Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came last night back to PA to make a horrifying discovery with Booboo, one of my three blind pigeons (the female), in her basket: fluffy feathers, shivering, and very rapid heart beat. I took her in my room and put her by the heater in plush little blanket. Her body was also very (weak and) cold and could not support her head straight, which fell to the left side. As the other two blind fellow cage pigeons seem okay including the new addition the young Curcurrel, I didn't blame it to a (contagious) disease.

Did she hurt her stomach with some wrong pecking? I don't think that the fact that I recently changed the way they had to drink water (little water bowl covered by half with a pitcher so that they stop pooping there as they used to) was the problem, not only the water is now clear/clean but B. has very watery white poop. This never happened with any of my pigeons (the ones in the attic too).

I gave her some boiled egg yolk and youghourt. Her tachycardia is very bad, her poor little heart will crack soon from so tiring non stop very strong beating. Please give me an advice, preferable urgent as she might die soon and God bless.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Is there any way you can get her to an avian vet? Does she lay eggs? Am wondering if she could be egg bound. Hopefully others will have suggestions soon. Am glad you found her and got her warm. Poor birdie. Hope she is all better soon.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, there is no avian vet in the woods surrounded my PA house. Still confused as per why she cannot support her own head straight. Thank you so much for support and good wishes.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
photos of Booboo with her tilted head and her poops

These are some pics of her almost inexistent poop and her tilting her head (actually there is some struggle as if she is hit in the head and turns in desperate pirouette sometimes stumbling in her blanket). I even think maybe the blind boys that were in the cage with her hit her as she tried to find a place just to sit (pretending she will lay eggs?), each of the males chasing her from "their" baskets, one from one side, the other from the other side. Okay, just a supposition as I wasn't here when whatsoever happened to her. She cannot eat so I give her liquid diet with yoghourt and boiled egg yolk. I am so afraid not to find her dead tomorrow morning, my pets always prefer to die at night, quietly, without witness and crying around. So what do you take from these pictures?
By the way, I even tried to straighten her head, and she tries with all her efforts to do it herself too.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Am wondering about something like PMV but have no experience with this. Hope someone here will comment on the head turning. PMV I think is treatable with supportive care. Lovely bird! Hope she starts getting well soon. The poop doesn't look that weird to me but our girls have frequent hormonal loose poops. Is there any chance she could have a retained egg?
Here is one link here about PMV:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f20/rescued-pigeon-likely-has-pmv-advice-87297.html

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Without a vet and tests, there is no way of knowing exactly what it is. Could be many things. The droppings do show that she isn't eating. That dark green is starvation droppings. You will have to hand feed, but she doesn't look like she is in very good shape.

Why is she kept in a cage with 2 males?

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Jay3 has noted the need for hand feeding due to starvation poops. How is your bird reacting to hand feeding? How is she doing? Hope she seems stronger. Did you try hand feeding defrosted peas as suggested?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you need to hand feed frozen peas, which have been defrosted and warmed in warm running water, this is how to do that. You can start with 30 three times a day, but let the crop empty between feedings.

If you need to feed peas to a pigeon, hold the bird on your lap and against your body. This gives you more control. Reach from behind his head with one hand and grasp his beak on either side. Now use your free hand to open the beak, and put a pea in, then push it to the back of his throat and over his tongue. Let him close his beak and swallow. Then do another. It gets easier with practice, and the bird also gets more used to it, and won't fight as much. If you can't handle the bird, then use the sleeve cut off a t-shirt, slip it over his head and onto his body, with his head sticking out. This will stop him from being able to fight you so much. Just don't make it tight around his crop area. It helps if you have him facing your right side if you are right handed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Booboo (one of the 3 blind pigeons)'s last bloody poops

A couple of hours ago she started horrifying convulsions like she was dying (I saw this type of convulsions before) after I hand fed her. I kept her warm in my hands (she is smaller than a 2 months baby though she is 2 year old because of her longtime immobility) and she seemed to calm down. At 3:00 a.m. I found her new poops with very thick blood clots. The other 2 pigeons who stay with her are blind too who lost their sight in the blunt smash against wall/window? during a hawk attack, all when they were baby too. All her 2 year life, like all the 2 year life of Bebe, she did nothing but to stay in her basket. Horrible life, no? She has no strength to open her tiny beak and forcing her resulted in new blood thick clots. As her internal bleeding is showing after eating, anything she eats aggravates the cutting she might have inside ingested from probably grit. Probably. God forbid to have a bird blind, especially a bird meant to use her wings. It is almost morning, my (and Booboo's) painful heads, and hearts, ready for a new day of hope. And scare.
Oh, yes, and something new, but unfortunately not good: she is moaning.
Thank you so much for listening and caring.
You, birds who die in pain, neglect and torture somewhere but we don't know you, please forgive us that we cannot do more than we do.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Blood can be caused by a tumor, cocci, worms even. The bird needs to see a vet, or at least the droppings need to be checked.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This could also be Giardia. And that is fairly common and can be treated with Metronidazole for 10 days.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you aren't going to see a vet or someone to help, then at least try treating her. Give Metro for the 10 days, as Giardia is fairly common and can have these symptoms. As I have said, it could also be worms.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The last news about Booboo's heroic fight not to die is that her stool improved with blood stopped following started Baytril and some thickening following her eating pea (not whole, as such attempt caused horrible convulsions yesterday but) soft semi-liquid baby, food, thickened. If the neck instability and weakness from her neck to the (why only?) left side is due not to a physical trauma but neurological problem, she urgently needs, as your good advice suggested, Metronidazole. But how I cannot stop the just started Baytril, adding this new medication to Baytril, administered at the same time, wouldn't this combo interaction kill her liver? As the answer is urgent I asked this question, can Baytril and Metronidazole be given to a pigeon together?, in a new --quicker visible-- thread, please forgive me.

Thank you Jay3 and CWebster for suggestions and thank you Sandy68, MarinaB, and FredaH for warm support since I started my crying here two days ago, it meant a lot.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Why did you start her on Baytril? Most of those things that it would commonly be, would not be treated with Baytril. The Baytril did nothing to stop the blood. It will probably come and go. They can both be given together, one in a.m. and one in afternoon. Giving Baytril can cause yeast infection, so good to treat with Nystatin or similar when treating with Baytril.
I would treat with Metro at 50mg once daily for 10 days. Giardia is difficult to clear however, and can come back on the bird, but if that is what it is, then it'll knock it down.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I'm keeping everything crossed that the metronidazole works for Booboo, she's definitely a fighter to still be around - bless her. May be a good idea to add some natural live unsweetened yogurt to her feed to help build up good stomach flora while she's on the meds - Avipro Avian is what I use its a pre/pre biotic powder and I add it to their water bowls every other day. I've given this to them all since they hatched and it seems to have served them well.
Good luck with Booboo.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Would be better to give the probiotics after treatment, as the Baytril will just kill the good bacteria anyway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.