Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dilema...
I have a gorgeous pair of fantails and would like to keep one of the offsprings and buy him/her a mate. The problem is that the couple is very teritorial and don´t even exept their own children to be around after they turned 6-7 weeks old. How can I introduce a new pair U thing? Any ideas, suggestions?
Would it be easier to keep one of the babys or should I get a complitely new pair?
/Csilla

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I have a dilema...
I have a gorgeous pair of fantails and would like to keep one of the offsprings and buy him/her a mate. The problem is that the couple is very teritorial and don´t even exept their own children to be around after they turned 6-7 weeks old. How can I introduce a new pair U thing? Any ideas, suggestions?
Would it be easier to keep one of the babys or should I get a complitely new pair?
/Csilla
The problem isn't the personality of the fantails, not necessarily, it is the fact that they were introduced to their living quarters first and therefore they think they own the place. It is not unusual for any parent pigeon to stop being parents around that age, but with my birds the dad will continue to feed the baby until almost 2 months of age, and usually the baby stops wanting to feed from the dad. Getting different birds wouldn't make a difference unless they are very dominant and aggressive.

What size is the living quarters? That could also be a problem.

If you have given these birds access to all the perches and boxes, this couple thinks they own them all. If you build a coop and plan to add birds, its best to block off any additional perches for "future tenants".

The youngsters also need to mature and develop their own personalities, and that will enable them to stand their ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts