Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Including all the fees: club and/or combine, concourse along with shipping.

How much does it cost for you to fly?

·
Registered
330 Posts
cost

All fees + 100 bands cost me $116 Not flying OB'S so not sure of cost but YB'S is $200. + lots of gas!
Jack

·
Registered
594 Posts
My club dues are $40.00 a year. There is a $10.00 fee for shipping to a race. We can send up to 25 old birds or 20 young birds to any race. More than reasonable in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
We charge $180 per season per flyer - that covers dues and race fees for the season. Then add bands on top of that, plus feed and meds, plus gas for training (although I personally burn waste veggie oil, so fuel is practically free for me). I'd estimate I spend $600-700/year all told. I only have a loft of 12-30 birds.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
When you figure in ALL of the things associated with this sport, it is relatively expensive. But it can be done on the cheap. You just can't consistently win on the cheap.

You have to consider everything from gasoline, lofts, equipment, stock, feed, medications, dues, fees, etc., etc.

A ballpark rough guess, taking those considerations and many more into account, would be that to be competitive, you would be spending somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 to 5 thousand in your first year, and 1 to 2 thousand in subsequent years.

Of course, one could easily spend 20 thousand on a loft or a bird or two. So, it is really relative how deep an individual wants to get into it.

I would think that a minimum starting out, would be one thousand for the first year. But some kid could race out of an old rabbit hutch with birds donated to him/her, and do it for under 500 bucks a year (old and young bird seasons included). He just won't win often.

These are all really guesses on my part, based on my own experiences. I am in my second year and have spent approximately 4 to 6 thousand during these last two years.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Let's see....$25 for club, about $15 or 20 for combine, $15 for IF, anywhere from $130-140 for flying young birds (I don't remember how much for old birds, but closer to 200 than YB is), $20 for 100 bands. So lets just assume I fly both seasons (which I do), buy a 100 regular club bands, and no special race bands OR auction race birds. I'd be paying at least $335 per year. Also, my dad usually pays to be a member of the club as well, which would put us at $405+.

Now if you add in feed at 20-something dollars for 50lbs...and gas for training...and the electricity for the lights my birds are on....and the pine straw for nest building and bedding...and grit. Hmm, anything else? I think that's about it. It can be a lot of money, but the good thing is, it's spread out enough to where it doesn't hurt so bad.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I'll answer my own question. Then we can compare numbers. Club fee is $20, Heartland Federation fee is $30, AU fee is $35 ,bands are $0.45/apiece (I ordered 50 = $22.50), old bird shipping is $250, young bird shipping is $125. Both shipping fees include unlimited shipping of the number of birds. Total for me is $482.50. Luckily, I have a loft partner in my brother. We split everything down the middle so my wallet will take a $241.25 hit.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
$25 to the club, $25 to the AU, $.50 for bands, $90 ybs series. So, $140 plus bands cause I don't fly OB's that would be anouther $90.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
You forgot feed, the loft, equipment, medicines, gasoline for training. Wear and tear on vehicles, and a sundry other things.

I isn't just what you pay up front for fees and dues. It is also all of the "little" things that keep piling on.

It can be substantial. Of course depending on ones income. One mans lunch money is another mans monthly income.

What would interest me is how many people actually make a net profit from racing pigeons? Not from selling birds, but from racing for money. I know a few, but not me for sure.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hahaha...condition, I was referring to just the flying aspect of it. But, if you want to include ALL expenses, then I think we're all spending a lot!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Cost makes new people think twice about this hobby. Everything involves money which comes after the introduction of the basics of the sport ouch.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have to say you do get sticker SHOCK when your a new member of a club because nobody ever tells you up front the cost of flying with a club, this time of year the dues for the AU is collected along with your club membership so AU--$25.00 Club for me is $50.00 doesn't sound too bad does it? you kind of expect that, then of course there is your club bands not much 45 cents each you expect that, now comes the tricky part your not told much about until race season is upon you, you must pay up front for all the races in a season for instance "young bird season" 10 race schedule you must pay for all the races UP FRONT even if you only are able to fly a few of them?? or miss some for what ever reason, so say just for discussion it is determined that each flier must pay say $15.00 for each race not bad at all but times 10 now that member gets hit with a $150.00 bill on top of all other fees, so it's not a pay as you go system, also keep in mind I'm somewhat new to this so take it with a grain of salt and since my son and I our flying as a team for now most of my information is second hand from him, so if this is all we paid not really all that bad is it, but then I'm told we still have to pay shipping fees on top of this so now I'm confused as hell as to what goes to what since we fly with a combine, so this is another bunch of money which is determined by how many are flying, the more that fly the lower the cost the fewer the more it cost, now there are ways to get around many of these FEES like working at the club fixing things, providing some sort of service, for instance we put in a well that was needed by the club so we got compt for doing the work! So I can see where a new member is scared off pretty quick when it is not explained up front and fully before joining a club!:eek: I'm sure there are things I left out like paying drivers to take birds to the combine truck and other fees to keep the club going, being in the dark can be very scary! :confused::eek:

·
Registered
104 Posts
We have solved most of the issues that have been discussed with a simple flat rate, $375 per year. That includes membership in the club, the AU, 50 bands, shipping fees for both Old birds and Young birds, there is no refund if you don't fly one or the other. We are a small club and we split what it costs to run the club for a year.

Jim

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have to say you do get sticker SHOCK when your a new member of a club because nobody ever tells you up front the cost of flying with a club, this time of year the dues for the AU is collected along with your club membership so AU--$25.00
I agree with you on that. When I first joined my pigeon club, they were just telling me the amount, until near the end of the season when you get a paper print out of how much this or that cost and what it was for.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you think it's a fair assesstment? Or do you think the fees are too much? I understand that the economic times are tough, but the sport is expensive as a whole. So either way you look at it, money is a big part of the game. Heck, even enjoyment now has a price tag.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts