Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The house next door has the most amazing pigeon loft ever built. It sits empty -- the current owners are not into pigeons -- and is on the verge of being torn town, possibly as soon as next week (the week of July 25th).

My neighbor and I have talked about it, and I asked if I could post a "FREE TO HOME" notice here, and he thought that would be a great idea. So here it is!

If you can transport it, it's yours for the taking.

It's 80' long and is located just outside Denver, Colorado. The roof has translucent "skylight" panels. The floor is elevated (at top-of-cinder-block level) and is made of grates. There is electricity throughout. The guy who put it there spared no expense and it seems like a really sturdy structure.

If you are seriously interested (or know someone who is), let me know here ASAP and I'll put you in touch with my neighbor.

Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Beautiful! Wish I lived in Colorado. C.hert, aren't you in Colorado?i would think someone could be located who would want that great lift. Maybe even a nonprofit?

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Really appreciate the notification on this cwebster and it is a very nice loft but it would be expensive to move and the bottom is made of cinder block as well. Do not know if that would be a problem as well as the price of moving the thing to where???? I have seen a few of these old lofts and it makes one sad when you see them tore down especially the older ones like the world war ones but that's life. I would like to know where is it in Colorado if someone could find out that information for me especially the poster..Thank you so much for the information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Do not know if that would be a problem as well as the price of moving the thing to where???? ... I would like to know where is it in Colorado if someone could find out that information for me especially the poster..Thank you so much for the information.
Yes, there would be some (possibly significant) cost to splitting the structure in two -- that's how it was built, I'm told -- and transporting it. That's why it's being offered for free. It is located in Arvada, a suburb just northwest of Denver proper.

The property owner would prefer that it be reused as a pigeon loft. Being only 10 feet wide and having few solid walls or doors inside, there's not much else it could be used for, actually. If no one takes it, Habitat For Humanity has already been called and the Deconstruction Manager has taken a look at it, and they will probably cannibalize much of the structure, leaving a few fewer roll-off dumpsters worth of material for the demolition crew to deal with.

Thanks for your interest!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thank you so much for your feedback about the structure. I figure the same way that one could cannibalize the materials and be better off especially since they would have to follow that design "if they cut it in half and moved it". ..I rather design my own and if I ever move in the future to where i have more land and privacy--that would be the plan to design my own. Sure do appreciate the notice cwebster and the feedback Skunkwhisperer especially in thinking about me who lives in Colorado and Arvada is right next door to me and not far away....Appreciate...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all who have responded to my post here. If you know anyone who is likely to have the need and ability to use this pigeon loft, please spread the word. Otherwise, well, at least we tried, right? :)

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
Please keep spreading the word! I have loft envy now. :) did you contact all the local,pigeon clubs? Someone could instead raise chickens and have eggs for life. I hope somebody wants it. Could the current owners just rent it out to,people for something...a greenhouse? Clubhouse? Am just brainstorming. Or it could serve as storage. Or a museum or local visitors spot for unique architecture. A playhouse for grandkids. Or a daycare center. Or gym. Steam cleaning and you could repurpose it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... did you contact all the local,pigeon clubs? Someone could instead raise chickens and have eggs for life. I hope somebody wants it. Could the current owners just rent it out to,people for something...a greenhouse? Clubhouse? Am just brainstorming. Or it could serve as storage. Or a museum or local visitors spot for unique architecture. A playhouse for grandkids. Or a daycare center. Or gym. Steam cleaning and you could repurpose it.

You have some great ideas. I don't know how to find pigeon clubs, but I hoped someone would see my post here. Thing is, it's not worth working all that hard to find someone to move it when a demolition crew can raze it in two days. Believe me, the folks who own it have thought about all sort of ways to use it...lap pool, single-lane bowling alley, you name it. But they aren't farmers, and they just want peace and quiet and a nice place to call home, and this gargantuan loft just blocks their view of the sunset and doesn't add anything to the property. You're right, though..it would be an amazing facility for chickens, and your other ideas were good, too. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts