Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my pet doves will often sit in his dish with his head low and his butt high and make soft coos while twitching his wings. Sometimes he just happens to be doing it if I walk by, but he will also do it if I stand by his cage for a few minutes. He will also let me pet him while he does this and will continue to sit and coo softly as I pet him. I think that he might be doing this for attention since he does it whenever I stand by his cage for a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
I only have had pigeons, not doves, but it sounds like the bird is a female because the behavior you are describing sounds like she is seeing you as a potential mate If you pet their backs they think you want to be their special "friend."

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Provide her with a nest and she will lay eggs and incubate them. She's probably sitting in the food dish twitching her wings, cause that's the closest thing to a nest she's got.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know that the wing twitching is a mating thing, but I always figured that since HE always did that when I got near his cage that he might be doing it for attention. You should also know that ring neck doves are much tamer than pigeons and will gladly allow their owners to pet them. They're very social birds, so its not surprising that he lets me pet him while he's in his dish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts