Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after an upsetting occurrence in my life I became someone I never thought I'd be... an impulse buyer. Long story short in an effort to fill a hole in my life I became the owner of a pigeon that I don't know the age, sex (calling it a her for now) or breed of. Now, I'm fairly confident in my ability to keep her healthy as I am an experienced bird owner, but I would greatly appreciate any solid advice I can get on taming her.

I've tamed cockatiels in the past, and one crazy lovebird, but something tells me this little lady requires a different approach. Should I just start with just trying to get her to eat out of my hand for now? Is there a particular way to go about this? I did let her freely walk out of her cage this evening just out of curiosity, and getting her back in was fuss free as I simply dimmed the lights and gently placed her back in. I only attempted this because so far she seems pretty unfazed by my presence. She just won't let me touch her yet.
Trying my very best not to rush things.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Pigeons love chopped up raw unsalted peanuts. You can sprinkle some on her food, and when she starts eating them you can offer some from your hand. In moderation as peanuts have a high fat content. They love to be scratched around the head and under the eyes.

You can also put down a mirror for her. A male will often attack his own mirror image, a female usually won't. This will also keep her company. If she is an indoor bird, she will need calcium with added Vit D3. When she starts laying eggs, this will prevent her getting eggbound.

It's good that you wait till dark before putting her back. Chasing her around the room to put her back will just make her more frightened of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got peanuts and a mirror from the feed store today so I'll wait and see how she likes them. She has a mineral block and I'm also looking into getting her a UVB light. I think I might keep letting her out of the cage every evening and putting her back in when it's dark so I can clean her cage every day without stressing her out too much. Do you think this is a good idea?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Yes that's fine. You can put a couple of layers of newspaper in the cage and then just remove the top layer once a day. Works best.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the upsetting occurrence in your life.

Try to spend time in the same room with your bird. Some of my birds love sitting next to me or directly on me (legs, etc) when I'm watching tv or reading a book, etc.

Also, give her a name and often call her. Birds learn their name.

Try to understand what is her favorite food and give it to her everyday at the same time window. For example, I know that my pigeon Caterina is crazy for dried mung beans and dried whole peas. She is a very "private person". Well, as she loves them so much she eats them even from my hand! Be patient, be very still (when you offer her food from your hand) and give her time... Also consider that each bird has his own temperament...

You could also give her (just sometimes) a small piece of biscuit (something simple like the one in the pic), crumble it with your fingers and put it in a separate bowl from food. My birds love it. Btw, they know that the pink bowl is the biscuit bowl so when they see it they all fly to me! Pigeons are really smart and learn everything.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
An adult pigeon has not bonded with a human will not bond the way a baby that you handfeed from 2 weeks-on. And even that takes a lot of experience. You would have to be raising birds in such a way for a long time to get it right. That said, you can only figure the bird out by its own terms. You wont get much info if the bird is kept in a small cage. Still, treat it only as a bird and it will communicate what it needs slowly. Follow its rhythms and it will tell you much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts