Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was thinking today what would you guys consider to be some of the rarest of pigeon breeds(not color and not species like crowned pigeon). I am talking strickly domesticated offsprings of rock pigeon) Not breed that might only exist in names but breeds that people keep it would be very hard and expensive to get your hands on,

on my list is white royal snow tumblers and white crested frillbacks

·
Guardian Angel
585 Posts
I have a white crested frillback :). I saw the parlor tumblers there also not sure how they preformed though. I know its also hard to get Uzbek crack tumblers there is only a few breeders in the u.s. They sell for 150+ each.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lol I was joking about extinction - I'm sure some turned up at the grand national. There was only four or so at the entire NYBS, and I have never seen or heard of good ones anywhere else. And, of course, most folks think you are talking about the Parlor Rollers when you talk about them, so it makes finding them all that more difficult. :)

·
Banned
267 Posts
I have seen most of the birds mention below at one time or another here in the USA, And To my surprise I even seen 8 Cumulet that where being sold on Slobberknocker's auction site about a month ago... But one bird that I have never seen is The "Hague"... I have read that there are just 1 or 2 breeders in Europe that still breed the Cumulet & the Hague...

I so happen to have Articles on both birds on my website...

Louie

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
There are many rare breeds of pigeons.. now which one is the less bred one here in the US, it is hard to tell.. as overseas they may be more numbers of any one of these rare breeds..and some on the list do not seem rare at all here in the US.. I have and breed white creasted frillbacks..so they are not too rare for me..but they are a bit hard to locate.. some of the names on the list I have never even seen or heard of.. so here is the link.. try your google image and type in some of the names to see if you can get pics of them.. it is fun..

http://www.rarepigeons.net/

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
The old calumet that helped in the deveolpment of the belgium racing homers Has been gone for some time. The cross line modern calumet is still being bred But is a different bird in deed from the original group. Parler tumblers are still around and still some GOOD one. Had a friend that raised some really good ones. He got out i believe his son may still have some. IT takes certion groups of people to specialize in the many different breeds. And fads come and go. Some try a breed for a time and move on.. In part some show classes are very small. Sometimes you are the only exhibitor of the breed at a show. . Just as what the birds look like 30 years back If breeding towrds a set standard they sure improve.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Parlors aren't gone yet - still plenty of them around :) I guess you just have to know where to find them.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Lebanons. I know there are breeders here, of course, but they are still hard to find. For some reason I'm having a difficult time finding Norwich Croppers.
Another breed that is rare/uncommon here is the Hungarian (not Giant House - that's an entirely different breed). It's a type of hen pigeon, and very beautiful in my opinion! They have very distinct markings.
I have seen Flying Cumulets for sale on egg-bid. I think there might be some on there now. Not a whole lot of US breeders of those either.

Hmmmm. One breed that is either very rare or extinct, is the Dutchess. It's like a giant sized WOE or Dutch tumbler. A long muffed King, if you will. They were bred for utility purposes, but I don't think they matured quite quick enough, and the muffs weren't very practical. But they were beautiful!

Are there many Crests here anymore? I've seen VERY few pictures from shows, where Crests (mini or not) were entered. Of course it could just be that they didn't take pictures of them. I haven't been to any legit pigeon shows, just fairs and local chicken shows.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Tim , If you wants really Parlor Roller Contact Les Everett here in N.C. PH: 704-577-3905
Danny Joe
Not looking for rollers... Just Parlor Tumblers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have seen most of the birds mention below at one time or another here in the USA, And To my surprise I even seen 8 Cumulet that where being sold on Slobberknocker's auction site about a month ago... But one bird that I have never seen is The "Hague"... I have read that there are just 1 or 2 breeders in Europe that still breed the Cumulet & the Hague...

I so happen to have Articles on both birds on my website...

Louie
Cumulets:
I breed an 'fly' Cumulets since years, and I can still give you adresses of other breeders in Holland, England, Danmark, Belgium ... (the same for Dutch Hagenaars)
But OK,these become 'rare breed' in Europe too.

In the last issue of 'Feathered World' (UK) , there was a long article about Cumulets
Sunson

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I was thinking today what would you guys consider to be some of the rarest of pigeon breeds(not color and not species like crowned pigeon). I am talking strickly domesticated offsprings of rock pigeon) Not breed that might only exist in names but breeds that people keep it would be very hard and expensive to get your hands on,

on my list is white royal snow tumblers and white crested frillbacks
Hi Romanallover, We have a RARE BREEDS CLUB and their web site has a listing of rare breeds. www.rarepigeons.net We also have a member of Pigeon Talk that is the sectary of that club (newsday or newday) . The list is very long of the rare breeds I ask all who post here to look at this web site and if intrested join us in trying to save some of these rare breeds. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
In the first half of the 19th century, the Antwerp CUMULET was crossbred to the Smerle of Liège and the English Dragon in order to 'create' the <Belgian Racing Homer> (as one can read in Tegetmeier, 1868/1871)). The flying Cumulets I 'fly' today are quite identical in shape to the birds shown on the nice engraving by LUDLOW in 1898 (can be seen on the website of DHF Lofts). Sunson.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts