Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just joined up but have been reading these forums for a few months now. I just started keeping homing pigeons. I built my own coop but it was smaller then the amount of birds I wound up with (seems to happen in all the hobbies I take up). I got really luck this weekend and found someone who was giving away a much nicer, larger coop that is divided into 2 separate spaces for birds. My question is, these birds just recently homed to the one I built and I'm curious as to what I should do so they home to the new one. I set the new one up about 10 feet away from the old one but have not taken the old one down just because Im not sure what the next step is. I searched the forums but only found things regarding moving the birds to completely new homes miles away. I don't have the experience in this but this new coop is so much better I couldnt pass on a better home for my birds. Will they home to it or are they locked to the old one I had them in.

PS- I currently have 7 of the 10 birds I started out with, the 7 I have all have been released from the coop and have all returned using the trap door. I have NOT taken them from my home yet, only released them in the yard where they have flown around a bit but nothing too far away.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I haven't had to do this and I am sure there are people who are on here to give you more info but here is what I would do. I would put the birds in the new loft and get them used to it. Trap train them to the new loft and give them a couple of weeks to get used to it. If it is right near the old one I don't think you will have a problem just don't let them in the old loft when they are out and only feed and water them in the new loft. It may take a few tries for them to go to the new one but I don't think it will be hard at all. You may want to keep the old one for a breeding loft. Also if it has an aviary when you let them out keep one or two in the aviary so the other birds can see them it may help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a small aviary on the old one that I could easily remove and put on the new one with just a small cut on the side. Since the new coop is 2 in 1 I was planning to use 1 side for breeders and the other to keep the rest of the birds in.

·
Registered
862 Posts
A lot of racers go through this in a different but similar way . When they transfer the young birds at the end of the season to the old bird section . If the old loft is big enough , and the young birds are pretty young , I would let the young birds get use to the new loft being there . Soon as they seem at ease transfer them . But that's up to you , it should work either way . It's mostly you that makes it home to them , then the loft/surroundings .
Kurps

·
Registered
433 Posts
One time I had a small pen that had several pair in it. I burned it down and moved the birds to a larger pen. In the spring I let them out. They came to the spot where the previous pen was and milled around there for weeks , they would go back to the other pen at night though - weird.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts