Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ace,

Thanks for the photos, that helps to put it into proper perspective.

This just may be another great tool to use as an open door to get into classrooms where our youth can have a chance to see not only what this hobby is about but also the important role the homing pigeon played in WWI.

Thanks Ace

Walter <><

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Why the ace in the hole people spirit wings you nosey thing--lol---you should buy a few too for you have birds that fly around outside I believe --in case they run out--buy a few..lol c.hert

·
Registered
293 Posts
Okay, here comes the village idiot with a question...:eek: I have been so curious as to how the message concept works and now that I see this post... I'm asking. I understand how to train to return to loft, but how do you get the bird to go "to" a specific place?:confused:

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Jimhalekw: Thats makes sense for I guess in the old days thats how they had to do it and thats kind of neat--I want a old one and can you imagine how precision they had to be to screw together like that (in the old days)..thanks...c.hert

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Okay, here comes the village idiot with a question...:eek: I have been so curious as to how the message concept works and now that I see this post... I'm asking. I understand how to train to return to loft, but how do you get the bird to go "to" a specific place?:confused:

The pigeons are only expected to fly back to their own loft. I have taken birds to schools and had the class wright the note. Take the class outside and released the bird. Someone at home would call me and I would then tell the class what they wrote. Messages can be sent from anyone you know up to 500/600 miles or more.

There is a white water rafting place that uses homing pigeons. They take pictures for you on your rafting adventure and when you reach the end of your trip the camera memery card is sent back by homing pigeon. When the rafters return to the lodge the pictures of there trip are ready for them.

Ace

·
Registered
293 Posts
The pigeons are only expected to fly back to their own loft. I have taken birds to schools and had the class wright the note. Take the class outside and released the bird. Someone at home would call me and I would then tell the class what they wrote. Messages can be sent from anyone you know up to 500/600 miles or more.

There is a white water rafting place that uses homing pigeons. They take pictures for you on your rafting adventure and when you reach the end of your trip the camera memery card is sent back by homing pigeon. When the rafters return to the lodge the pictures of there trip are ready for them.

Ace
Okay, thank you for explaining it to me. I was under the impression that they flew back and forth from loft to a specific place (thinking they were homed to each location), because of the way they were used in the war. But I was wrong. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Okay, thank you for explaining it to me. I was under the impression that they flew back and forth from loft to a specific place (thinking they were homed to each location), because of the way they were used in the war. But I was wrong. Thanks again.
During WWII birds were shipped to France from England in the dark of night and used to fly messages back to England.

Ace, my wife is a teacher and uses my homers to teach WWII. I need a couple so please PM me your address to mail the check.

Tony

·
Registered
293 Posts
During WWII birds were shipped to France from England in the dark of night and used to fly messages back to England.

Ace, my wife is a teacher and uses my homers to teach WWII. I need a couple so please PM me your address to mail the check.

Tony
Thank you for clarifying it for me... that is very interesting. I read where some were actually awarded medals.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Tony
We need to introduce kids to our sport every chance we get. Without them our sport will soon die out.

PM sent

Thanks, Ace

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
We need to introduce kids to our sport every chance we get. Without them our sport will soon die out.

PM sent

Thanks, Ace
I admitt we do, all my friends think im crazy and i know a few other juniours. It kinda sucks when all i wanna do is talk about pigeons, but noone i really talk to alot has them. So usually im talking peoples ear's off :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

PM sent

Thanks, Ace
Here is what I do. During training tosses I always pick public places; parks, parking lots, downtowns. You will always get people asking questions. Just be ready to spend a little time explaining.
Tony

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I admitt we do, all my friends think im crazy and i know a few other juniours. It kinda sucks when all i wanna do is talk about pigeons, but noone i really talk to alot has them. So usually im talking peoples ear's off :)
Yeah I know what your talking about. All my friends think I'm crazy I have pigeons. They all call me pigeonman like it's an insult or somthing but I like it. I even called myself pigeonman on myspace. LoL But every once in a while it works out where the new girl at the party asks you why everybody calls you pigeonman and it gives you an in to talk to them. And I've found a few girls that really got into talking about pigeons. But then again you get the ones that look at you like your crazy you have pigeons but oh well it's their lose.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have had several people interested in purchasing 5 capsule so i thought i would just post on here the price i have been giving them.

The capsules are $12 each, 5 capsules for $55 or 10 capsules for $100 and i will pay the shipping.

Thanks to all of you that have been giving me all of the good feedback and interest in these capsules.

Ace/Mark

21 - 40 of 57 Posts