Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ever since I caught Pigeon Fever, I have been trying -unsuccessfully to pass on the addiction to others- esp the young people in my life.

My son loves animals, and loves the pigeons- but only when he doesn't have to go into the loft- he is totally grossed out by the smell (?- man, I keep that baby Clean!) of the loft, and by the thought of stepping on pigeon poop. So, he enjoys the birds, but only when I have some in the birdcage in the sun room for him to play with. So, he is my official "tamer", and he helps out with training, which is great. I hoped for more, but I gotta accept that he has his own path- and pigeon racing is probably not a part of it.

Anyway, his best friend came over yesterday after a long time of not being here due to the complexities of everyone's child custody arrangements- and that boy is Hooked! :D . Went right into the loft, wanted to know all about how the training and such works- volunteered to be at my house when I do training tosses to see who comes home first, etc etc. He was downright obsessed. Even when they were playing video games, he would stop to ask me questions about the pigeons- what is the next step in training- when will the eggs hatch (We have our first eggs-yay!) .

I am so excited because Kadyn is a good kid- like a second son to me since he has been my son's best friend since kindergarten- and now I have succeeded in passing on Pigeon Fever to him. I will likely be able to get him involved in our 4H program too- his mom is open to that, understands the value of 4H.

Other kids and adults have checked out the loft or the birds and thought it was a cool project; the neighbors- and neighborhood- is excited cuz they want to watch them loft fly- but nobody has come over and been so instantly hooked as this kid. :D I predict that I'll be helping him stock his own loft sometime in the future.

I think it is one of those things where you cast a net, and only the right sized fish get caught- but if we don't cast out nets by promoting our sport and sharing it with others, we won't catch any new fish. :D

Our county fair went from not even having a pigeon category to having 50-60 birds on display due to the efforts of our 4H program. And it grows every year, because some of the parents of those 4H kids catch "the Fever" too. Stuff like this gets information about the sport out there where people who never even knew pigeon racing existed suddenly find themselves building a loft. :D

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Great job! I don't know why it's so hard to get people into it. Once they try it, they will love it. I think a big part right now is the parents not supporting it. I've seen a lot of kids quite interested only to see their parents say, "We'll see..." and they never "see". Too much money/trouble to build a loft, they think they'll make too big of a mess, they think the kids will put it off on them to take care of, etc.
There is a girl a year behind me that just recently contacted me about getting into pigeons. She saw me in the newspaper with the club and sent me a message on facebook asking if that was me. Another case where she will have to talk her family into it. I invited them to the next club meeting (not the best place to get into the sport as our building makes everyone so loud and it will be confusing probably...BUT everyone will be there to talk to her and the family after/before the business is taken care of).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Out here, we don't live on farms, so people who are interested have nowhere to raise birds. We could start up a good sized club of maybe 20+ just from the people I know who will get into the sport if not for the lack of "room".

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Out here, we don't live on farms, so people who are interested have nowhere to raise birds. We could start up a good sized club of maybe 20+ just from the people I know who will get into the sport if not for the lack of "room".
That sucks! I'd go crazy if I didn't live in the country.

·
Registered
42 Posts
KEEP IT UP !!

I remember a few years ago when me and my friend got into our flocks and had about a hundred all together, and we met up with a guy and he was so excited that two rather young females were getting into pigeons, he gave us quite a few very nice birds :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The best thing happening here is the 4H program, and the fact that the club president generously built a large loft just for the 4H kids on his property. That way, the kids can become involved without their parents having to freak out about the commitment. There are 20 kids, and they take turns coming out there to clean the loft, as well as meet on thursday nights for a 4h club meeting. Currently our club with it's whopping 4 adult members- is running it's own race series for the kids. Each kid was given 5 YB to raise, train, and show at the fair. We are working on becoming alined with another club that is about 65 miles away and is also very family oriented- and has a pigeon program at the middle school as a way to teach science, math, writing- etc etc. Our club will have a program at a local private school this fall.

Although the details of the politics are fuzzy for me, apparently some clubs in the concourse don't want a bunch of kids around - then they probably complain about the sport dying. Anyway, I guess we are going to have a smaller combine and do our races with the other kid/family club next year.

Anyway, 4H is a great program, and a great way to get the kids involved. And you don't have to live in the country to do it. Our county population is about 50% rural, 50% small cities/towns. 5 kids managed to get their parents interested enough that they have their own lofts at home now. I was in 4H briefly for rabbits when I lived in L.A., so I know city kids can do it too.

So, I guess all we can do is make our clubs family friendly, and keep talking pigeons to anyone who will listen, so we can hook some more future pigeon flyers. It is a good, wholesome activity with much to offer children in lessons about life. Heck compared to the time commitment and expense of team sports- especially the "all-star" teams that travel all over the place, pigeon racing is dirt cheap!

I really enjoy spending time with kids- they crack me up, and are very insightful in their own way. Plus there is an honesty about kids that I don't find in many adults. They are more sincere and genuine- haven't yet had to alter who they are in order to survive the gauntlet of adulthood. I like having the opportunity to show them that they can in fact be themselves, don't have to be crushed by the demands of society. My son has learned this well, and he is hilarious, joyous and sweet. He tends to have friends that I like well enough that they could move in with us if they had to- and a couple of them actually want to.

So, I will keep on sharing my passion for pigeons, and gathering up kids- and any adults that I can tolerate-lol- that get that twinkle in their eyes when they step into my loft.

·
Registered
457 Posts
For a few years in my late teens, we rented a house in an older part of town where we raised a few pigeons and a few chickens. The neighbors didn't seem to care, as we were all pretty much in the same "class" with the same or similar mentality. A Hispanic family lived to one side of us and a former farmer lived on the other side. There was an alley in the back and the houses on the other side of the alley also had a chicken or two, plus non stop barking dogs in some backyards.

Fortunately and unfortunately, today, we (friends and I) are all grown up and have our own families and are somewhat successful and are now in another tax bracket or two. We've upped and moved to the "other" side of town. With all that, comes a different mentality and lifestyle. No more chickens in the backyard. No more birds flying around. No place to raise birds. No next generation, maybe.

Fortunately or unfortunately...again, for my 2 young sons, I am not a conformer to my environment. I still have pigeons in the backyard and have raised young chicks there until they were old enough to sell or eat. Yes, I eat chickens. That's my background.

In my family, there will be a next generation. Then again, I don't race...so, do I even count? Or, am I just taking up space because I don't contribute to the sport, other than blowing of hot air in these threads and jacking up feed prices because the guys I've set up with pigeons also don't race?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rooftops and attics will do. That's done in many parts of the world where space is at a premium.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Great job! I don't know why it's so hard to get people into it. Once they try it, they will love it. I think a big part right now is the parents not supporting it. I've seen a lot of kids quite interested only to see their parents say, "We'll see..." and they never "see". Too much money/trouble to build a loft, they think they'll make too big of a mess, they think the kids will put it off on them to take care of, etc.
There is a girl a year behind me that just recently contacted me about getting into pigeons. She saw me in the newspaper with the club and sent me a message on facebook asking if that was me. Another case where she will have to talk her family into it. I invited them to the next club meeting (not the best place to get into the sport as our building makes everyone so loud and it will be confusing probably...BUT everyone will be there to talk to her and the family after/before the business is taken care of).
Y're right. Try showing them how you trap and feed the birds, that could impress a lot of people "well trained animals".

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
You will find the pigeon hobby has and is slowly going away. Young poeple find no interest in the hobby for the most part. Cities and towns have passed ordanices where one can keep pigeons. Neighborhood ordinances forbid them in many a place. Clubs have gone the way side in many a town. Parents oftewn do not support the childs wants as to pigeons. And there are many more single parent homes in todays world. The hobby will survive But on a smaller scale then it was. I have seen this hobby slowly reduce in my time And the new people today will see it reduce in theres. Many of the pigeons thogh have move highly forward in there quality thanks to the greats from the past and present. So the hobby remains strong but smaller.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You will find the pigeon hobby has and is slowly going away. Young poeple find no interest in the hobby for the most part. Cities and towns have passed ordanices where one can keep pigeons. Neighborhood ordinances forbid them in many a place. Clubs have gone the way side in many a town. Parents oftewn do not support the childs wants as to pigeons. And there are many more single parent homes in todays world. The hobby will survive But on a smaller scale then it was. I have seen this hobby slowly reduce in my time And the new people today will see it reduce in theres. Many of the pigeons thogh have move highly forward in there quality thanks to the greats from the past and present. So the hobby remains strong but smaller.
See thats not all true. I am a younger person (22) and have been into pigeons with a very close girl friend of mine for as long as I can remember.
When I was connecting with pigeon people in Phoenix and the surrounding areas they were all very excited about young girls getting into the birds.
I have passed the love onto my brother, and am always looking to talk with people my age and younger, or older, about these birds.
I own a pitbull so I know there is a stigma that comes with keeping pigeons, and I know education and teaching is the best way to get people to see how awesome these birds are.
I know in Phoenix they were trying to pass a law that stated you could only keep a small amount of birds, and Tyson fought and won and made the amount much greater than what the law was first trying to have it be.
I dont think this hobby will die at all, I know all it takes if finding one bird, hurt or something and having a kid or parent raise it and see how they arent retarded dirty things and thats how it all starts.
I refuse to let this hobby die.
I know many pigeon people who, as long as you show a genuine interest in the birds, that "glazed over crazy look" when you see their aviary and their birds flying high in the sky, they will do anything in their power to help you get your set up perfect, I know I have received some very high caliber birds for free, just because I called some pigeon guy I met online and wanted to come see his flock, it was amazing, and that moment made me want to be that guy, share that feeling with someone else and spread this hobby to people.
I never once have had to buy well bred birds. Just being a genuine person who is willing to learn helps.
I will keep passing on this love to people, I know I changed my Ex BF's mind about pigeons and doves, when his father found a diamond dove under a car half dead, just him seeing the personality in that little thing has made him want to get birds again, he had pigeons in Bosnia before he came to America..
All it takes is not giving up, and when you find that kid, or adult who has that glean in their eye, and a willingness to learn, take them in and show they all you can, because that person will be the next generation and pass it on to other people.
/ramble lol

edit: holy cow I wrote a lot!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
See thats not all true. I am a younger person (22) and have been into pigeons with a very close girl friend of mine for as long as I can remember.
When I was connecting with pigeon people in Phoenix and the surrounding areas they were all very excited about young girls getting into the birds.
I have passed the love onto my brother, and am always looking to talk with people my age and younger, or older, about these birds.
I got my first birds in 1958. And the years to fllow I found and saw many lofts People kept more pigeons. parents were not so much single. They worked with there kids. But as the years went by I saw many people leave the hobby. Several clubs go under. Areas not allowing pigeons to be kept. What used to be several to many in several cities keeping pigeons to no one keeping any Or a very small few. YES there is a few new people each year getting birds. BUT that number grows smaller And the olds ones die off or have to leave the hobby. Today we have both parents often working. Games. rap music DRUGS Gangs And laws stopping people from getting pigeons. There will still be the hobby But NEVER like it was. But As I said I sure have seen the hobby come closer to reaching the near standard in show birds. Race lofts have seen the 1 loft race get support. And money races come along more. Has the race birds improved In some ways And not in others. As old line birds did race well And seems less were getting lost in the races. And they had speeds that are just as good as todays birds.
Even in Belgium they have seen a decline in the hobby. But Its good to see younger people come into the hobby And stick with the hobby. Keeping pigeons is sure better then the many things that get young people into trouble today. But if you could see what I saw you would see the hobby sure has declined in many areas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I got my first birds in 1958. And the years to fllow I found and saw many lofts People kept more pigeons. parents were not so much single. They worked with there kids. But as the years went by I saw many people leave the hobby. Several clubs go under. Areas not allowing pigeons to be kept. What used to be several to many in several cities keeping pigeons to no one keeping any Or a very small few. YES there is a few new people each year getting birds. BUT that number grows smaller And the olds ones die off or have to leave the hobby. Today we have both parents often working. Games. rap music DRUGS Gangs And laws stopping people from getting pigeons. There will still be the hobby But NEVER like it was. But As I said I sure have seen the hobby come closer to reaching the near standard in show birds. Race lofts have seen the 1 loft race get support. And money races come along more. Has the race birds improved In some ways And not in others. As old line birds did race well And seems less were getting lost in the races. And they had speeds that are just as good as todays birds.
Even in Belgium they have seen a decline in the hobby. But Its good to see younger people come into the hobby And stick with the hobby. Keeping pigeons is sure better then the many things that get young people into trouble today. But if you could see what I saw you would see the hobby sure has declined in many areas.

That is true, it sucks and is saddening when you really think about it. I myself though dont think I could ever go without owning pigeons off and on.
I dont know how I managed to get into pigeons like I did, I had to raise my brother and sister because my mom was a drunk and always in jail, yet even when we had no water or electricity in our house, I always had my birds. It was an escape for me.
I have my xbox, have my games, done my fare share of drugs, and yet I always had my birds. I try so hard to get the idea out there and show people how awesome the birds are, personality and function wise.
It makes me sad that I dont even know the TRUE old day style pigeon hobby, I love talking with old timers about how they had huge flocks, and how the man from Iraq brought in a whole bunch of his birds that have been in his family for ages. In America I dont think the pigeon hobby is even half as awesome as what it once was, but I do like seeing people in other countries coming to America bringing their birds and showing Americans like me the real art of the pigeons and how they take such pride in their birds. I think the hobby is alive and well outside of this country. In Arizona its so cool on a nice clear morning standing on my balcony watching all the pigeon people let their birds out for the morning fly.
This is a great state to fly your birds in, big open sky.
I love the birds, ever since my first rescue I have been stuck on them. In my opinion it doesnt get better than having a nice flock of pigeons to wake up and see in the morning.
I know the birds kept me from getting to crazy and doing to many dumb things, because no one but me was going to feed and water them, hell when I got a really bad case of food poisoning one year I was out in the yard throwing up while I was cleaning cages and feeding birds lol
I understand what you mean about it declining, hearing how it was 20 or 10 years ago its so different. I cant imagine how it was in the time my great grandma was in her 20s, she used to tell me all kinds of stories about her husbands racing birds. Its sad honestly. Ill do my part though to keep it alive as best I can. I wouldnt want to lose something like this to laws and stupid ****.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fortunately or unfortunately...again, for my 2 young sons, I am not a conformer to my environment. I still have pigeons in the backyard and have raised young chicks there until they were old enough to sell or eat. Yes, I eat chickens. That's my background.

In my family, there will be a next generation. Then again, I don't race...so, do I even count? Or, am I just taking up space because I don't contribute to the sport, other than blowing of hot air in these threads and jacking up feed prices because the guys I've set up with pigeons also don't race?
Just owning and keeping the birds- and the tradition (including the tradition of eating chickens that you raised- which is so much better than eating a chicken that was raised on a factory farm..) alive makes you count! Of course you count- esp since you are bucking the status quo in your neighborhood by having chickens and pigeons. I salute you for being you, and for setting a good example for your kids.

Anyway, backyard chickens are making a huge comeback. When I got mine 8 years ago, I was "that kooky chicken lady"- now, there are 4-5 other houses within a few blocks- that I know of- that have chickens. Plus I see them in all parts of town now. People have realized what delightful little creature they are- and that the eggs are delicious. So, who knows what the future holds for pigeon people. The thrill of a "pet" that you can watch fly, and then return has a magical appeal. Like "Jonathon Livingston Seagull". :D

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Well, ever since I caught Pigeon Fever, I have been trying -unsuccessfully to pass on the addiction to others- esp the young people in my life.

My son loves animals, and loves the pigeons- but only when he doesn't have to go into the loft- he is totally grossed out by the smell (?- man, I keep that baby Clean!) of the loft, and by the thought of stepping on pigeon poop. So, he enjoys the birds, but only when I have some in the birdcage in the sun room for him to play with. So, he is my official "tamer", and he helps out with training, which is great. I hoped for more, but I gotta accept that he has his own path- and pigeon racing is probably not a part of it.

Anyway, his best friend came over yesterday after a long time of not being here due to the complexities of everyone's child custody arrangements- and that boy is Hooked! :D . Went right into the loft, wanted to know all about how the training and such works- volunteered to be at my house when I do training tosses to see who comes home first, etc etc. He was downright obsessed. Even when they were playing video games, he would stop to ask me questions about the pigeons- what is the next step in training- when will the eggs hatch (We have our first eggs-yay!) .

I am so excited because Kadyn is a good kid- like a second son to me since he has been my son's best friend since kindergarten- and now I have succeeded in passing on Pigeon Fever to him. I will likely be able to get him involved in our 4H program too- his mom is open to that, understands the value of 4H.

Other kids and adults have checked out the loft or the birds and thought it was a cool project; the neighbors- and neighborhood- is excited cuz they want to watch them loft fly- but nobody has come over and been so instantly hooked as this kid. :D I predict that I'll be helping him stock his own loft sometime in the future. I think it is one of those things where you cast a net, and only the right sized fish get caught- but if we don't cast out nets by promoting our sport and sharing it with others, we won't catch any new fish.

Our county fair went from not even having a pigeon category to having 50-60 birds on display due to the efforts of our 4H program. And it grows every year, because some of the parents of those 4H kids catch "the Fever" too. Stuff like this gets information about the sport out there where people who never even knew pigeon racing existed suddenly find themselves building a loft.
It would seem to me that you have been sucessful at passing on your interest, so why do you say you have been unsucessful ?

As far as casting nets, most will not be casting any nets, but that is ok, that has most likely been true for a very long time. Various "sports" or past times come and go and some times come back again. But like most other things in life, there is about 5% of the population that make things work, and the rest pretty much are just along for the ride. You are part of that 5 percent, and most likely you are the kind that will be a race sectretary or President of your local club, and you and a small handful of others will do 95% of the work that makes a combine possible.

Keep up the good work, maybe your example will inspire some others.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I only said unsuccessful because I hadn't passed on the fever to anyone til now. But yes, I can see how I have been a good ambassador of the sport, and all that.
I can't take any credit for the 4H program, as that was started before my time- but I am certainly a big booster of youth involvement now that I have become involved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.