Pigeon-Talk banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Darn! This psychic stuff really works!! Woke up THINKING and WONDERING how Mort and the gang were doing!

An update after my own heart, Pidgey! Yeah, like you would FORCE the siblings to live the grunge life in the bad outdoors! They came to you for a reason...and they are "Mort approved!" You are just going to have to live with it!! I agree 100% with Flitsnowzoom!

Hey, I haven't used an alarm clock for YEARS! If my cats aren't getting me up, then Squeaks decides it's HIS turn. NO one can sleep when he starts STOMPING. How that bird makes ALL that noise is beyond me, but, unfortunately, he now knows that it WORKS! :rolleyes: I guess he found out that bell ringing isn't "strong" enough!

Every so often, a pij will come along who has personality PLUS...Mort is such a one! How MANY people can say they have a PIGEON ALARM CLOCK? For REAL!

(Squeaks DID mention that he had sent some human "wake up" suggestions to Mort! And, Mort, being the smart pijie that he is, figured out the rest! BRAVO, MORT!!)

HKLL to ALL
Shi
& Mr. Squeaks

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, I now, at least, have some hope for Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee--they went down to eat a little bit with the feral flock today. Sure, they sat around in the trees for the most part or on the windowsill but they're aware of what the other guys are doing when they're down there pecking. The only bad thing with them (besides their close friendship with Mort) is that they, themselves, have brought ANOTHER squeaker there. The last two evenings there've been three instead of two. Fortunately, the third one doesn't hang around when the window screen opens.

Bingo gave me a fright. He was standing straight up this evening and looking like a pouter. I caught him and, sure enough, he had an embolism and his neck was so full of air that he couldn't bend it down to peck for food. I brought him in and bled off the air with a hypo. It took a good half hour to get it down. In the interim, he pooped and you could see nothing but bile strings and water. He hasn't been able to eat all day, I expect. When I took him back out, eating was the first thing on his mind. I better check him for canker, I expect.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Sending POSITIVE HEALING VIBES for Bingo, Pidgey! Sure hope he will be all right!

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, eh? How fun! Sounds like you now have a Tweedle DEE DUM (the Third!)...Hey, what can we say...word gets around! I LOVE IT!

Couldn't happen to a better....pidgey...er, person...

Keep us updated between feedings and such!

Shi
& Mr. Squeaks

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Well, MIZZ SQVAWKS, turns out that Morty's really Mortie, judging by the egg that she's protecting, now. I expect this concludes the coming-in-at-night routine. Lin's devastated.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
OH NO!! No WONDER she always came to wake you up!!! ROFLMAO

Mmmm, so she can't sit on her egg(s) in the house? Is she sitting all the time? Isn't it about time for the second egg?? What is she using for nesting material?

AFTER she comes off her egg, will she be brought back in at night (if she's in the loft now)?

How is Squeaky Clean? Second Chance? Patti Cakers?

I know Unie is doing just fine! Bet she was glad when you came home from vacation! Probably thought you had abandoned her!

HKLL TO ALL

Sh & Squeaks

:D :D :D :D

WOW! Who would have thunk?? YIKES!!

P.S. How is Bingo and the Tweedles??

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Unie did get a little depressed, according to the interim caregiver, but she's certainly gotten back into the groove now. Squeaky Clean and Second Chance both live out there now under their own recognizance and are doing good. Pattie Cakers is currently inside for observation although she seems to be doing fine. Actually, her worst problem is she's too acquiescent when her mates drive her to the nest, which they do too much because she can't lay an egg anymore. She gets behind so I have to bring her in for food-and-water-catch-up from time to time.

Mort's first egg came last night so the next one won't be until Tuesday afternoon. Lin wants me to do the unthinkable and bring her in at night per her regular schedule and make her hubby sit overnight (on a regular basis). She (Lin) has no concerns whatsoever whether this might jinx Mort's relationship with her hubby and force them into nesting counseling in the near future with a possible legal separation and separate maintenance agreement. Lin kinda' sees it that since they didn't come to her for a blessing to begin with then they can't complain if they get a curse instead. I tried to explain that you can't blame Mortie since we were on vacation but she won't listen to reason at this point...

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Darn! Too bad the MALES don't sit on the nest at night or that would work out great!

See what happens when you go on vacation and leave a lovesick pij (who up to this time probably thought 2 strange looking nakkid pijies were her mates!) She was forced to go with second best!

I bet you are going to tell us that Mortie's (Morticia sounds like a good name) mate is too "wild" for a house bird, right?

Guess, you will just have to see what develops with Mortie, her egg(s) and her pij mate(?)...

Sure bet Lin hates being your alarm clock again! No WONDER she's upset! ;)

HKLL anyway to you two at this "sad" time...

Shi
& Squeaks (who says he may have to talk to Mortie like a dutch uncle and let her know how her actions have devastated Lin! You, Pidgey, are probably secretly delighted not to have a pij startling you awake!)

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...Pattie Cakers is currently inside for observation although she seems to be doing fine. Actually, her worst problem is she's too acquiescent when her mates drive her to the nest, which they do too much because she can't lay an egg anymore...
Pidgey
I had a similar situation with KD. When she would get to the point that she'd sit for a while in the nest just to appease Charlie, I'd slip her a warmed dummy egg. Two days later, a second one. That way, she had her days free to get out and about and relax. Charlie really likes to set eggs. He hangs on several days after she gives up. ;)

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well, Mort came in for the night last night and didn't pine a bit sitting up on top of the bedroom door. Wasn't even in a hurry to go back out this morning, either. We'll see if that changes when the second egg drops. Not that Lin cares--she just wants her pet to go on being her pet.

Pidgey

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I had a similar situation with KD. When she would get to the point that she'd sit for a while in the nest just to appease Charlie, I'd slip her a warmed dummy egg. Two days later, a second one. That way, she had her days free to get out and about and relax. Charlie really likes to set eggs. He hangs on several days after she gives up. ;)
I think Pattie Cakers is attracted to the wrong kind of men--she always ends up in the abusive relationships, bless her heart!

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Yeehaaaw!

Good for Mortie! She knows a good thing when she has it AND, don't be surprised IF she drops her second egg while ON the door!

YES! The feathered alarm clock pij is BAAAACK!!

HKLL to ALL

Shi
& Squeaks (who says "you & Lin (especially) are welcome!" He talked to her via seed hole!)

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Morty's back to coming in every night again and that's the way Lin wants it. Morty's certainly not puttin up a fuss but her hubby ain't likin' it one bit.

Got one from someone in the neighborhood a couple of weeks back that had a broken wing (not too bad) and a booboo at the front of the keel. Same stink as Winston had--little bit of a pungent bacterial smell. I let it go for a few days but then finally worked up the courage to work on the dried-blood-in-feathers clump. Turns out there was a perfect hole about 3/8" in diameter with scab-like material stuffed in it up from the forward point of the keel (sternum), called the "carina":

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/skeleton.html

Anyhow, the hole went straight inward, through where the point of the furcula should be (wishbone) and then angled towards the left wingpit (for lack of a better word). When cleaning the garbage out of this part, mostly with forceps and flushing with a big syringe & saline, it was surprising how far it went in--one full inch, measured with a Q-Tip. I can't tell if this was a tracking abscess or a deep puncture of something bigger. There wasn't any feather debris in there so I'm leaning away from it being a BB or pellet wound. It's sealing up real well now and the bird's getting a lot feistier now.

The broken wing wasn't floppy even when I picked the bird up--there was already a callus forming and it's both the radius and ulna, just above midshaft. I think she'll do just fine and I wormed her last night (roundworm eggs in the fecal). I expect she'll have to go out to the loft for a couple of weeks to exercise the wing here in another week or so and then back out to her feral life if she can fly okay.

Pidgey

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Wishing your new one all the BEST in fast healing, Pidgey!!

SOOO glad to hear Ms. Mort is back, tending to her alarm clock duties and keeping Lin happy! Such a GOOD pijie! Her mate will just have to put up with a "part-time" relationship!

HKLL TO ALL

Shi
& Squeaks (back in daddy mode, molting away)

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The new one got to fly in the house a bit last night--she's going to be just fine in a few more days.

Pidgey

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Just read the Mort report and about your new one. Glad the new one is doing so well. Don't blame Lin for wanting her house pij for awhile. I always hate it when mine grow up and transfer their affection to their mate and my little house pij is no more.

Margaret

41 - 56 of 56 Posts