Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Is that what your dove basically looks like? Because that IS "splay leg". It essentially happens when the nestling is raised with poor nesting material on a flat surface that's too slippery for the nestling to keep its feet under it properly. Thus, one or both legs grow outward and can quickly become disfunctional. In that respect, it's not a true birth defect--it's a growth problem due to mechanical forces.

If this seems to be the case, then you should go back up to that link I provided early in this thread and read all those links. Cynthia (cyro51) provided some very good instructions on how to proceed with fixing that and one of the links in that thread I linked is hers.

Pidgey

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OK. Do we have to take him to a vet for that or can we do it ourselves? He's probably not going to sit around for a week with his legs tied together as some of the sites mention.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
if you (1) have an avian vet nearby and (2) it turns out that vet is willing to treat your wild bird (maybe you can say it's your pet?) and (3) you can afford the expense & inconvenience of going, then I would say just take him in, to be sure what's going on and for help with treatment. Otherwise it's a bit of guesswork no matter what.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
When i looked at him again the leg is in a position like the pictures but its very limp and i can move it better, in fact, than his good leg. Also, i have seen him move it but it's always in the twisted position. Do you still think it's a splayed leg???

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
He's going to have to sit around for however long it takes, regardless of whether it's in your home, the vet's office or wherever. Doves often have to be kept in boxes with padded roofs because many of them are pretty excitable. Pigeons aren't so bad. Anyhow, if they've got food and water close at hand, they get used to the hobbling of the restraints. And it definitely beats a lifetime of barely being able to walk.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
If it was aiming out that way due to a break, you'd easily be able to tell it was a break or dislocation. If your mother's a doctor, she should be able to help you make that determination.

Pidgey

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Is it essential to his survival to get treatment? if it weren't for the leg we would just let him go (he just made a very good atempt to escape). Would he get to depressed being captive much longer or could he hurt himself more if he gets too frustrated?

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Your cat got him. I have seen a very few splay legged pigeons out of the hundreds that feed at my house. They've never lasted even so much as a season. A little bit of frustration now is far better than a whole lot of non-existence a short time later.

Pidgey

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
As that second photo was of my Gonzo I am posting the link of how her splay leg was fixed:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/193589827zTYswz

Charis, I hate travel! :( I just happened to be born in Montevideo, the family moved to Santiago when I was 5 and then to London when I was 16...so I have lived in three capital cities.

I used to have short holidays abroad, so I have been to the US and sort of fell in love with Boston.

Cynthia

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Qui'ubo BirdsinChile

If you are lucky enough to have an avian vet nearby then I would take the bird to see her. She will be able to determine whether it can be corrected.

You are the first person in Chile that has posted on this forum.

I grew up in Santiago (my family is anglochilean), but for some reason I never particularly noticed any birds other than the queltehue. What part of Chile are you in?

Cynthia
I'm living in Santiago- there aren't many birds- mostly pigeons and doves:)
As for the bird... we set his leg and he's doing fine but we're still going to take him to a vet tommorow just in case.
Thanks again for all of your help!!!:D

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I'm living in Santiago- there aren't many birds- mostly pigeons and doves:)
As for the bird... we set his leg and he's doing fine but we're still going to take him to a vet tommorow just in case.
Thanks again for all of your help!!!:D
Eggcellent, Birdsinchile; hopefully we'll get to see pics of your pidgie all well and healthy, some day :cool:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts