Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so to my dismay, I came home from work last night to discover only one of my 2 white homers had come home. By nightfall I closed the door to the loft and dealt with the known loss of my bird. So, this morning I woke up and on my way to work let my remaining bird out to, hopefully, go get my lost pidg and bring her back. I opened the loft and immediately jumped in my truck and headed off. As I pulled out of the driveway I seen "Gimpy" soar off in the usuall pattern they took everyday. Now, I only live 2 blocks south of the Interstate so within a minute I was on the highway and doing 70 mph. I got about 6-7 miles from home and what did I see? A white flash of light to my right, then suddenly, my boy Gimpy darts within 3 feet of my windshield - straight across! He scared the crap outa me, I hit the brakes to avoid a white smear on my windshield, thats how close he was. Now, I know what you're thinking: How you know it was your bird? Well, Gimpy isnt pure white, he has very distinct coloring and it was definitely him!

So, I've been blown away by this all day. I had no clue these birds could fly at 70+ mph! But, on a sad note, he did not return with my beloved "Phoenix."
But, I had to share this story with you guys! Absolutely amazing!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Thats is pretty interesting, makes me wonder that since your birds obviously know your vehicle if your bird was following as you left...glad you never hit your bird...hopefully pheonix comes home soon.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Those birds can really get it when they need to! You have to consider the fact that they are the fastest bird in the world, in level flight! They may not be able to keep up 70+mph for a long time (without the help of wind of course), but they are good at giving some random bursts of speed to get away from hawks...or...speeding cars, LOL :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow, I had no idea they were the fastest bird in the world. Crazy. I can tell you this,, he was definitely cruzing! I have an Irish Flag sticker on the back windshield of my truck; I was curious if he was purposfully following me. Maybe he "buzzed my truck" to show off for dad! Or, it was just coincidence that he darted out in front of me instead of someone else. Who knows.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Could be showing off :p When training, most of the time mine don't seem to really want to leave until we do. Sometimes I think they follow the truck, haha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, no sign of Phoenix. It's been 3 days, I'm losing hope. Last night, Gimpy left around 6pm and didnt return till the next morning. But, he came back. I'm hoping someone found Phoenix and is trying to keep her indoors. I know that if thats the case then someday she'll break free and come home. I guess that situation is better than the alternative. :(

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Have you noticed anything bothering the birds during the day or at night? Like hawks, owls, raccoons, dogs, etc. Usually birds just don't leave to sleep somewhere else, then come back, unless something's been stressing them in the loft. Usually having hawks hang on the wire or animals bothering them at night a lot, will cause a lot of 'fly aways' where the bird basically decides "I'm leaving" and doesn't come back. While some of those fly aways are caused by hawks busting up the group, many are caused by a lot of on going stress we don't even notice. It happened to me. Birds who I had raised, one was about 5 years old. I watched them take off right before dark and never show up again. No hawks or anything in sight, they just left on their own. Set the traps that night and caught a HUGE raccoon. Also, I managed to walk up on a young hawk hanging on the aviary. We covered it up a bit so they wouldn't have to see him, and everyone seemed to be happy again with no more birds leaving.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to bump an old post but I have an update on my bird. He/she had moved up the road under the bridge and had some offspring. I know its my bird b/c of the all white body with all black tail. There are some very pretty mottled white ferals around town which I have to belive are the offspring.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lol, thats too funny. I had the same thing happen too. I had a pure white homer who had feathers sticking out on his underside, unique to him only. One day he escaped the coop and flew away, never to return. Then one day I was walking in downtown and guess who I see, Mr. White, hanging out with the others. Funny times.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! Yeah, im pretty sure he/she left due to having no mate. I guess mating is more important than great food. It saddens me though, b/c Ive heard that their life expectancy is greatly reduced in the wild.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Those birds can really get it when they need to! You have to consider the fact that they are the fastest bird in the world, in level flight! They may not be able to keep up 70+mph for a long time (without the help of wind of course), but they are good at giving some random bursts of speed to get away from hawks...or...speeding cars, LOL :p
The Spine Tailed Swift is faster.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
That bird that flew in front of your windshield and escaped probley was your bird. In the winter when there is snow on the ground(only on these days) I feed the wild pigeons and go to work and the wild flock follows my truck for about a block and then turns around and goes back home---at least I think they are following me---but it happens so often I just know it is them..I think your bird will tie up with the wild ones and at this time a year find a mate and then off it is--and who knows maybe it will come home..c.hert

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Sorry to bump an old post but I have an update on my bird. He/she had moved up the road under the bridge and had some offspring. I know its my bird b/c of the all white body with all black tail. There are some very pretty mottled white ferals around town which I have to belive are the offspring.
That's nice news - really !

·
Registered
795 Posts
Well, that's why the law states, that If your pigeon Roosts on others property, You are Responsable!
Pigeons do that sometimes, the most likely cause is: Lack of Space/Room, not enough comfortable nest boxes, irritating cleansers, bullying (oh, what a pretty cat!)
Supply More then enough room/space for your pigeons!
I have always allowed 12 cubic feet of air space per pigeon, inside of my loft.
Two reasons, 1st, more room the better, 2nd, sometimes, I don't get the time to let them fly regulary, or often enough, (knowones perfect) so they must live in a proper enviornment, safely, untill I return. Kinda like a zoo.
ND Coopers Zoo! :p

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I would love to visit and see you and your family"s zoo but I don't get out too much and that advice sounds really good for each pigeons air space....posted to ND Cooper from c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Yes its a good one and you always go by car engines--you old mechanic... ND Cooper lol
And if I am ever in the area I'll fly right in.....c.hert

1 - 18 of 18 Posts