Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my new Pletinckx arrivals has swollen feet at the base and i can tell theyre bothering him/her because he/she tries to sit down as much as possible. Im am concerned because i justlost one of the new arrivals:( Im not sure why though. It was havin diahhrea and was drinking fine but i dont think it was old enough for the guy to ship it to me. I tried to hand feed it seeds whenever i could but i guess it just didnt cut it. It drankwell and everything though.
SO i am really concerned about this bird wth the swollen feet. It looks healthy otherwise. The swollen part is the base/pad of the foot and it feels hot. What do i do? The birds eats and drinks healthy, i also wormed it when it arrived and applied scatt.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
One of my new Pletinckx arrivals has swollen feet at the base and i can tell theyre bothering him/her because he/she tries to sit down as much as possible. Im am concerned because i justlost one of the new arrivals:( Im not sure why though. It was havin diahhrea and was drinking fine but i dont think it was old enough for the guy to ship it to me. I tried to hand feed it seeds whenever i could but i guess it just didnt cut it. It drankwell and everything though.
SO i am really concerned about this bird wth the swollen feet. It looks healthy otherwise. The swollen part is the base/pad of the foot and it feels hot. What do i do? The birds eats and drinks healthy, i also wormed it when it arrived and applied scatt.

Was the bird that died in the same group of birds that your new Pletinckx arrival was in? Did you get them all from the same breeder?

I would tend to think possible Paratyphoid if there are no broken bones
there. Have you checked for broken bones in that foot? Do you have Baytril
on hand?

fp

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I think I would start Baytril whether it's bumblefoot or paratyphoid, though it sounds like bumblefoot to me. I have a young roller hen that suffered two bouts of bumblefoot this spring and I've no idea why. I had never seen a case before and took her to my vet. He treated her with a new generation fluoroquinolone antibiotic (I forget the name). It cleared up but a few weeks later the other foot became infected. It's odd because I clean my loft every day, etc. The second time I treated her with Baytril that I had on hand and it cleared up. Since Baytril is also the drug of choice for paratyhpoid (salmonellosis) I think it's your best bet in this case.

The other thing that seemed to help my little hen was that I moved her from our main loft, which has a painted wood floor that I scrape daily to our old aviary, which has a dirt floor and wood shavings. Perhaps the shavings are easier on her feet. At any rate she hasn't had any more foot trouble since I moved her. Soft bedding material should help make your pigeon's sore foot feel better.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Well, the other bird did have diarhea and also subsequently died, so if from the
same loft, one would think about Paratyphoid w/the described symptoms. I
would check for a break in that foot none the less.

fp

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was the bird that died in the same group of birds that your new Pletinckx arrival was in? Did you get them all from the same breeder?

I would tend to think possible Paratyphoid if there are no broken bones
there. Have you checked for broken bones in that foot? Do you have Baytril
on hand?

fp
The bird that died was in the same group. However, i dont think that there are any broken bones.
I dont have any baytril either.

ALSO i now have noticed that one of the black diamonds has droopy wings and they seem to lightly spasm?!?
I have to say, when i got the first batch of birds from this breeder, they were GREAT and VERY healthy and also vaccinated for PMV.

The second batch of birds wasnt so great. He didnt vaccinate them for PMV and now im having all these problems. I think that when he found out how old i was, he could send me any birds he liked. When igot the first four pletinckx there was thiss guy i met half way with and he had also picked up his birds along with mine.

The four oringinal birds are doing great! vacc for PMV, paratyphoid, wormed, and have NO parasites.

Now i get these birds and i am very discouraged!

OK, so i need to treat that bird for "bumlefoot" What do i need?

Now, i have to figure whats wrong with this other bird.

I just cant wait till i get the breeders i need and dont have to intorduce any more and get some stable breeding going and maintain healthy birds.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fp,
i still have that med that treats for a number of things like sinusitis and salmonilla. Vetafarm-something?
Should i try that witht he bumblefoot?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
What exactly is the medication you have? Vetafarm makes a whole line of products. It sounds like your birds may have more than one problem.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Pixie, without the lab work, we are looking at symptoms and possibilities.
I rather doubt that it is bumblefoot as you are having problems w/in a group
of birds all acquired at the same time. Bumblefoot doesn't show up in waves
through a loft or a 'source' of birds, i.e., a breeder.

Did you check to make sure that there were no broken bones in that bird's
foot that is currently swollen?

A light spasm in a wing could just be a wing twitch which pigeons typically
do for a variety of reasons. The fact that the wing is drooping may be
significant, however. I hope you are keeping these birds isolated for 6 weeks from your resident loft birds.

To treat for Paratyphoid (which does show up in an Articular form which
affects joints in the wings and legs/feet, the medication of choice would
be Baytril. Paratyphoid also shows up in an intestinal form which will
give a bird diarhea. It will eventually kill a bird if left untreated and can
be brought into a loft in many different ways, one of which would be through
the presences of rodents, either rats or mice. Once in a loft, it will spread
through a loft and can infect one, two, three, and more until treated and
the loft put on a hygiene plan.

Bumblefoot is not common in smaller birds as compared to some of the larger
birds who are noted for getting the problem. It wouldn't sweep through a
loft in a typical situation as there are mechanics to how it develops in a foot.

fp

The bird that died was in the same group. However, i dont think that there are any broken bones.
I dont have any baytril either.

ALSO i now have noticed that one of the black diamonds has droopy wings and they seem to lightly spasm?!?
I have to say, when i got the first batch of birds from this breeder, they were GREAT and VERY healthy and also vaccinated for PMV.

The second batch of birds wasnt so great. He didnt vaccinate them for PMV and now im having all these problems. I think that when he found out how old i was, he could send me any birds he liked. When igot the first four pletinckx there was thiss guy i met half way with and he had also picked up his birds along with mine.

The four oringinal birds are doing great! vacc for PMV, paratyphoid, wormed, and have NO parasites.

Now i get these birds and i am very discouraged!

OK, so i need to treat that bird for "bumlefoot" What do i need?

Now, i have to figure whats wrong with this other bird.

I just cant wait till i get the breeders i need and dont have to intorduce any more and get some stable breeding going and maintain healthy birds.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Pixie, here's a link to the Pigeon Supply Houses that is in the Resource Section:

http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=9455

In the very last post from Treesa, there are three links listed all of
which carry Baytril in one form or another. You might find the pills
to be easier for you to dispense to your birds. Enroflaxyn is the generic
form of Baytril.

fp

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Pixie, if you post what the medication says on the container, we would better
know how to direct you...

In the meantime, here's an example of what I'm referring to:

http://www.vitakingproducts.com/storefronta.htm

Scroll down to Divet pills, Enroxil 5% Powder starts the section on
that ordering page for Baytril products. Enroxil is a generic form of
Baytril.

If you don't have Baytril on hand, I'd call one of the links Monday
morning and order it and have it shipped Overnight to you. If
you want expedited shipping, you have to do this w/a phone order
normally.

fp

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, what i have is Amtyl. I just want to see if anything i have on hand will work before i buy more.
Thanks

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Amtyl is a combination of "Amoxicillin" Trihydrate and "Tylan" Tylosin Tartrate
and is especially recommended for respiratory illnesses.

Baytril is really the medicine you want this time around.

fp

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will this work?
Enroflaxyn Tablets -- Effective treatment for E. coli or paratyphoid. 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1/2 tablet in the evening down the throat for 5 to 7 days. This is a 7.5 mg. dose.

I cant find bayrtil anywhere and its hard to find the generic for you suggested.eek!

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts
Will this work?
Enroflaxyn Tablets -- Effective treatment for E. coli or paratyphoid. 1/2 tablet in the morning and 1/2 tablet in the evening down the throat for 5 to 7 days. This is a 7.5 mg. dose.

I cant find bayrtil anywhere and its hard to find the generic for you suggested.eek!
Yes, if you take a second look at post #10, this is one of the generic names
for Baytril. The 1/2 tablet am/pm is based on weight of the bird, so if you
can get a weight on the bird, we can possibly fine tune the dose rate.

If Paratyphoid, you will need to treat longer than one (1) week to clear
the bird(s) of the carrier state. I've read recommendations of 3 weeks and
also seen some folks recommend 4 wks. So figure on treating the bird or
birds in question for three weeks minimum and get a weight on the birds
while waiting for the meds to come in. You can pick up an analogue set
of scales that shows gram and ounce delineations for around $10-15 bucks
at Walgreens....

Again, yes, that is the medication that I'm referring to.

fp

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
if the swollen foot is bubble foot you must take it to the vet asap. they will cut it and drain it and start on antibiotics. takes ablut 3 weeks to heal.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Well, warriec, Pixy never did describe it any further than in the first post. I couldn't tell if it was one foot or two, for sure, nor exactly where and how the swelling was. I was hoping that Pixy would go to that one link, scroll down, see the Bumblefoot entry and say something like "Oh, that doesn't look anything like mine!" or "yeah, looks something like that... "

Anyhow, do you see much of that there in Sri Lanka?

Pidgey

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I agree with fp. Enroflaxin is generic for Baytril and I've used it myself with good results. I also would recommend keeping the pigeon on it for 4 weeks in case it's Salmonellosis you're dealing with. My vets have prescribed it that long in birds with entrenched infections.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, warriec, Pixy never did describe it any further than in the first post. I couldn't tell if it was one foot or two, for sure, nor exactly where and how the swelling was. I was hoping that Pixy would go to that one link, scroll down, see the Bumblefoot entry and say something like "Oh, that doesn't look anything like mine!" or "yeah, looks something like that... "

Anyhow, do you see much of that there in Sri Lanka?

Pidgey
Ok, sorry guys. Ive been busy with school.
I dont think it is bumble foot because both feet are swelled. They are swelled at the base of the feet on the "pads". Sorry!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree with fp. Enroflaxin is generic for Baytril and I've used it myself with good results. I also would recommend keeping the pigeon on it for 4 weeks in case it's Salmonellosis you're dealing with. My vets have prescribed it that long in birds with entrenched infections.
I am going to be purchasing the Euroflaxyn? Well, whatever the name was. Im glad to hear you had good results with it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts