Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Having been on for a couple of years or so and learning valuable info on pigeon care, I want to thank pigeon enthusiasts. Two days ago I went into my coop doing the morning routine when I sensed something wasn't right, or actually not smelling right! I've got an "oophs" baby that is coming up (3 weeks old) and he was being ignored by his parents.(Weaning) He was messy on his front, as squeakers tend to get, but I decided to check him anyway. As I looked, he had custard on the back of his throat-canker! I had never dealt with this before, but from reading members stories I knew it needed treatment right away. Checked all the other adult birds too-clear so far.
Since money is tight nowadays, I decided to 'bite the bullet' and take my squeaker to the avian vet who has seen my birds before. The vet visit went fine, and I am doing precautions to treat all the flock. Somehow, someway I managed to have just enough $$ to pay for it. Big Man upstairs?
The other side of this story is my pigeon racing buddy. He told me to 'get rid of' the baby pigeon, as it would always be weak and a risk to the flock. I told him that was NOT AN OPTION. I have a respect and love for these birds, and knew with medicine squeaker will get well again. It is a living thing, not to be disposed of like a paper towel. Now my racing friend won't talk to me. I guess I'm with my online pigeon friends. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for not killing it would be a shame if you had killed it. Some people think that it will risk the other pigeons but there is also a possibility of it getting stronger and not giving the other pigeons canker so this is a good turnout. My pigeon laid eggs before but the sad thing is that they didn't make it. The male and female started fighting over who would sit on the egg and the accidently stood on it neck and snapped it and it only squawked twice before it died :( Then the other egg was just kicked around by them and it died too :( I now have two more eggs and it is there 17th day today. Do you know the minimum time of how long it will take to hatch and maximum time. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HappyxD- I've got a hen and her first laid egg has hatched on the 19th day. I think that is the average for pigeons. The second egg should hatch about 24hrs later give/take. I can usually tell when they are going to hatch, as the hen sits real tight on eggs the last couple of days, and shortens her routine. Her mate gets real defensive, and 'wing -slaps' if I put my hand near. Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats whats happening with me lol i will tell you when they are going to hatch i promise what is the time at your place? because here it is 3 32 New zealand time.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's almost half past midnight (AM)here. Patience with the birds. Let nature take it's course; sometimes young pairs fumble in nesting starts...instinct is strong, they should be able to raise good babies!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts