Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I am relatively new to pigeons. I have a mini loft that I had several ybs in and a pair of prisoners from a fancier near me. The prisoners laid a couple of weeks ago and things were going well. I don't really like the idea of prisoners b/c of the lack of space, but my daughters help me with our new found hobby. This is the first set of eggs I have had and my girls were excited. Sunday I must have left the door to the loft open b/c the hen and sevearl ybs got out. She hung around the neighborhood that evening, but I haven't seen her since. The fancier I got her from hasn't seen her either. The cock stayed, but quit setting yesterday. I have several pair of race birds in breeder cages that are setting and one of the pair only had one egg. I took one of the eggs and put it under her and she is doing fine. The other I tried to put under another hen, but she cracked it when I went to put it in. Given that this good egg should hatch by the end of the week and the hen's original egg is only a week old, what are the chances she will successfully raise the other bird's egg?

Please before anyone jumps on me about space issues, I started a 6'x10' loft, which should be completed by this weekend. All I have left is the aviary. I realized that more room is a must if we are going to stay in this. I contacted my local race club and those guys are being a huge help.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if the foster hen's egg is only a week old and the abandoned one is going to hatch she and her mate will not have the pigeon milk in to feed the hatchling, you will have to raise this one yourself if it hatches.

to foster eggs they need to be laid with in 3 ot 5 days of each other.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info

If that's the hand I've been delt then I want to do what's most humane. Do I leave the egg until it hatches and then remove the yb? What/How do I feed it? Keep in mind this is my first clutch, so I know nothing but want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
If that's the hand I've been delt then I want to do what's most humane. Do I leave the egg until it hatches and then remove the yb? What/How do I feed it? Keep in mind this is my first clutch, so I know nothing but want to do the right thing.
If you want this egg to hatch as it is an older egg, that is up to you. If you decide to do that, then you will have to do some reading on the hand feeding of a squab in the resourse part of this site.. do all your reading and you should have alot of knowledge to start with, and the PT folks who feed orphans all the time will be here Im sure to help you along. you may want to start a new thread if come across any problems you can't figure out.. you will have a week to think about it and get supplies... just to be ready in case it does hatch. I would say you could try to candle the egg to see if it is fertile, but it can be tricky and be dropped in the process. I say it either will hatch or it won't so it is up to you to candle it, and or leave it to possibley hatch, and then take it in to raise it. At which point you would be the surrogate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts