Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members,

I have fancy pigeons and Homers. I have tried different feeds available in the shops - they eat only 50% of the food I give them. Rest is going as waste.

Can you please advise any good food brand available in USA which I can try for my pigeons

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sounds like you are feeding too much they only need 1 to 1 1/2 ounces per day. If you feed them too much they will pick out the seeds they really like and throw out the rest. Cut back on the amount and they will eat it all.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Try looking for a feeder that doesn't wast your food ones that they put there heads in and feed some come with holes on the side and others come with wooden doles. That can help. And do as white homers said don't over feed them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm really worried about my two pet pigeon's diet. I give them a mixture of whole wheat, Sorghum, pearl millet, little millets, barley, pulses and sunflower seeds flax seeds. One of them only eats whole wheat out of them and nothing else. I tried out fruit and vegetables but he will stare at me and get away.and the other one have a never ending appetite. He will eat throughout the day anything and everything.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How old are they, and how long have you had them. I wouldn't give too many sunflower and safflower seeds as they are high in fat. A lot wouldn't be good for them. You can add corn and peas.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Today I discovered 2 of my pigeon squab and their father having pigeon pox. I got an appointment with the vet on Sunday morning. Is there anything else I can do for them right now?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
The vet won't be able to do much for them. It has to run it's course. If it gets bad enough that they don't eat or drink, then you will have to hand feed them till they are well.
You need to block mosquitoes from getting to your birds, and that is usually how they get pox. It's also very contagious to the other birds. How old are they? Can you post a picture?
Are they kept in a loft where you can add screens to? They should be separated from the other birds.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You really need to start your own thread, as this is another thread on another topic. I will PM you on how.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes Jay3 i will post their pix tomorrow as now they are all sleeping. 2 squabs effected are 25 days old and their father 10 months he just had his 1st pox sign today on his nostril. And the squabs all around their eyes I'm worried

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes Jay3 i will post their pix tomorrow as now they are all sleeping. 2 squabs effected are 25 days old and their father 10 months he just had his 1st pox sign today on his nostril. And the squabs all around their eyes I'm worried
Can you start a new thread on this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts