Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was training my birds and mixed in 3 young ones that were doing well on thier training......I released my birds about 3 miles away and one of the young ones seperated started flying with some local pigeons. So I get home and sure enough.....missing one.....

6 whole days went by and I get a phone call this morning from a printing warehouse in San Marcos about 10 miles away. My bird flew into the warehouse and they trapped him in a box.

I WAS SO RELIEVED!! I left work immediately and picked him up. He was so skinny and lethargic. He had bugs on his feathers too!

I took him home and cleaned him up and he ate and drank.....

Long story short....buy bands with your name and phone on them. Here is living proof.

G

·
why are you tossing birds that arent even homers is all I have to ask ??? thou Im glad you got him back highflyers arent ment to be tossed away from your loft :confused:

G

·
:rolleyes:
I'm happy to hear you got your bird back.

Lakota-Homers get lost too. What do you fly?
I fly tipplers and homers and flying flights and would never take anything but my homers on tosses , otherwise you are asking for losses ..but then thats just me so if you want to lose more birds feel free to do so

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I am glad your bird was found and those people were kind enough to take the time to trap him and call you.
I bet the bird is happy to be back home.

Reti

·
Registered
754 Posts
high flyer

It's always good to hear that a bird was returned when lost but I don't think that I would try to homing my flyers even though that I have read homing was breed into them years ago. I would think that a three mile toss would not be that bad because I am sure the loft would be visable to them in the air during there circling but I wonder how a fifty mile toss would turn out, let me know on this I am just curious.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Nice to hear your roller was found safe and sound! :) I do agree, releasing mixes isn't the best idea, since their homing ability is diluted. 3 miles isn't that far, but you're still taking a risk.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I've been thinking of getting those bands, just in case. Can you get them in snap on, or do they have to be put on babies? And where did you buy them. I think it was Foys I've seen them a long time ago, but not sure. Glad you got him back.

G

·
My birds are homers and homer crosses. They do fine.
goss you stated right here in this post that they are homers and crosses , you said it not me and that picture in your first post is not a homer either so I dont know what your problem is with me when Im just reading what you wrote and seeing it with my own eyes as well in your posts :rolleyes: if you want to lose your birds then go right ahead .
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/picture.php?albumid=543&pictureid=8111
this does not look like a homer to me ..?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I got mine in the mail this week! I have not bred any homer babies so mine have to have the snap ons with the call owner and my phone # printed on them. I will order some seemless when I do breed. they do take 6 weeks to get though so order ASAP. also, I agree about tossing the mixes, they will not always make it home as their homing instinct has beed reduced with the mix breeding, I would just loft fly those, that is your best bet. you do not really want to put them in jepardy on purpose, and I know your not one of those people that want to do that. glad your bands worked, shows you do really do care about your birds.:)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
So I was training my birds and mixed in 3 young ones that were doing well on thier training......I released my birds about 3 miles away and one of the young ones seperated started flying with some local pigeons. So I get home and sure enough.....missing one.....

6 whole days went by and I get a phone call this morning from a printing warehouse in San Marcos about 10 miles away. My bird flew into the warehouse and they trapped him in a box.

I WAS SO RELIEVED!! I left work immediately and picked him up. He was so skinny and lethargic. He had bugs on his feathers too!

I took him home and cleaned him up and he ate and drank.....

Long story short....buy bands with your name and phone on them. Here is living proof.

Flying non-homer breeds not withstanding...

Believe it or not, some folk who race loose the majority of their YB team some years.

If you fly your birds, you will loose some. It happens.

I've had YBs stay out overnight and show up the next day.

I had a prisoner escape once, figured he's a goner and he showed up about a week later wanting back into the loft bad! I've also released birds never to see them again.

ggoss1,
Glad to hear you got your way-ward bird back due to having personalized bands. Its not a bad idea if you're going to fly your birds. I hope you thanked the folks who rescued your bird.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts