Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking care of my friends pigeon for a week, its been staying in my room since I have no where else to keep it. It is very young and she only got it a week before having to leave it at my house for a week. I let it fly a few times but it left a mess and so after a few minutes I had to put it back, and it always ran away when I started doing that. My friend let me go to her house and get its pants to help keep it from making a mess. After a few days it just refuses to leave the cage.

1. The cage is way too small for it, she is getting a new one when she gets back
2. The pigeon is only a few months old at this point
3. It seems to peck at me every time I clean out its cage or do anything of the sort

I am really worried I may have made it just completely scared of me and by extension my friend.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Pigeons are very protective of their cages. My pigeons often peck me when i put my hands in their cages. If the bird is eating and pooping ok, he/she is probably fine. If you can post a photo, i am sure people can tell how old the bird is and how he/she is doing. Thankyou for caring about the bird and caring for him/her.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
It's normal for them to be scared of hands. Rather let him come out an hour or so before it gets dark. Then clean the cage. Switch off the lights, catch him in the dark and put him back inside. They don't see well in the dark. They also recognize faces, so he will be scared of a stranger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts