Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received this one 2007 chocolate blue check homer pigeon from a breeder because he was trying to get his breeding stock lower for winter. This was about two years ago, and he was I guess "culled" out of his flock, because this bird had a really deformed beak overgrowth. When I first was starting with pigeons the breeder had told me that that bird looked like a young hen, and that she would be ready to breed right away. I took her home and introduced her to my loft. That bird had already been flown and was then a prisoner to my loft.
The following winter she looked kind of odd and it looked like her head was twisting in one direction and so I took her and released her out of my loft. It sort of looked like PMV to me so when I released her she flew off, and I thought that was the last of her. About three days later my father had trapped a wondering pigeon around our house in a cage with some seeds and when I took a look I had noticed it was the same bird that flew away from me. I decided to keep the bird even though it might of had PMV. Back about two years ago I had some wild type pigeons in my flock and they flew around for me. I had three wild type cocks flying for me and I began training that young homer to fly around with them because it seemed to like my area.
They were all slow trappers but I really enjoyed flying those guys, so when they were all done flying they would all trap and the wild type cocks would all go into the trap before the slow homer. The homer I would always have to open up the trap for it to go through, and it seemed not as smart as the wild type cocks. I flew these four birds throughout winter and they flew okay for me. One of the old blue check wild cocks, which was a flyer, began to not fly for me at all and would land quicker than the rest of the other birds. The white blotched wild type pigeon that also flew for me got taken by a hawk late that winter. I eventually got rid of the old wild blue check and so I had only those two birds; a wild blue bar with white flights cock and that chocolate check homer. They flew the rest of winter for me and throughout that whole winter i always remembered that that the homer was a horrible trapper and i would always have to open up the trap for it to trap. As spring rolled around the corner all my birds were loud and courting like crazy, and that homer began to court my other birds, and that was when I finally realized she was a cock bird and the breeder that had gave him to me was wrong about it's gender.
He eventually paired up to a white hen and they had a couple of unsuccessful hatching that year. He with that one blue check cock with white flights continued to fly for me over the spring and summer. As the homer had a mate, eggs, and babies he became a whole lot more motivated to trap and was learning how to use the trap. He was still quite slow at trapping, but he became faster and faster as he practiced more. By the time fall came by his mate learned how to fly with him and they flew all over the sky, and came in to trap after wards. He lost his mate one fall day and trapped in only with the wild blue bar. When winter came back the following year he was much better at trapping. My two flying birds were chased by cooper hawks numerous times and survived all of them. There were many times when hawks chased him and he flew away for the night and in the morning he would always be waiting for me to open up the trap for him to go in. There was this one instance, last winter when he flew at me because I was in front of the loft, and with super fast speed, I saw this huge female cooper hawk flying after him and they where so close I was pretty sure that my homer was surely going to die.
My homer flew over the fence and hit the ground because the hawk had him cornered and it got a hold of him. They were struggling around the ground together until I saw that the cooper had pulled off all of his tail feathers and they both took off into the sky again. The hawk was right on his tail and they flew off. I remember that one night I waited until it got dark outside at the trap for him but he never came back that night. I was really concerned that he got killed, but it was too dark to do anything so I closed the trap so no predators would get into my loft. The next morning I was hoping to myself that my chocolate check cock would be waiting at the trap for me to open it up for him. It was truly like "day sha vu" because when I walked to my loft I saw my beautiful homer waiting there for me. I was amazed that he out flew that cooper and as soon as I opened up the trap he went strait into the trap, and into my loft.
I was so proud of him that he escaped that near death experience. He eventually grew back all the tail feathers and I let him pair up with the choice of his hen and let him have babies. He personally has become one of my true favorite birds in my lofts even though he doesn't look that nice. He became very pro at diving towards my loft and trapping with in seconds. He now always acts like there is always some thing after him and is really afraid of flying solo.
I would throw him into the sky and he would fly at the loft and trap right away. He now is the best flyer and trapper in my loft and has become a great breeder also. This past summer he bread me four young birds and all those young birds seem to have a real sense of urgency. He is such a smart bird because when he sees a hawk he will try to stall them by flying around just randomly and diving into the trap as quick as he can. When he gets tossed solo he flies right into the loft. My young birds seem to lag around the loft more than the older birds because they don't seem to have the experience that the older birds do.
I do believe that some birds get faster due to experience. He has a beak that always overgrows and I would clip it but it tends to always grow back. I never thought that a bird that had already been flying around, could be homed to my area and get so fast just cause of past experiences. So that was my story about my ugly homer pigeon that became one of my favorite birds in my loft today. Thank you reading this:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts