Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is everyones birds handling the hight heat and humidity in the northeast. Anything you are doing differently? The temp in my loft yesterday evening was 100 and we had 90% humidity.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I keep plenty of fresh water available to them,and fly them in the morning when it's cooler.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in the tropics, every summer is very hot and humid up here. My birds handling it very well, plenty of shade and water. They like the bath a lot.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Waynette, we have the same temps, as you know, and a bit higher. I fill the bath every morning before work, and change the water about mid afternoon. I have a roof that I can pull over the aviary, which I do for shade. And even late afternoon, they are still running out to jump in the water. So cute................like little kids at the beach! LOL.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Waynette, we have the same temps, as you know, and a bit higher. I fill the bath every morning before work, and change the water about mid afternoon. I have a roof that I can pull over the aviary, which I do for shade. And even late afternoon, they are still running out to jump in the water. So cute................like little kids at the beach! LOL.
The other day I put the hose on 'mist' and was spraying them in the flight cage. Everybody layed over and was stretching their wings out to catch the water! Funny :D
When I'm in the pool, their all lined up on the perches watching me!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
You don't invite them into that big pool? C'mon, where's your sense of adventure? :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I have a small vent fan that i use to pull air through the loft . I also make sure they have plenty of clean water and a bath

Yes, I do that too, but the heat outside is hotter than the air in the loft. So I wait till evening to turn on the fan that pulls the air out. Temps are a bit better today.....................finally!

·
Registered
219 Posts
flew my birds 25 miles away and lost 19 one ended up over in
MI. on one of those hot days. My season for racing is done for the year. I have 5 birds left that will be my old bird team

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Wow! Sorry you lost them. Maybe they'll show up. How long has it been?

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Birds can handle most any temp. Have plenty of water And they will do great. And flying them on a 100 plus day is ok to. Helps get them conditioned. If we could handle the heat as they can That would be good for people. But us humans are spoiled in todays world.

·
Registered
219 Posts
jay3 it has been 6 days now. the bird that ended up in MI was released in lake Geneva,WI and ended up in plainwell,MI. I lost 9 whites and 10 reg. racers. all of good stock. they have been out 50 miles the way a crow flys

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Could have been scattered by a hawk or something? Something had to have happened. That's really too bad.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I lost ten birds the friday before last. I let them out on a friday morning and a 4 day storm rolled in coupl hours later. All great birds and down from a 3&4 place africa cock and hen. I worked my tail off for 3.5 months for those birds.

Anyways,I fly them in the morning when it's cool an make sure they have clean fresh water every day.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I road trained on Saturday also second time out went from 2 miles to 10 miles only got 5 back that day :( as of yesterday i have 19 total 7 still MIA, they where loft flying and routing good it was weird never had that problem before :confused: you should get them back doveman2:cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
couldn't of been a hawk. I could see 1 to 5 birds gone but all of them???? something had to of messed them up real bad. like I say all of them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts