Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The new breeding cage (picts)

I just finished building some portable nest boxes and editing the new breeding cage. Thought i would try putting a male on the bull system and see what happens. ... The Foster parents are also ready.

It was a lot of fun building and putting together. I had some reservations about using the plastic as a deterrent to dust and feathers, i wasn't sure if it generate heat or not. But i left the front open and it seems to be working just fine.

· Registered
267 Posts
Looks really neat - well done! My husband and I are working on mine at the moment - will post some pics too when done. Can't imagine the plastic will be a problem if there is also ventilation.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the male paired with the saddle right away but began chasing the other hen around so i removed her.

The breeding cage is completley mobile, so i could move it outside if they need it. But ultimately they will only be in there till she lays and i will foster the eggs, and remove them both.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
For bull system I think racers use males that they know are absolutely really good. They want to spread his gene so to speak. Are you doing this because you know your male is really good or because you lack enough cocks?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have enough cocks, but i want to see how his babies would do from various hens. And i breed more for color genetics rather than racing. They may be tossed from some closer distances, but really only fly around the yard.

· Registered
4,082 Posts
Ok. I got it. In racing if his children turn out really good, then he becomes what they call potent cocks. Yeah, I love to see pictures of your color breeding results. My birds ended up with multi-color because they mated with each others.

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Yesterday the hen laid her first egg after being paired only since Sunday. Seems pretty early to me, but i guess it was the right cage for the activity. Haha :)
That is a bit soon. The earliest I've ever had a hen lay an egg after being paired is 6 days and even then, she was mated to a hen BEFORE I put her with the cock bird, so she was going to lay anyway. I would suspect that this hen would have laid an egg regardless of whether she was in the cage or not.
Question is, was she mated to another hen? Did she mate with another cock?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pair were in another small loft with one other pair. But this cock (Gavin) used to be paired to the other hen (Lilly), so he showed no interest in the hen (Freezepop) till i seperated them. After the move they did the deed three or four times in the next hour. And i thought i read a post somewhere that pigeons can do it 24hours before the egg is laid? I have never seen it that soon, but what would be the difference?

· Registered
20,303 Posts
The pair were in another small loft with one other pair. But this cock (Gavin) used to be paired to the other hen (Lilly), so he showed no interest in the hen (Freezepop) till i seperated them. After the move they did the deed three or four times in the next hour. And i thought i read a post somewhere that pigeons can do it 24hours before the egg is laid? I have never seen it that soon, but what would be the difference?
um, I guess it depends on how far along the egg was, could of hit it just right or the 2nd egg only got fertilized, Im a bit confused though did she have different mate in the small loft?

· Registered
15,608 Posts
That was probably ME that posted that. I'm almost CERTAIN that I have read that, but since my most recent episode with an oops baby that came from an egg that was laid at LEAST 4 days AFTER there was a cock around AND it hatched.........well, I'm not so sure anymore. :rolleyes::eek:
I'm going to get my book out later and look it up because I know I've read that.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She (Freezepop) was single in the smaller loft. Gavin wasnt interested in her until i removed them for alone time. He was once paired to the other hen in the small loft so his attentions were drawn strictly to Lilly. If you think thats complicated, try following the fantails.

· Registered
20,303 Posts
Sure, ive never done it before, but ill give it a shot.
you don't have to if you don't feel comfortable doing it, if you do, see if she gets off to eat and use a pin light flashlight, darken the room and hold the light to the egg and if you see some red veins they are fertile. don't drop the egg! if she wing slaps you it could throw the egg out of your hand or if you jerk away from the wing slap.....been there done that.:p:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.