Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone please help me. my baby pigeon crop is swollen .its like its filled with water and i dont know it is dangerous for him or not .
iam hand feeding him with baby formula and water .its 7 days old

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Might have a yeast infection that caused sour crop. Is he producing droppings? Have you been keeping him warm on a heatpad? If not warm enough, the food won't digest and will rot in the crop. Ideally one should empty the crop and start giving Nystatin. Emptying the crop is dangerous, they can easily aspirate. Will you be able to get hold of Nystatin from a pharmacy in your country?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can someone please help me. my baby pigeon crop is swollen .its like its filled with water and i dont know it is dangerous for him or not .
iam hand feeding him with baby formula and water .its 7 days old
Might have a yeast infection that caused sour crop. Is he producing droppings? Have you been keeping him warm on a heatpad? If not warm enough, the food won't digest and will rot in the crop. Ideally one should empty the crop and start giving Nystatin. Emptying the crop is dangerous, they can easily aspirate. Will you be able to get hold of Nystatin from a pharmacy in your country?
i am keeping him well heated and yes he is producing droppings and i will look for this medicine but when i looked for answers online some of the answers that it has a raptured air sac?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's possible. Can you post a photo of him? I've never dealt with this issue unfortunately. How is he otherwise? Squeaking to be fed? Grooming himself?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's possible. Can you post a photo of him? I've never dealt with this issue unfortunately. How is he otherwise? Squeaking to be fed? Grooming himself?
yes he is grooming himself and everthing seems normal that why i think thats its a raptured air sac? i just need someone to tell me is it dangerous for him and tell me what to do because when i searched and saw the way to empty the crop from air i tkink it needs a vet and theres no vet that can help in pigeons in my country

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Looks like the crop is involved. Were the photos taken on a full crop? What does it look like when the crop is empty? It's also possible he might be swallowjng air when getting fed. Although the bulge in the first photo looks a bit suspicious. That can be undigested food. Can you post a photo of his overnight droppings?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the crop is involved. Were the photos taken on a full crop? What does it look like when the crop is empty? It's also possible he might be swallowjng air when getting fed. Although the bulge in the first photo looks a bit suspicious. That can be undigested food. Can you post a photo of his overnight droppings?
Sleeve Grey T-shirt Wood Denim

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hi, in all honesty I can't help you with an advice or an opinion but I want to share this link.

Give it a read and try to understand if it could really be a ruptured air sac or if you can rule that option out.
In the link they explain that the skin should look slightly transparent (I'm watching your pics from my phone and the skin of your baby does not look like the one in the pics in the link) and give other useful info.

Have you noticed any bad smell coming from his mouth?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, in all honesty I can't help you with an advice or an opinion but I want to share this link.

Give it a read and try to understand if it could really be a ruptured air sac or if you can rule that option out.
In the link they explain that the skin should look slightly transparent (I'm watching your pics from my phone and the skin of your baby does not look like the one in the pics in the link) and give other useful info.

Have you noticed any bad smell coming from his mouth?
Thank you so much for your help i read it
and i still confused .i cant do anything by myself anymore because when i emptied the crop he got tired and i thought i was losing it . and i already tried the syringe needle and it didn't work so i am looking for a vet so thanks for your help

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for your help i read it
and i still confused .i cant do anything by myself anymore because when i emptied the crop he got tired and i thought i was losing it . and i already tried the syringe needle and it didn't work so i am looking for a vet so thanks for your help
and no it doesn't have a bad smell

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The droppings are not looking good. Should be brown when getting fed handraising formula and more bulkier. Can you get Nystatin? If he has a ruptured air sac (I don't think he has), it won't kill him. But yeast or canker will.

If you can get Nystatin, give him 0.3 ml on an empty crop and gently massage. Do this twice a day and wait half an hour to a hour before feeding him. That buldge can be undigested food. You can add some human baby applesauce to his formula as well. Gently massage and see if you can get the buldge to break up. Don't force it, only very gently.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
What is his history? Did he fell from a nest? Was the crop like that when you found him or did this started later on?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i rescued it .his mother made a nest in the balcony
it was him and his brother but a crow killed his brother and i took it before the crow killed him
the fist day the crop wasnt like that and the second day it started swelling. and now this is third day and its so swollen right now

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i rescued it .his mother made a nest in the balcony
it was him and his brother but a crow killed his brother and i took it before the crow killed him
the fist day the crop wasnt like that and the second day it started swelling. and now this is third day and its so swollen right now
i found the medicine and gave it to him and massaged the crop .is it supposed to heal or do you know how long will it take for it to be less swollen?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
In all honesty I have never seen a crop like the one of your bird. Also I have never seen a crop filled with air and a ruptured air sac (in that case I can only say that the pics in the website look different from your ones).

Last May my pigeon Londo got an infection (the vet ruled out yeasts and canker, it was a viral or a bacterial infection) and her crop literally did not work. But it looked different from the one of your bird. I had to massage it several times a day (you can decide how many times according to the situation), each time for about 10/15 minutes. I massaged it in a gentle way by circular movements. Btw when you do that you need to be careful because you do not have to push any liquid up (I mean push a liquid into the throat/mouth) because the bird could aspirate. Also try to gentle press at the base of the crop (where food goes into the proventriculus) and to break the buldge up as Marina said.

Honestly I can't answer to your question, nystatin works well but we don't know what is the source of the problem. Nystatin treats yeasts.

I had to fight hard for weeks for saving Londo.
In addition to massages I also gave her warm applesauce.
I had to feed her very small amount of very liquid formula (before feeding it's important to be sure that the crop is empty). You could add the applesauce even to the formula as well as bird probiotics.

Did the crow attack him? Did you find any visible wounds?

Please keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts