Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, and new to pigeon keeping. My pij is a classic old frill male, a little over 6 months old (we have had him a little over 3 months). He bonded to me immediately, and up until his first moult recently he was the sweetest little cuddle bug ever. . . he's still sweet, and still a cuddle bug, but overnight he became a MAN, super territorial about his cage, and also getting increasingly aggressive. . . Tonight's cage cleaning was a real battle - i kept having to remove him, and then shoving a little stuffed toy at him so he wouldn't chomp my hand! Also, he's REALLY vocal, lots of calling me to roost w/him, lots of the "hokey pokey" dance, lots of him lowering his head, twitching his wings and moaning. He gets out of the cage for at least a half hour every morning (i'm currently working p/t so on my days off he's out for several hours in the morning/early afternoon), then i put him back into his lair, and when i return from work/errands in the late afternoon/evening he's out again until around 11 pm+ (he usually falls asleep on me, so we snuggle for a bit before he goes in his cage for the night). . . He gets plenty of 'free' time, and we live in a small studio apartment so he gets the run of the place (+ i plan on getting a harness so he can accompany me outside). . . I know he sees me as his mate, but i'm not sure what i should be doing when he gets bitey. It never hurts, but i'm worried it may get worse, and encourage more "bad" behaviour. I read differing opinions - some people say to stand my ground & let him bite away, others say walk away and ignore him, others say shove a stuffed toy at him to mutilate. . . ? ? ?

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Pigeon brains are tired quite differently to human brains, and their perceptions are often quite different. Most pigeons will see the face and the hand as separate entities rather than both part of the same entity. Even if they bond with us, the hand which is replacing food or cleaning the cage or checking for eggs is like some alien creature invading their space. There do seem to be a few exceptions, but that's pretty much how it is. Even if they see the hand palm up as something which is, for instance, offering a special food, the 'other' hand is an invader. Some of mine will happily lie in my hand once I am holding them, but hate the process of being picked up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for yr reply. . . it sounds very silly when i really think about it, that i'm taking it so personally! even though i was well aware that having a single pigeon - and a single MALE pigeon at that! - could be challenging. . . well, i guess just like any other 'parent', i was hoping he'd stay a baby forever! ;)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
It's very hard for a lone pigeon in a human world. They are natural flock animals, and being alone all day isn't natural. Pigeons are wired to want to mate up and raise babies. Being in solitaire all day isn't happy for them. He would be happier with a mate to nest with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts