Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This site avicates NO kill on pigeons So everyone bypasses it. FACT is many in the hobby destroy most birds that look sick or weak. Or get sick. That way they keep the stronger birds and do not want the risk of raising sickly birds Fact is many a loft may kill over 50 birds a year for one reason or the other. I have kept shut on this part of the hobby long enough BUT I no longer have birds And can say this You can go to some peoples web page that keeps the birds and even read how they remove any bird that flfs up looking sick or weak by destroying it Then others destroy all the birds that do not make the race team in road testing. Because the birds was expected to be no good for racing so they had to go. Killed because they was not fast enough . Then a few lofts will Docter A sick bird Give away unwanted birds. But many do not. I was into pigeons long enough to learn and see and know What is done in the hobby. So I guess the truth came out And now I will be banned But agin At least the truth is told

·
Registered
419 Posts
Don't jump to conclussions on what other people do when you don't know, not right or fair. I am sure you are right that some people do kill birds that don't make the cut, but that in no way should be a blanket statement because it is not at all true. I am guessing you had a bad experience in racing, but I know for a fact that there are many many fantastic people in our sport for the love of birds! Jim

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Jim,

Thank you for your post and also that of relee. There are many, many wonderful pigeon fanciers in our world that take terrific care of their birds and others that are not so "particular". I am a member of a pigeon list where lethal culling is discussed everyday .. that is their way of dealing with "problems". I used to try and help with health issues on that list, but it's an old school list where kill rather than cure is the rule of thumb. I also used to be a moderator on 911 Pigeon Alert where members of the public reported found pigeons to us. Again, there were a lot of good pigeon people who were caring and responsible but also a lot who were not. After about 7,000 found pigeons on 911 we shut down .. nobody could take it anymore. Too many found birds and not enough people to try and get them home and deal with the "homes" that didn't want them back. 911 Pigeon Alert is a FACT and not fiction.

Terry

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thank you Terry, I was also a member of 911, the only one in all the Florida Keys and maybe South Florida. I would drive over 200 miles one way north from Key West to rescue lost pigeons. I also stay on call at the AU and our local Wild Bird Rescue currently. The idea of beating everyone down that races because of what some do is just not right. I am also part of a larger group, men, I get enough crap for that for what others do. Or lets talk about one that we are all in, humans, if someone wants to start being bitter in general why not start at the top? Jim

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Relee didn't say everybody he said meny which is a true statment. But the fact they don't let you talk about it on here is a reason I like this site. Becasue it seams like the majority of the ppl here are good pigeon ppl who care for their birds and would never harm them. But from my experiences with most pigeon guys it's the opposite which makes me mad. I myself never have and never will do anything to harm a pigeon and meny times have told ppl to stop talking about what they do. I've almost gotten into fights over ppl bragging about what they do to their birds. So ppl make sure not to metion that stuff in front of me anymore and I'm glad I know they still do it but atleast they don't brag about it anymore like they are some big tuff guy becasue they can do whatever to a poor lil pigeon.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Its a sad thing to know. Sometimes animals/birds are brought in to the hospitals with disease/injury stages so worse that the vet and the owner/rescuer has no other way than put them to sleep to end the suffering of the being. In some extreme cases that is understandable but taking the life of a being which has its chances of survival cannot be accepted. At the same time if someone else advocate or advertise such details, we can't stop them unless it is illegal. The protective feeling is something which has to come from one's mind, not only by the words of published laws.

·
Registered
419 Posts
All I hear is talk. Someone didn't pick up their bird from 300 miles away 7 years ago; "racing people" kill their unwanted pigeons; lack of care by the standards of someone with no pigeons. The people racing pigeons are some of the very best people on earth as far as I am concerned! I am proud to be a part of them, all of them. We are all in it together because we a far to few to draw lines between us! For the most part we do the right thing for the right reasons. That does not mean we are going to join PETA, or join hands hugging some tree. Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts