Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you haven't alread heard but there is a flu in mexico and U.s. that is a swine/avain/human flu. And we can get it from birds. So I was wondering how worried are you that your birds will get this flu, and transfer it on to you?

I remember seeing on this forum, that it was unlikely that your pigeons would get avain flu. Would this be possible with this flu?

I will try to find some links, on this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you haven't alread heard but there is a flu in mexico and U.s. that is a swine/avain/human flu. And we can get it from birds. So I was wondering how worried are you that your birds will get this flu, and transfer it on to you?

I remember seeing on this forum, that it was unlikely that your pigeons would get avain flu. Would this be possible with this flu?

It's some scary stuff. The last time I checked the CDC did'nt realy know what was going on...They cannot pinpoint the origin's of the virus.
If it's airbourne, we're all at risk. However, I hav'nt pressed the panic button yet.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I don't think it is airborne I will keep looking, but it can be transfered by human to human. so some people are expecting a pandemic. I hope it doesn't turn out like that. I will keep looking for more info.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Of all the agencies of the Us goverment, they are the least I trust.
But, I am sure they are working overtime to resolve this.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here's your up-to-date best-info.

They're taking apart the virus in labs right now, to see what its strengths are. they've already worked out which medications it's resistant to, and which it's not.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...48397,-104.873385&spn=62.487058,88.330078&z=4
I have been to so many area's in the world. There is only a time barrier that would keep the western emosphere immune.
The tiime has come. The desease's, only African's would.We have them too.
Excuse my English

·
Registered
5,367 Posts

I am more concerned that an outbreak in my area, could cause back yard flocks of birds, to be "Depopulated".

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
No I don't think it is airborne I will keep looking, but it can be transfered by human to human. so some people are expecting a pandemic. I hope it doesn't turn out like that. I will keep looking for more info.
It is airborn. That's why everyone is wearing a mask. :confused:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I think I'd be worried about spreading something to my birds.
I had read somewhere that pigeons don't carry the avian flu also. It wasn't in here. It was some article online somewhere.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My concern is along the lines with Warren (Smith Family Loft). If the media etc. put out enough propganda that this can be spread by birds, people will become parinoid and the feral populations of pigeons will be the first to be blamed.

I feed at my home a flock of approx. 75 feral birds. I can see my neighbors coming at me with a vengence.

I hope this does not become a pandemic and that the news media is not going to use the usual scare tatics that would put all of our bird in jeopardy.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
It's mostly a swine flu methinks with avian and human flu genetic material as well. It's an A/H1N1. The avian flu that they were worried about in birds was an H5N1 version, nowhere near the same thing.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
It's mostly a swine flu methinks with avian and human flu genetic material as well. It's an A/H1N1. The avian flu that they were worried about in birds was an H5N1 version, nowhere near the same thing.

Pidgey
THANK YOU PIDGEY,I AGREE WITH YOU. .........GEORGE;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
My concern is along the lines with Warren (Smith Family Loft). If the media etc. put out enough propganda that this can be spread by birds, people will become parinoid and the feral populations of pigeons will be the first to be blamed.

I feed at my home a flock of approx. 75 feral birds. I can see my neighbors coming at me with a vengence.

I hope this does not become a pandemic and that the news media is not going to use the usual scare tatics that would put all of our bird in jeopardy.
I hear ya Louise. The exterminating companies will be jumping on the bandwagon soon. Anything to make a buck. Scare tactics are what they use. I feed a flock of ferrals in my yard also. Actually, they had all but disappeared this winter. Hawks strikes a couple of times a week. They were relentless this year. Out of 35 birds, I'd see maybe two or three. Just this past week, they are returning. But I have one neighbor in particular, who hates everyone and everything. She lives right next door to me. I sure don't need her starting anything about the flock. She doesn't even know I have pigeons. She thinks the add on on the back of the house is a porch or something. And I'd like to keep it that way. I don't need her making waves now.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
This from another forum that's specifically devoted to tracking flus (flutrackers; and I always thought we were odd... ):

"My (non-scientist) guess is that the "binding" areas of the virus have changed enough that they will no longer fit a bird. They're the "keys" that a flu uses to "open" the door to the human cell. Birds have small keyholes and humans have big ones. An Avian influenza must "grow" its key to fit the larger "keyhole" of a human before it can infect, so using the larger key on a small keyhole won't work. Put another way, a 50 YO "plump" lady can no longer fit into her size 5 prom gown, so there is little hope she will wear it."

Pidgey

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This flu is a real whopper, by the way. Death counts are well above what's being posted in the main stream media. Doctors and nurses are dying as well even with the all the preventative measures so you can see the potential for a real catastrophe in the making.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/8018428.stm

Pidgey
Thanks for sharing that. That was really scary to read. Why aren't they stopping people from flying in and out of there? Can you even imagine if this thing travels everywhere?:eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts