Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey can anyone offer experiance (or theory) on how sucsesful it would be to swap squabs in nests, ??
the reason i ask is i am hand feeding 4 babys and have a further 6 in the nests i want the birds to know the are birds and to have the pigeon contctc and be feed by them 2
thought if i swap some of the birds day on day off they will get this contact and will get a better feel for the other birds????

thoughts?

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
hey can anyone offer experiance (or theory) on how sucsesful it would be to swap squabs in nests, ??
the reason i ask is i am hand feeding 4 babys and have a further 6 in the nests i want the birds to know the are birds and to have the pigeon contctc and be feed by them 2
thought if i swap some of the birds day on day off they will get this contact and will get a better feel for the other birds????

thoughts?
What happened to the parents of the 4?

I think that is a great idea, for the nutritional value-especially if these are very young and need pigeon milk. I do believe it is good for them to have the interaction, though they can survive fine as long as they get interaction with pigeons when they are grown up.

I have a pair of pets who I hand raised-(very traumatic beginning), and had no interaction with the grown up birds until they were grown, they have adapted just fine, and are even raising a baby at this time-for a friend. Even though they still behave like pets and fly to my shoulder, their instincts are fine and they will peck and wing slap me when I get near the baby.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts

thoughts?
How old are all these babies? You can only switch babies up to a certain age. Once they start to feather, the parents won't except them and will most likely just beat them up. If you are hand raising 4 birds, for whatever reason, you might as will finish doing the job. If you're talking about babies that are 4 or 5 days old, then yes, you COULD switch them out with the six, but honestly, by the time the babies get old enough to realize they are pigeons, they'll be too old to put in a nest and get fed by the parent birds.
The 4 you are hand raising are not going to think they're not pigeons. When they are old enough, they'll adapt to being a pigeon just fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts