Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Poor baby. I'm posting a photo of a baby (found on a FB pigeon racing group) with a similar problem. Some members suggested piercing the crop with a small needle to let the air out. Others suggested this was a yeast infection. I still think you are dealing with yeast. The droppings show that little food is going through, almost looks like starvation droppings. What came out when you emptied the crop the first time? Formula?
Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout Water Wrinkle

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I think you should continue with the Nystatin twice a day. Then after half an hour give diluted warmed up baby applesauce and massage the crop. If droppings gets produced, then feed formula. The formula should not be too thick. You can make it a bit thinner than tomato ketchup. Massage again after that, but very carefully. Wait till he starts producing droppings before feeding him more.

If possible, take a flashlight and check in the back of the throat for whitish growths. If you see any, then you know he has yeast and this will be inside his crop as well. Canker will show as yellow growths. When you feed him, does it look like he has difficulty swallowing?

When you started feeding him when you got him, did you give him formula that had the consistency of tomato ketchup? If it was too thick, some formula probably stayed behind in the crop and started fermenting and caused yeast.

Will a vet really be that expensive? He just need to do a cropsmear to check for canker and yeast.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
its not that its expensive. we dont have a vet that can help in pigeons
i am trying my best ,iam looking everywhere for a vet that can help in birds in general

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Needs to be an avian vet. I know it's dificult. Our closest avian vet is 5 hours drive away, so it's not always easy.

Are you on FB? If so, there's a site: Palomacy help group for pigeon and dove rescue. Lots of experienced members that can also give advice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
he is so much better now the swollen is almost gone i didnt give him food for like 10 hours till it emptied i only game him a good amount of water at first and massaged it alot but now should i kepp not giving him food for a few hours more till it empties completely or should i feed him and i think he has diarrhea
Bird Chicken Beak Feather Galliformes
Masked Shrew Textile Safety glove Rodent Whiskers
Water Organism Feather Grass Underwater

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Wait for the crop to empty before giving more food. Or wait till the crop is almost empty. He should be pooping regularly. The crop should be completely empty every morning (no feeding necessary during the night).

Continue with the Nystatin twice a day, morning and evening for the next 7 days. Nystatin is very safe to give, does not get absorbed into the body but needs to come into contact with yeast to kill it. Nystatin will also speed up digestion. The urates will be yellow when on Nystatin, that is normal.

I'm glad he is looking so much better.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
The colour of the droppings will improve when proper digestion is taking place. Will become brown and not green as in your photo.
Water Plant Road surface Organism Sky

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'm very very glad to see that he is doing better!

Yes, the crop must be empty before feeding him again.
When the crop will be empty I would start to give him a small amount of liquid formula and see if he is pooping regularly. When Londo had the infection I had to decide day by day the amount of formula, its consistency and if she needed massages. A horrible experience. It's better to be careful in these bad situations.

Let us know how he is doing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
okay so i posted in the fb group marina gave me and they said that human baby formula is the reason it got sour crop .and to feed him apple sauce but i bought human baby apple sauce it doesnt contain milk nor gelatin nor sugar.but it does contain rice flour . is it okay and if its not can i make the apple sauce at home?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
and what about the little bit of undigested food every time i wait till the crop empties the crop has some food left like the picture i posted it doesn't change will it take a while? and i am giving him the Nystatin twice a day with a good amount of massages.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
You can make your own applesauce by cooking a peeled apple till soft and blend with a bit of water to a soft consistency. The applesauce is only used to speed up digestion, so you can't only feed this.

I suggested baby cereal that contains no sugar or milk products. That's now if you can't find baby parrot formula from a petshop. To this you can add defrosted green peas (remove the skin). Blend the peas with the cereal. Then add a teaspoon of applesauce every time you feed him.

Continue with the massages and try to break apart the lump of food. Has there been an improvement in the droppings?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You can make your own applesauce by cooking a peeled apple till soft and blend with a bit of water to a soft consistency. The applesauce is only used to speed up digestion, so you can't only feed this.

I suggested baby cereal that contains no sugar or milk products. That's now if you can't find baby parrot formula from a petshop. To this you can add defrosted green peas (remove the skin). Blend the peas with the cereal. Then add a teaspoon of applesauce every time you feed him.

Continue with the massages and try to break apart the lump of food. Has there been an improvement in the droppings?
yes with the amount of droppings not the color

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
What country are you from? Are there no petshops where you can get a handraising formula for baby parrots and parakeets? Comes in powder form that you mix with water.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I didn't know that you were giving him human baby formula. It should be used only in case of emergency because it is not specifically formulated for birds.

I don't know what products are available in your country. I'm used to buy a fresh organic applesauce without added sugar. I don't have it at home now so I can't take a pic. I looked for it online:

It's 99,9 % apples (then there is antioxidant). If you can't find something similar you could handmade it as Marina explained. You could add a bit of it to the formula (I hope you can find it!).

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
The food accumulating at the bottom of the crop is probably because of an overstretched crop. He will need a crop bra. There are lots of info online reg handraised parakeets with this problem. The crop needs to be lifted a bit so that the food can go through. So you will need to put a small piece of fabric around the bottom of the crop that you can tie on the back, but not too tight. I'm sure there must be videos on youtube how to fix this problem.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Looks slightly better, but still not perfect. Are you still giving the Nystatin twice a day? You're giving him a seedblend with a bit of apple sauce? Is this quite runny? Does he get enough liquid? You can put a very small dish of water in front of him and gently dip the tip of his beak (don't submerge the nostrils otherwise he might aspirate) inside the bowl to get him to drink. Or stir the water with your finger. That will get him interested and he will drink if dehydrated.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts