Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me, my ring-necked dove has got a swollen,closed rt.eye and i have absolutely no idea on what to do and if possible please do not say take her to the vet, my funds are extremely limited and she is about 12-13 yrs old and I've had her about 2yrs and she has always been what looks like a very healthy bird. She is my only pet and I love her and do not want to lose her if at all possible. Any help whatsoever please let me know. Thank You all for any ideas at all.:confused:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Are there any other symptoms, like discharge from the eye? Can you post a pic?

Not knowing what it is I can only advise to put a drop of colloidal silver in the eye, it seems to help most any issue with eye for my pigeons. You can purchase it at any organic health food store.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The colloidal silver is a very good suggestion, but if it is something a little deeper with regards to infection (this condition is sometimes called "one-eye-cold) she may need the help of an antibiotic. Depending where you are, tropical fish stores usually can be counted on to have a good selection of antibiotics, I know they will say for fish, but the same drugs are used for birds as well. See if you can buy some doxycycline and if not this drug, Chlortetracycline or Tetracycline will do. If you are in an area where there are no tropical fish stores, many Petco stores have Ornacycline or Maracyn TC, these are both Tetracycline (note: Mardel makes a number of meds with similar names, but have different active drug, just make sure whatever brand you buy is a drug from the Tetracycline family of drugs) We will help you mix it up into a med you can use on your little one, you will also need a syringe (the kind without the needle, 1cc size as well-- from any drug store).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts