Pigeon-Talk banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Can it be?

Young Bird Sickness

Young bird disease has spread rapidly around the world in recent years, causing severe losses among young birds.

Pathogen:
This is a mixed infection, involving viruses and bacteria (especially E.coli and cocci, but also protozoa).
The pathogens are transmitted by air, dust and contact between birds, as well as via communal drinking water and feed.
Outbreaks of the disease are promoted by stress factors such as weaning, the introduction of strange birds into a loft, vaccination, heat (accelerated bacterial growth, water shortage), training of juveniles (basketing) and young pigeon flights.

Symptoms of the disease:
The disease can take two forms:

Sudden death not preceded by any perceptible signs of illness:
A typical scenario sees young pigeons released from the loft for their daily training (on a hot summer's day, perhaps), whereupon they fly around for an hour and then return to the loft. They land on the roof or on the alighting ledge, do not respond to the breeder's attempts to entice them into the loft, and die within the space of a few hours.

Death preceded by visible signs of illness:
During the period between the onset of symptoms and death (lasting from 3 days to 1 week), the following symptoms are observed: lack of activity, puffed-up plumage, refusal of feed, swelling of the crop, weight loss, greenish-yellow faeces in puddles, vomiting.

Recognition of the disease:
Owing to the numerous pathogens involved in this disease, it is only possible to make a tentative diagnosis.

Similar conditions:
E.coli infection, hexamitiasis.

Treatment:
There is no vaccine against young pigeon disease that could be used to prevent infection. However, sick pigeons can be treated with adenosan. And timely use of adenosan may also prevent an outbreak of the disease in birds suspected of infection.

1. adenosan is used:
For at least 7 days at the first symptoms of young pigeon disease.
If the disease is only recognised at a later stage, it is additionally necessary to use a chemotherapeutic agent with antibiotic activity (preferably furazolidon+) in order to contain the bacterial infection.The active ingredient furazolidone has been shown to possess specific efficacy against E.coli infections in the gut.

2. adenosan is used in the following situations, where there is reason to fear infection as a result of contact with other young pigeons:
For a 7-day period when introducing new youngsters to the flock.
During the flying season, for 3 days after flights.

3. adenosan is used when a disease outbreak is likely as a result of a challenge to the immune system:
In connection with vaccinations (paramyxovirus infection, Salmonella, pigeon pox) - for 3 days before immunisation and 4 days thereafter.

4. adenosan is used where a change in gut flora predisposes birds to a disease outbreak.
When treating birds for trichomonads, we recommend parallel administration of adenosan over a period, beginning 3 days prior to treatment.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
i just looked inside its mouth with my dad and it Seems like it DOES have yellow stuff in its throat and tongue area. Im not sure if its food that he tried to vomit out or canker. I think there was also some white in there too ( which may be because the canker is curing from the spartrix i gave it. when i go home from work il try to take a picture .

also , it does not use its legs instead it uses its wings to aid it in walking. When it walks it falls forward but it uses its wings to keep balance. I can still see food in its crop and i doubt it ate anything today or yesterday ( from when his crop was full).

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I'm wondering if the fall he took wasn't higher than three or four inches? Maybe take another look at where he fell from, and I think it might be higher than you originally thought, especially if his legs aren't working. That may be splay-leg beginning or he could have hurt them in the fall, but not from a short distance of three or four inches.

Careful that the crop doesn't feel full, but have air in it instead. Measure out a bit of food for him so you can see exactly if he is eating, that is a big help. Then you can know for sure if you need to supplement him.

If you have any old towels, t-shirts, flannels, sheets, anything soft such as cloth, it is absolutely essential for him to be on a padded, soft area, but one he can get a grip on if he tries (like a shirt). In this situation, I wouldn't expect him to be eating on his own (from what I've seen/heard of pigeons), so try to keep a close eye on the amount he's eating. Good luck, I'm glad he's feeling a bit better.:eek:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
This morning his eyes seem alittle watery, i think it may have salmanosis (paratythoid). But if i get medicine for it how am i supposed to give it to him? im scared he will choke on water.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
You get the medicine ASAP and we'll get you through the dosing part.

Pidgey
I have found a feed store that sells variety of medicine, what medicine should i buy ? he said he has spartrix and a variety of other medicines but i have to go in and see which one is correct.

I suspect the disease to be paratythoid or ecoli ( ecoli after reading the other thread that was about yellow droppings in poop)

~~~ Also its crop area is inflated with air.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Medicines for treating Paratyphoid kinda' depend on a few things but ask him about these:

Baytril (Enrofloxacin)
Bactrim, CoTrim, SulfaTrim (Trimethoprim/Sulfa)
Furaltadone (that's one of the chemical names, don't know any trade names)

Pidgey

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Medicines for treating Paratyphoid kinda' depend on a few things but ask him about these:

Baytril (Enrofloxacin)
Bactrim, CoTrim, SulfaTrim (Trimethoprim/Sulfa)
Furaltadone (that's one of the chemical names, don't know any trade names)

Pidgey

so far my list is

cipro
baytril
sulpha trimethprim
albon
sulmet
aureomycin

and the ones you said

are those good? which one would u recomend ? like top 5 or something. is there one that treats both ecoli and paratythoid?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
i called them they said they have sulmet in powder form. im goingto get it right now . can someone tell me the dosage i should give the bird? and how do i give it , i cant give alot to it because it doesnt accept anything.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, Sulmet wouldn't be the drug you'd use for Paratyphoid normally, not that we know it's Paratyphoid anyhow. But if you come home with that, you might as well do it this way: Mix one level 1/4 teaspoon* (1/4 tsp) of the powder into two tablespoons* (2 tbsp) of water and give the bird 1/4 teaspoon of that mix divided into a couple of doses 12 hours apart, each day.

You're going to have to get it down the throat somehow so what kind of stuff do you have for that? Do you have a dropper?

Pidgey

*Mother-Supplied kitchen measuring spoons

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
ok i came home with the sulmet , it says for chicken and turkeys but the person said it works for pigeons also.. as well as cows and pigs. I also bought a dropper . Can you please list exacly step by step what i should do? i didnt really understand the directions , pidgy, can u rephrase it?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
ok so far , i put 1 table spoon of sulmet in about 75% of a gallon , and i put 3ml of the solution in his beak with a dropper. he took it well and now hes resting in a dark room again.

but when i opened his mouth it seems he has yellow stuff in there and he smells bad too.

He might have Two diseases , one canker and the other salmanosis or something

on the sulmet it also said use for any unknown internal problems

Is it ok to give it spartrix too with the sulmet?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am not clear on if you have Spartrix or Flagyl but you should also give that. If he smells he might have cancer. Yellow deposits inside his mouth is most likely canker.

Reti

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well, now I've got to figure out how in the world much medicine you actually gave him...

Pidgey
My dad mixed the solution, it was 1 tablepoon in 3\4 of a gallon, and we we gave the bird 3 ML of that solution. ( which was close to 1 table spoon when i poured water in the drooper and filled the spoon)

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Okay, give him three of exactly what you've already given him per day: 3 ml in the early morning, 3 ml midafternoon and 3 ml at bedtime. Keep giving the Spartrix, one per day.

Pidgey

61 - 80 of 112 Posts