Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
i asked them before they said whenever their bird gets sick they give it a pill and it gets better. they dont have a range of meds just one "miracle pill" =\. I dont know the name off hand but its an antibiotic. i think i still may have one of the pills.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
See if you can find out what kind of pill this is. I'm in and out but I promise to keep checking in because you know I want this baby to pull through.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Can you contact these people you got the pill from and find out what it is and if they'll give you some more?

Also, I doubt that a 4-5 inch fall would have caused this.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
I just PM'ed you the names and phone #'s of two AU members that are near you. Also, here is the info for a good avian vet in Modesto:

Veterinary Medical Associates: Kahler J S

204 W Granger Ave
Modesto, CA 95350

(209) 527-5855

I believe this is the vet that our member, Marian Isaac, uses, and if so, then s/he is a very good avian vet.

I hope you can get some help ASAP for your little one.

Terry

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Clint,
This is a critical situation as it is likely there is more going on with your bird than canker. Likely your other birds are ill as well. When birds are sick, they pretend to be ok for as long as they can. It is a defense against natural predators. In the wild, a sick bird is easy pickings. When you can tell a bird is sick, IT IS REALLY, REALLY SICK.
If you are going to keep Pigeons you must be prepared with the basic medicines and first aid. It is magical thinking that your birds will never need them. We all need to be prepared.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Clint,
This is a critical situation as it is likely there is more going on with your bird than canker. Likely your other birds are ill as well. When birds are sick, they pretend to be ok for as long as they can. It is a defense against natural predators. In the wild, a sick bird is easy pickings. When you can tell a bird is sick, IT IS REALLY, REALLY SICK.
If you are going to keep Pigeons you must be prepared with the basic medicines and first aid. It is magical thinking that your birds will never need them. We all need to be prepared.
I didnt know they did that , thanks for the info

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
What I'm waiting to hear is, what are you going to do about all your new information?
I really want your baby to get well and your other pigeons to be ok too.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What I'm waiting to hear is, what are you going to do about all your new information?
I really want your baby to get well and your other pigeons to be ok too.
my other pigeons are great. this bird was isolated from all birds but its mother and father. both mother and father are ok also. i have to leave to go to a funeral right now but i will be back. Im going through a hard time right now and now this happens too. i took some pictures because it just pooped.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Put a towel underneath the baby, Not a paper towel. It's sick and the floor of the cage is slippery and cold.
Remember what I told you about birds not acting sick when they are?
I'm sorry you are going through a hard time now but its about to get worse if all your birds are sick.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
That's some pretty nasty yellow urates. And the respiration rate's running around 60. Add the two up and you've probably got a bacterial infection that's causing anemia BUT there can also be inflammation in the lungs as well. Since there are a few different things that will do this, it's a little bit of shooting blind. There are a couple of treatment options that you could try, either one of which may not do any good depending on what it is. If it's one kind of problem, then a Tetracycline which you can get at a feed store will work. If it's the other type of problem, then you'd want to go with Baytril. Metronidazole would be supportive, especially if canker is involved.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
You probably better start a chart on the respiration rate every couple of hours or so. That doesn't help the bird, it just helps to give those reading the thread more info about the clinical picture.

Pidgey

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
That's some pretty nasty yellow urates. And the respiration rate's running around 60. Add the two up and you've probably got a bacterial infection that's causing anemia BUT there can also be inflammation in the lungs as well. Since there are a few different things that will do this, it's a little bit of shooting blind. There are a couple of treatment options that you could try, either one of which may not do any good depending on what it is. If it's one kind of problem, then a Tetracycline which you can get at a feed store will work. If it's the other type of problem, then you'd want to go with Baytril. Metronidazole would be supportive, especially if canker is involved.

Pidgey
Spartrix can be substituted for baytril? il see if i can get a ride to the feed store i bought the spartrix from and see if they have tetracycline.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts