Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two birds, Survivor and Perseverence, had some pretty harsh times when they were young. First that happened was Perseverence had trouble getting out of his egg. Then I forgot to cover little Survivor when I put her back in the nest, and boy did Mama want to take a peice of my hand off! She ended up bitting her baby instead. Perseverence and Survivor were now starting grow feathers. their eyes were wide open and the two could stand up and walk around. That was when we took the perches with the nests out. Me and my grandpa put nesting boxes on the walls, and moved Survivor and Perserverence to a lower box on the right wall. But unfortanetly, Our meanest, most domanint bird, Mistewthe2nd, had lost his perch and was looking for a place to make his nest. After a few incidents with my bird cluckle, everything began to settle down. One morning I was feeling very anxious and decided to go check on the birds. Inside I could here the babys screaming, but louder then usual. I was just walking in when I saw Mistewthe2nd poke his head out from the babys box, and to my horror his beak was stained red with blood. before he could turn around I grabbed him and through him out of the nest. Survivors feathers on her head were ripped off and she had large wounds underneath her wings. Perserverence had a little bit of feathers ripped off his head, but his wings and back were a bloody mess. My grandma helped me bandage them and clean the wounds, but for a long time survivors head did not grow back its feathers. Soon after the birds had completley recovered, they were beginning to fly. I was pretty sure they were ready for a trip to the park to fly with the flock, but even as I was loading them up in the crate a sense of dread was creeping over me. I went to the park near our house and set the birds free. Survivor was the first of the two birds to take after the flock. She flew staright torwards them. Then Perserverence came. He headed straight the direction and began to stray. Survivor Copied and flew a completley different direction from home and disspeared behind some pine trees. Perserverence Became scared and flew over to the roof of a barn. All I could do was wait and hope he would come down, but Survivor was definetly lost for good. All day Perserverence sat on that tin roof in the hot sun. Two days passed and There was no sign of them. Afew days after that, on a peaceful afternoon, I was just talking to my mom about how sad it was that the birds were lost. I turned the corner and sitting right in the middle of the bath bowl was Survivor and Perserverence! A group of my birds had been seen traveling over to the park, and they must have been searching for the missing babys. Now I am glad I named them Survivor and Perserverence. For their whole young life they survived challenge after challenge, and they Perservered until the end.
Survivor

Perserverence

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
That is an amazing story and I love their names. With what these two birds have gone through already in their short lives, the names fit them so well.

It must be hard to let them out for the first time and have to watch them disappear. I can just imagine how great it felt when they came back. They obviously missed the finer things in life, like a good bath !!;)

I think you'll have many more tails to tell about these two adventurers. Keep us posted.

Janet

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Thanks for sharing their story. Seems like you have a good connection to your birds. I'm glad they've made it!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Survivor and Pererverence are healthy 8 month old birds now, but they don't have mates yet. My two twins, Cutie and Warrilthe2nd, are obviously looking for mates right now, and I'm trying to pair survivor with one of them. I'm hoping Perserverence will end up with squeakers, as the two look pretty identicle to eachother and I'm interested in what their young would look like. Oh, and just for the extras, Perserverence ended up to be a cock, and Survivor a hen. Survivor is the outsider, she may be shy but she can definetly bite to defend her perch. Perserverence is the big boss of the young birds, and is all ready starting to get just as big as the bird who almost took his life when he was a baby. Someday after Mr. Dominant has retired, I'm pretty sure Pereservernce will be among the birds close to replacing him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts