Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation. Last year I started my loft with one Cock and one Hen. Then I brought in two new youngsters (nest mates). The original cock is dominant and owns the loft. He and his hen bred last year and were happy, although they did hassle the youngsters from time to time.

So I recently brought in a new Hen to mate up with the male of last years youngsters. (I have moved the female youngster out of the loft.)

She shows no interest in the young male, but swoons over the old dominant Cock.

I tried putting her in a nest box with the young male with a divider between them for a few days. Then i removed the divider. Still no chemistry between them.

She is ready to breed, i can tell by how she acts around the old cock.

But the old cock is already back with the old hen and building a nest. (I think he would have both hens if he could, but i would rather the new hen mate with the young male.)

I have been keeping the two "couples" separated so she doesn't mate with the old cock.

What can i do? Should I remove the old cock for a few days so that she gets the idea that the only male she can mate with is the young one?

Why does every new hen want the big dominant male that is already taken by another hen? :rolleyes:

Jeeesh !

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I wouldn't remove the older cock. I'd take the young hen with the bird you would like her to mate with out of the loft, so she can't see or hear him at all. Try putting them in cages next to each other for a week or so, and see if they show interest in each other. Once they are trying to get to each other, then try letting them be together. If it takes with them, then she will probably remain with him.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jay3 - Thanks for the good advice. I took the new female and put her in a basket in the garage with the young male. In the garage they can't see or hear the loft. I put a divider between them so they could see each other. I also put on lights to extend the daytime to 15 hours.

After 24 hours they were each sitting close to the divider looking longingly at one another. So tonight i removed the divider and they have been cooing and kissing (and who knows what) for the last 4 hours.

Tomorrow i will move them to a larger breeding pen for a day and then back to a nestbox in the loft on Thursday. That's my plan.

Boy, in the loft she wouldn't give him the time of day. But a day alone together and now they are like Annette Funicello and Frankie Avalon.

Thanks again Jay3.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'm glad it worked. I'd probably give them a few days before putting them back in the loft. The older more experienced bird may try to get her attention back, but now that she feels paired with her own guy, I don't think she'll bother with him. Good luck with them.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts