Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i have a 3 week oldish squab that might be sick. My sister said it pooped on her and it was yellowish and smelled really bad. When i see the bird it looks like its breathing heavily somewhat but that might be because its young? il see if i can get a video of it.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Sounds like I could be canker. Do you have the meds to treat the baby?

Is the baby being fed by its parents or is it one you are feeding with a formula?
Have you looked in its mouth for any yellowish blotches indicating canker?
What about the parents, have you looked in their mouths?

Looks like you got your homework cut out for you before you make the video.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like I could be canker. Do you have the meds to treat the baby?

Is the baby being fed by its parents or is it one you are feeding with a formula?
Have you looked in its mouth for any yellowish blotches indicating canker?
What about the parents, have you looked in their mouths?

Looks like you got your homework cut out for you before you make the video.
I have meds for canker ( Spartrix)

The baby can eat and drink by itself, but the mother might be feeding it but i havent seen her do so.

My dad looked inside its mouth and just said its dry

Parents show no sign of canker.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
It doesn't look good and is definitely having a hard time breathing.
I noticed a fair amount of poop around it and as the poop dries, it becomes airborne which you and your birds breath and that old dried poop can cause problems. As best you can, it makes a huge difference to the birds health if you do a daily clean-up. For yourself, always wear a mask to protect yourself.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Clint, you need to take this baby up right now. It appears very sick to me and if something isn't done soon, it will die. When we're facing something like this, I immediately start with an antibiotic like Baytril along with Nystatin. You need to get it on a heating pad and a soft, donut shaped bed so it can rest more comfortably.

And, Clint, I really hate to say this but you need to get in your loft and give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clint, you need to take this baby up right now. It appears very sick to me and if something isn't done soon, it will die. When we're facing something like this, I immediately start with an antibiotic like Baytril along with Nystatin. You need to get it on a heating pad and a soft, donut shaped bed so it can rest more comfortably.

And, Clint, I really hate to say this but you need to get in your loft and give it a good cleaning.
i clean that specific loft every 2-3 days, il start cleaning it more often.
My dad gave it i think half a tablet of spartrix.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Clint, are you going to take her in your house? Do you have any antibiotics? Part of her problem may be that she is not being fed enough but I would be wary of trying to feed her anything right now. Can you get any fluids down her? Or, take her to a vet for some tests?

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Clint, I just looked at your second video and this baby is in bad shape if you don't do something soon. It breaks my heart.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Do what Maggie says, Clint. I don't think Spartrix one time will take care of the problem.
In addition to what Maggie has recommend, I think you should treat all your Pigeons for canker.
Your birds also need some kind of nesting material.

·
Registered
25,396 Posts
You need to isolate this youngster and keep it warm on heating pad, out of noise, traffic, air drafts and out of too much light.

Make sure the bird is getting the correct dose of spartrix, and you probably should also get the flagyl if you don't have it.Please make sure the baby is getting enough to eat and drink.

You need to flock treat also.

You asked for help, you got it, please follow it.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Clint, in order for us to help you, you gotta give us more information. Personally, I don't think this is canker but possibly a respiratory problem.

When you say you moved it to another cage - what does that mean? Can you list any medicines you have?

Is this one of your IHF babies? I know how much you care for them and know you want this baby to survive but c'mon, give us a bit more info instead of one liners.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put the baby in a cage and brought it in my house in a dark room. The only med i have is spartrix and there are not vets around. i dont know what else to say if theres something missing please ask. and yes its one of my ihf babies.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh i just remembered about 5 days ago he\she was walking and triped from a fall of 4-5 inches. This might account for its unbalance maybe because he doesnt do much with the leg. but its not broken and the next day he was walking fine again.

right now hes in a dark\ quiet room and when i listen i cant hear him breathing, which is a good thing right?

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
You are going to need to feed the baby and probably small amounts at a time. If it does have canker in its crop, it might not tolerate a lot of food right now. How does its crop feel. Is there food in it?
The baby needs to be kept warm with a heating pad set on low. It also needs a towel underneath it and not just a bare metal cage. Not even newspaper is enough. Something soft.

·
Registered
25,396 Posts
Actually, if you are hearing any rasping sound or gurgling or breathing, then perhaps this maybe a respiratory infection, which requires other medication.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Clint, you know we have many members in CA. I'm not sure where you are but do you know any members near by or even other pigeon breeders that you could get medicine from?

1 - 20 of 112 Posts