Registered
205 Posts
Yayyy!!!!!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thank god.
I like to check the site from my droid phone when I'm on the road
and those ads were really slowing down the site.
took forever to load a page on the phone

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
A pleasant surprise. I doubt anyone was clicking on them and they were awful anyway. It would state "in your region" when it was supposed to automatically fill in the region of the computer user. Very cheep and crude ads.

"You have 1 new message". Ha Ha. How lame.

The site is a lot faster now.

But of course this bodes ill for something else coming down the pike. A fee to participate perhaps? Who knows.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Ahhh....!!!! :mad:

I really liked those pigeon control ads to !!!! :(

Tongue in my cheek of course....and here I thought it was my computer slowing things down !!! Things are loading much faster now ! :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
.....But of course this bodes ill for something else coming down the pike. A fee to participate perhaps? Who knows.
While I'm sure a lot of members probably wouldnt mind a small fee, any such idea would put new members off, also most folk looking for help for injured birds would just not bother so the site would go downhill rather rapidly.
Ive nothing against small ads on a site to help generate revenue, they could be implemented at the foot or top of a page, but where ads take up more space & resources loading than the actual site, and when most of them are of questionable origin and outcome, then that is just overkill and does actually drive people away.
There are certain "codes" and "ethics" for advertising in other forms of media which unfortunately the web does not have, and every unscrupulous company under the sun is on the web and based in some far off island where authorities cannot stop them.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Still getting ads at bottom of page.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
That small one at bottom, seems a lot more acceptable to me, my computer does not seem as affected. I also have downloaded additional ad blockers. Of course every time I think of it, and every time I log on, I take that politcal survey that is showing up at the bottom of my page. I do get some sense of satisfaction at voting so many times, I feel like I live in Chicago and I am voting for Hope and Change, although I hope the election results turn out different this time around !!

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
Since using Adblock & updating the "hosts" file ive not had one single ad anywhere lol
(including ads on a lot of other sites as well) :D
Me too on my own home PC, but I'm not at home :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts