Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I'd have to go shopping for longer tubes. I went ahead and secured it better and feel pretty good about it now. The extraction procedure wasn't that bad and it wouldn't bother me as much to do it again as to drive across town to get the longer tubing. At least at this harried time of my life, anyhow.

I forgive you for that last remark, Pidgey, BECAUSE I awoke from a SOUND SLEEP with the thought that I had missed something in your post. Went back and found the "offender."

I can't really "tease" someone when they are "down" and have a friend like yours named "HARRY!" You have a rough road to hoe! :(

If I were you, I would tell "HARRY" to take a hike...he's a baaaaad influence!! I'm sending Squeaks on a special SPP mission to Wing Fu the you-know-what out of HARRY!! :D

SENDING HKLL in sympathy!! :)

P.S.: BTW, doves seem to be the main birds attracted to my balcony feeder. Never saw a bigger bunch of bullies in my life...namely Mourning and White Wings! Talk about squabbles...enough to wake me from a sound sleep! Personally, I think they are "naturals" is the art of Wing Fu. Actually, Squeaks' Wing Fu Master was a DOVE! Little guy could MOVE!

Maggie: I'm sure that doves can be the greatest. However, with Pidgey, like warrior attracts like warrior!!

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Okay, Pattie Cakers got her surgery today. It seems that her oviduct had formed something akin to a diverticulum, which the vet ligated and removed. There were also some adhesions that also had to be ligated and separated. The vet feels that the stuff (similar to canker buttons; pictures later) that formed was more because of the diverticulum than an infection per se, but it's hard to say for sure. Anyhow, we got about an ounce of garbage out so she'll be breathing better. She's not really acting like anything happened at this point but I can tell she's a tad off.

As an aside, he mentioned that they've got plenty of feeling in the abdominal wall and can even feel the suture needle under the general anaesthetic (you almost want them to so that you can tell how far they're under) but they don't react to what you'd think would be far more painful in the actual gut. You can clamp the oviduct, which should be excruciating and they don't care (Pattie Cakers didn't) but the sting of the needle got a slight kick (just one).

Anyhow, it's over and done and she'll be feeling somewhat better (than before the surgery) probably within a day or two.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh, by the way, Mort spent his(?her?) first full day out in the loft today. I didn't even make it up the stairs this evening before Mort landed on my shoulder to go back inside the house.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Oh, by the way, Mort spent his(?her?) first full day out in the loft today. I didn't even make it up the stairs this evening before Mort landed on my shoulder to go back inside the house.

Pidgey

*sigh* well, gee, Pidge, what did you expect? I'd want to go back in the house too! I mean you RAISED him/her from a WEE one...probably thinks YOU are a pigeon (SILLY bird!) and those "others" are aliens or something!

Glad to hear Patti Cakers survived her surgery! Squeaks and I wish her the BEST and look forward to eneventful healing!

HUGS and SCRITCHES TO ALL!! :D

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
O Pidgey, I am so glad Pattie Cakers made it through the surgery so well. I'm glad it is over with and hope she'll recover really fast.

Mort misses his poppa. Do the right thing and keep him in the house. ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Pidgey, I am glad to hear Pattie Caker's surgery is over, was successful. I am sure this is a relief to your mind.

All the best,

Ron

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
The suspense is killing me...is Mort STILL out in "alien" land?? Or did you bring him back to the house???

ALSO...HOW IS BINGO??

Although a little soon, I hope Patti Cakers is doing well!

LOVE, HUGS and SCRITCHES to ALL!!

Shi & Mr. Squeaks

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, Mort goes out to the loft while we're at work now and comes in for while we're home. Mort's a big pigeon now and needs to learn how to live out there instead of how to get disgustingly comfortable on the bed like he was doing this morning.

Bingo has been a pretty long haul for a broken wing but I've never seen one swollen up like that. I had to drain 3 cc's off the hematoma every day for a few days. The radius and ulna have firmed up pretty well, it's just the humerus that hasn't been healing. It was overridden to start and it may have been infected as well, don't know.

I got a little more of the story a month later from the person who reported it. She thinks that her dog crunched on the bird (big dog) so maybe that's what did it although I thought there was some matching feather loss on both sides that looked like the feathers were rubbed off due to a collision. However, I didn't realize that her dog was that bad.

He can move the wing now a little bit but I'm keeping it taped up. In retrospect, he probably would have gotten it amputated as bad as it was a month ago if I'd taken him in. Nothing's rotting but it really looked bad for a lotta' weeks. He's actually in a pretty good mood and talks to Pattie Cakers quite a bit--it's been that way for several weeks now.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Wow! What a handsome PIJ! He looks like he has quite the personality. Hey, he sure knows where the "comfort" is! SMART boy! ;)

Well, I suppose if Mort gets in the house when you are home, that's OK...he still probably thinks he's being "punished" for some reason when he has to go back with those "strangers!" :(

Squeaks' wing never did heal until the decision came to amputate. He sure wasn't the happiest pij either before surgery. Became a different bird once the "bad" part was gone...

HUGS and SCRITCHES to ALL...pigeons, that is...:D

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Morty continues to come in every evening to watch over us sleeping from a perch on the bedroom door. Lin goes to work earlier than me everyday so she gets up earlier. I'm beginning to suspect that she and Mort have worked out a plan that as soon as she goes out the door, it's his job to fly down to the bed and pester me to get up. Otherwise, he's a pretty good bird.

Pattie Cakers has been out in the loft for almost two months now and is doing just fine.

Bingo's out there too, for almost a month now. He's adjusted pretty well and I noticed him dancing in front of a female the other day so I guess he's got his will to live back.

We got another squeaker from the vet last Friday that is the single loudest and longest yelling one that I've ever seen. Poor Unie! Anyhow, this one almost refuses to "go" while in the nest so she holds it until you pick her up and hold her over the trash. We decided to name her...

..."Squeaky Clean"

Pidgey

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Pidgey, I do love your entertaining updates! :D That is a great report all around.
Squeaky Clean sounds cute. We try to rush ours to the trash can but...oooops do happen and splat on the floor.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Mort's been bad. We take him out to the loft early every day (even weekends since his habit is to land on the bed up near your face as soon as it's light enough to navigate). I had to break away from this post to go get him off the crumb cake Lin made today (thank goodness it was covered with plastic but now you understand what a problem child he is!).

Twice.

Anyhow, as I was a'sayin'... Mort's been bad. We had to go mow the lawn at the lakehouse and when we got back, Mort was on one side of the screen of the loft window (inside) and two young squeakers (ferals) were on the outside. I'm guessin' they're siblings and this was their first day out in The Big Wide World. They were lost and scared and I know in my heart that Good Ole' Mort was telling them to wait on the windowsill so that His Pet Human would take care of them. To their credit, they didn't flinch when I opened the screen and they jumped in like they'd been doing it all their lives when it had only been open for a few seconds.

I isolated them in a container (had to--one of them was immediately collared for trespassing) and put some feed in so they'd learn what to do. I'll give them a few days of that as well as teaching them The Wonderful World of Water before throwing their vagrant little ****s out so they can go back to the underpass where their kind belongs.

Mort's on my shoulder as I've typed the latter portion of this, by the way. Preening. Furiously.

Pidgey

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
So glad that Pattie Cakers is doing so well! I know you've put a lot of time and effort into her well-being.

Pretty cool that Mort put the word out to those two feral squeakers! Bet you didn't expect him to be doing the advertizing for you. ;)

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
I am sure glad to hear Mort is doing well! He sounds like a pij after my own heart! I will continue to send little suggestions to him via a seed hole to keep up his - ah - friendly ways! YOU GO MORT!! Sounds like he's a REAL pigeon ambassador. Can't wait for more to turn up on your doorstep!

I hope Pattie Cakers is still doing fine. SCRITCHES...

Squeaky Clean? I must say, you and Lin DO have a way with names! Can understand her wanting to poop in a certain place. Squeaks has his favorities too. Of course, his just HAPPEN to be in a major walkway from the bedroom to the living room. I DO have to watch!

Didn't you have a little one who needed a name and was being treated?

Hey, Unie, you keep everyone in line now, y'hear??

Love Hugs and Scritches

Shi
& Mr. Squeaks

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Pidgey, that was a sweet, sweet, post. So funny how we can growl over them doing something like Mort trying to get into Lin's crumb cake, but deep down, we're tickled over the mischief they can get up to. Mort sounds like one of those "once in a lifetime" pigeons with personality plus.

That was pretty neat about the 2 fledglings showing up. I'll bet those you've released took them there.

·
Registered
728 Posts
About the crop thing...My babies had that. When they were very young, their crops would empty incredibly fast. But not later in life. I think this is because they don't have to empty entirely or can't, especially not that soon after feeding. Their parents feed them without any thought as to how full their crops are, and that's what squabbies are built for - being fed a lot of rich food very often by their parents. The new food pushes down the old food from what I can tell - my babies had no complications. When we hand feed babies from day 1 and are very observant of their behavior and actions, we learn a lot.

For one thing, though many rehabilitators think otherwise, a crackling sound upon breathing usually means absolutely nothing, and many babies have it pretty late into life. Lots of people who rehab or raise squabs a lot don't even listen to their breathing, but if they did, they'd realize that they have it at birth and only really lose it when they start weaning, though it cuts down a bit. Respiratory stress is much different from crackling. They can go hand in hand, but crackling alone is most often nothing. Respiratory stress should be looked after immediately. I made the mistake of putting a normal, healthy squab on antibiotics from crackling breathing. His name was Fizban. He died because the antibiotics overran his system and he couldn't take it. I thought he was improving at first, growing a lot more and getting more playful, but it was just the fact that I was feeding him more at each feeding, and holding him more because I was worried about what I thought was his ailment. Fizban died in the most horrible way I've ever witnessed. He lost control of his legs and couldn't swallow. He couldn't breathe anymore, either. I think fluid from his crop kept coming back into his mouth, though he wasn't regurgitating. Part of his crop got really hard and swollen, and the other side was way too puffy. RIP little Fizban. To me, he sets a great example for why we shouldn't jump to conclusions, and shouldn't always believe what others say. Watch your babies, watch their behavior and everything. If they're losing weight, is it because of the temperature or how much you're feeding them? You could subconsciously be feeding them less. It can happen.

I guess, too many squabs have been at the mercy of bad diagnostics.

PS: Mort sounds adorable! He's a keeper. I just love mischievious little pidgies. My Toad was like that. He also got pretty ticked off at pieces of hay when he was a squeaker. He'd pick one up and toss it away, and then run after it, almost falling over, and do it again, all the while squeaking furiously, cross-eyed, trying to figure out what was wrong and why it just wasn't going away.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Mort ALWAYS comes in at the end of the day and ALWAYS flies down from his perch on the door to land on me in bed to wake me up. In the evenings, he's always territorial and in the mornings he's always very loving. I can't figure out if it's a Jekyll/Hyde kind of thing or if he's just a morning person.

Anyhow, update on the two little ones. They are undersized and will always be--they must have endured much privation as children. Each morning now, I throw them out to be with the feral flock and each evening they're on the window ledge to be let in where they gorge in their apartment and drink like fish. Gluttons. For such small frames, they are pretty solid now.

However, they don't seem to have much use for the wild life, their peers or their birthright as creatures of the sky. All they want is to wallow in food and drink, it's disgusting. I've already been giving them Tough Love by throwing their miserable ***es out every day and now I'm probably going to have to resort to Tougher Love, I just haven't thought of how--maybe finger wagging...

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Anyhow, update on the two little ones. They are undersized and will always be--they must have endured much privation as children. Each morning now, I throw them out to be with the feral flock and each evening they're on the window ledge to be let in where they gorge in their apartment and drink like fish. Gluttons. For such small frames, they are pretty solid now.

However, they don't seem to have much use for the wild life, their peers or their birthright as creatures of the sky. All they want is to wallow in food and drink, it's disgusting. I've already been giving them Tough Love by throwing their miserable ***es out every day and now I'm probably going to have to resort to Tougher Love, I just haven't thought of how--maybe finger wagging...

Pidgey
Oh, and don't forget to wipe "Sucker" off your forehead as you "tisk, tisk" them. :rolleyes:

They're smart little ones. Hotel le Pidgey is so much more comfy than the great outdoors, not to mention the fact that you are offering free continental breakfast and dinner.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
My real guess is that they followed their dad to where he eats (my place) and they were too scared to follow dad back home, just paralyzed with fear. Or, their dad went missing and they followed the crowd. When they got to my place, they saw a pigeon behind the screen and fixated, afraid to go anywhere else. So, they stuck like glue. I gotta' give 'em credit, they don't get lost--while they fly around the house, grounds and up into the trees, they don't get far enough away to get lost. I just wish they'd learn from the other ferals how to eat the stuff outside instead of insisting to be brought in every night. They're really not basking in the hospitality so much as they're terrified to try anything new. After all, they already did and look where it got them!

Pidgey

21 - 40 of 56 Posts