Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're off on holiday in less than a week, so I went out to but two pet tags from our local pet shop for our two dogs while they stay at friends houses.
Just as I was walking into the town centre my dog, Poppy, walked up to pigeon who did nothing but walk two paces. I then walked up to it and it walked a little way but not like they do usually. Thankfully I had my brother with me so I got him to hold the dogs while I attempted to catch him.
I was hoping he would fly off but he made no attempt to fly at all. I picked him up and took him back to my car where I have a pet carrier-I didn't leave him in the car but got my brother to look after him while I quickly ran back into town for the tags and checking all the other pigeons about.
Anyway, I've brought him home and put him in our summer house/shed where its warm and quiet. He has a head tilt and star gazes on one side. I briefly picked him up to look at him and his head went completely upside down. He is very skinny and obviously been picked on as he has several bald patches on his head. I would guess he's from this years young as his beak is fairly prominent.
I've put a lot of seed and EMP down for him which he has immediately started pecking at-not all successdfully, but some is getting down. I've also offered him a drink, when he realised what it was he took three long drinks from the cup.

I've already popped into the vets this morning, but they're now closed until four. My main issue is finding someone to care for him while he's suffering from PMV, the timing is yet again not brilliant as we are off on holiday in less than a week. There is no was I would have left him there and now Ive got him Im going to make sure he makes it. He looks very tired which is understandable, he's probably been wandering around, not eating much for some time.

I can take him to the vets at four if I need to, but am reluctant to leave him as a pigeon with symptoms of PMV (I didnt even know about it at the time) was PTS. I will phone the retreat but Im not sure that they really treat animals.

XxX

Attachments

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Charlotte,

Please don't take him to the vet, if they diagnose PMV they are obliged to report it to DEFRA (because it can cause lentogenic Newcastle Disease in poultry) and put it down.

Can you get it to Pigeon Recovery in Sutton? They take pigeons with PMV.

You have to leave him in a box outside, which is risky for other pigeons, but Jayne (PigeonQueen) can telephone them for you.

Cynthia

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
No, they're not. London Wildcare puts PMV pigeons to sleep.

If anything Pigeon Recovery is connected to The Retreat, they take a lot of the London pigeons there so that they can keep the suspected PMV ones. I know that Lyn and Maggie work at the Retreat one day a week.

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really!! I love the retreat, how animal rescue centres are supposed to be.

Ok, well, just had a change of plans, I'm taking him down their now.

XxX

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
When are you taking him?

He will be more successful at picking up seed if you put a lot of it in a deep container.

Cynthia

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dropped him off at about half three today, the lady obviously has quite a few PMV cases.
I gave him the seed in a very deep bowl but he was half resting up against one side of the box and was busy pecking the floor so I poured all the seed out in front of him and he started eating straight away.

I knew I was at the right place-the house is a little hidden but there were two hutches outside the front door for pigeons with Pigeon Recovery on a plaque.

He was bright and lively considering the circumstances.

Thank you for your help, Im glad Ive got him somewhere he'll be cared for.

XxX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts