Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i want to swap eggs under pigeons to get them to raise the babies how close laying wise do they need to be. Will tthey kow if the are setting 21 days or does it need to be 17 on the money. thanx

·
Registered
393 Posts
If i want to swap eggs under pigeons to get them to raise the babies how close laying wise do they need to be. Will tthey kow if the are setting 21 days or does it need to be 17 on the money. thanx
Hey Barry.
You have to have the cycle in place, which is 18 to 21 day's. If you want to breed more from your favourite pair, you pull them after 2/3 day's and put them under a pair that has just layed. the question is kind of vague, but I think I know what your talking about.
The important thing is not to stress the hen.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Depends on the pair but real close. I would say within a day either way. If you press your luck you could loose the eggs.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
This is easily done, but the timing of incubation with both pairs needs to be similar. Usually, if the sets of eggs are laid within 3 days of each other, the switch goes uneventfully.
If the babies hatch too early, the foster parents will not have sufficient crop milk, and the babies will perish or develop poorly. If they hatch too late, the foster parents may desert the eggs or already be on the downside of crop milk production.

the eggs can also be held for 3 to 5 days to wait for a pair to lay....

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Agree, I read in some thread that an egg can be held upto 6 days from hatch day for switching, any later than that may not result in embriyo development and also do not refrigerate the eggs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Agree, I read in some thread that an egg can be held upto 6 days from hatch day for switching, any later than that may not result in embriyo development and also do not refrigerate the eggs.
I used to breed japanese quails and kept eggs for very long. Basically, eggs lose 2% fertility per day until a week, then it drops much faster, after 2 weeks they are usable but close to duds. Keep in a cool place as if it gets warm, they will start to develop (without success).

If you have a bird who lays infertile eggs, such as a young breeder, it is good to switch it's eggs with one who is a good layer. That way you can increase production by 50% until the young breeder gets more experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts