Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought pigeons off a breeder who never really spent time with them to tame them to humans so if someone could give me some tips on how to tame them it would be a big help as i tend to spend most of my free time around them.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I recently bought pigeons off a breeder who never really spent time with them to tame them to humans so if someone could give me some tips on how to tame them it would be a big help as i tend to spend most of my free time around them.

Thanks to all
Hi dooie and welcome to PT.
What type of a loft/setup do you have them in? It's easier to tame them if its something YOU can walk into and sit and spend time with them. Or are they inside?
With regular feedings and cleanings they'll get use to you. And then treats go along ways. They love safflower seed and peanut hearts (or chopped up peanuts)
It will take time and patience, but if your consistent and move slowly it helps.
I have to get ready for work, but other members will be along with more suggestions. And also, have a look around the forum - there are other threads about taming pigeons :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
It is easier to tame yb than it is old birds.

Do you know how old your birds are??

The more time to spend with them,talking to them, and possibly hand feeding them, the more likely they are to tame.

-Hilly

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All!

Great site you guys have here and I did a lot of research here before I got my pigeon. He is a racing homer that I got from a breeder and he is about 6 months old.

He is an indoor pet. He has a LARGE cage and I let him out as much as possible when I am home. I've had him for a couple of weeks and I already am beginning to notice a change in his behavior.

He used to just fly all around the house, landing on bookshelves and such. Now he spends some time walking on the floor. He will let me get close to him, but he constantly watches my hands. He hates my hands. It's probably because once he's out, he never wants to go back to his cage, so I am forced to chase and catch him or "turn off the lights" to grab him at night.

I have tried treats, but to no avail. He doesn't do peanuts, but he LOVES corn. He is beginning to at least eat them out of my hand. I can put my arm out near him and even touch him with my arm, but if he sees my hand, off he flys!

Funny thing is that he will definitely "explore" now and follow me. If I leave the bathroom door open while I take a shower, he will fly in and sit on the shower curtain rod and watch me... :eek:

I'm just trying to be consistent and above all, patient. When I do catch him, I hold him for a few minutes and scratch his head. He doesn't squirm any more and he actually seems to enjoy it, as his eyes close slightly.

Hopefully this helps you and if anyone has any suggestions for me, I'd be greatful!

Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
Time and patience.....a little starving will give you the upper hand. Iheard a tablespoon of grain a day gets them by. It works well for my indoor pigeons. After a few times they know who is the boss.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes... "starving" them a little does help. I feed my Pigeon when I get home, outside of his cage. He always has water and grit available. When I put him back into his cage for the night, I leave some food for him. :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I thought it was suppose to be 1/4 cup of food twice a day. Especially in the colder states, they need the corn to keep them warm. Starving anything is NO good in my books. Sure hold off feeding them until they get in there loft or cage but starving I wouldn't do. I don't like being starved so I'm sure they don't either. A tablespoon is not enough!!min

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mindy, not to worry... my Pigeon doesn't starve by any stretch of the imagination! :D

It's more like "metered feeding..." He gets more food than he can eat everyday. ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thats nice to know. Also if they are feeding babies they really should have more food also. I'm sure that is just common knowledge. But I was reading jmaxpsi profile page and he said its one tablespoon of ACV in a gallon of water, I was taught it was 3 tablespoons. Also he was saying it was 50 miles to a feed store. You can stop by any farmer and ask if they would sell you whole corn and I will bet you everyone that has some will sell you a bag pretty cheap. I actually give my farmer eggs for my corn, because he wouldn't take any money. So I just started dropping off eggs. Plus every grocery store in this country sells bird seed and corn so making them live on 1 tablespoon of food I think is awful. Just to show them who the boss is. Quit with the ego. mindy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats nice to know. Also if they are feeding babies they really shouldn't have more food also. I'm sure that is just common knowledge. But I was reading jmaxpsi profile page and he said its one tablespoon of ACV in a gallon of water, I was taught it was 3 tablespoons. Also he was saying it was 50 miles to a feed store. You can stop by any farmer and ask if they would sell you whole corn and I will bet you everyone that has some will sell you a bag pretty cheap. I actually give my farmer eggs for my corn, because he wouldn't take any money. So I just started dropping off eggs. Plus every grocery store in this country sells bird seed and corn so making them live on 1 tablespoon of food I think is awful. Just to show them who the boss is. Quit with the ego. mindy
I hope that is directed at jmaxpsi and not at me... You sound a bit angry. I have plenty of corn and my pigeon gets nothing but love and attention, plenty of food and water. Ok, that's all I'm gonna say on this thread - beginning to wonder if I should have even posted to begin with, seeing as there are so many experts on here.

G

·
Thats nice to know. Also if they are feeding babies they really shouldn't have more food also. I'm sure that is just common knowledge. But I was reading jmaxpsi profile page and he said its one tablespoon of ACV in a gallon of water, I was taught it was 3 tablespoons. Also he was saying it was 50 miles to a feed store. You can stop by any farmer and ask if they would sell you whole corn and I will bet you everyone that has some will sell you a bag pretty cheap. I actually give my farmer eggs for my corn, because he wouldn't take any money. So I just started dropping off eggs. Plus every grocery store in this country sells bird seed and corn so making them live on 1 tablespoon of food I think is awful. Just to show them who the boss is. Quit with the ego. mindy
the normal amount of food that is needed to feed your birds is 1 to 1 1/2 oz. per pigeon per day ,split between a morning feeding and in the evening.. and Mindy you might want to proof read what you write sometimes as you stated here that people shouldnt feed more to breeding pairs feeding babys ,stating that it is common knowledge :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Your right that was a big typo, sorry. Yes, need to proof read better. I just went and did a measurement and I think its 3 tablespoons equal 2 ounces which is a 1/4 cup. I didn't know that I was suppose to split that between two feedings. That just seems to be so little, and what if the bully's eat all of the food and the other ones don't get any? I am going to cut back on leaving a big ceramic bowl of food out because it get thrown all over the place but I have to feed them more than that. Thats just the Italian in me, gotta feed allot to everyone. Again sorry for my mistake.

And pkoorse I'm sorry I wasn't referring to you. Wasn't angry either, but thats hard to tell on the computer. But I'm also not one to mince words, thats a down fault of mine that I wish I could change. Also, I'm far from an expert I'm a beginner. But even if there are allot of experts on here and there are allot of people on here that really knows there stuff that shouldn't stop you from posting thats what the site is for. min

G

·
no worries , just dont want people to not feed extra to their breeding pairs is all ,as for feeding more then the usual 1-1 1/2oz. per pigeon you will notice they waste alot more... with the bullies thing there are many types of feeders that help deter that but usually they work it out ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
"O" I have allot of waste. I probably have 2 cups spread all over the place. But will cut back and see how it goes, I can't cut back to 1 1/2 ounces but I will cut back. How much more should parents get if they are feeding 2 babies or even just one baby? Also need to look at the feeders that will help with the bullies. Thanks for letting me know. min

G

·
"O" I have allot of waste. I probably have 2 cups spread all over the place. But will cut back and see how it goes, I can't cut back to 1 1/2 ounces but I will cut back. How much more should parents get if they are feeding 2 babies or even just one baby? Also need to look at the feeders that will help with the bullies. Thanks for letting me know. min
breeding pairs with babies should have food all during the day .;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Thats good to know, so your saying they should have food in the bowls 24/7. I didn't expect that answer. But love that answer. Mine have that now and they don't have babies.

G

·
Thats good to know, so your saying they should have food in the bowls 24/7. I didn't expect that answer. But love that answer. Mine have that now and they don't have babies.
i would take it out at night thou .. birds with babys go thru it fast and you dont want either to go without as it is a big drain on the parent birds and not good for the developing youngsters .. as for birds not feeding young they will just waste the food and get fat in the process ,not a healthy thing in the long run in my opinion ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm going to cut down. Your right. Plan to clean up tomorrow and start new. They will be surprised and probably look at me and say thats it. Because they use to pick out what they liked and left the other stuff they rather not eat but will if there isn't anything else to eat. They knew that I would just fill up again. Will definitely save on food now. min

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm sorry Mindy, I was wrong about the tablespoon, in which I wanted to say ounce. That is what I heard for a pigeon to survive. Now, to live comfortably, I would say more. In my loft, they get to eat all they can in 20 mins and I clean out the feeder. This is for my flyers. I leave the feeder full all the time for my breeders. About the starving part is just my training method. I could put it in better words, NO SEEDS IN THE CAGE AT ANY TIME. Only off my hands or a feed tub. Fast way to tame a bird. Most will disagree but I give my bird in training plenty of food when it eats, it's like a buffet. 2 times a day and no seeds in his cage, only water and grit. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. Just wanted to clearify stuff.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Thats nice to know. Also if they are feeding babies they really should have more food also. I'm sure that is just common knowledge. But I was reading jmaxpsi profile page and he said its one tablespoon of ACV in a gallon of water, I was taught it was 3 tablespoons. Also he was saying it was 50 miles to a feed store. You can stop by any farmer and ask if they would sell you whole corn and I will bet you everyone that has some will sell you a bag pretty cheap. I actually give my farmer eggs for my corn, because he wouldn't take any money. So I just started dropping off eggs. Plus every grocery store in this country sells bird seed and corn so making them live on 1 tablespoon of food I think is awful. Just to show them who the boss is. Quit with the ego. mindy
I probably have 10 feed and grain store's within a 1 hour radius of my house - and NOT 1 CARRIES pigeon feed on their shelves! I have to special order it ahead of time. And our grocery store's only carry "cracked corn". And there's not a whole lot of farmers in my area :rolleyes:
So it's not always THAT simple - every area is different.
I live in a "yuppy" area - ya know the type of people that don't want pigeons around their "outside, sidewalk, downtown and waterfront dining tables" and don't have pigeons as pets. LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts