Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I highly suggest you keep the birds locked up longer. That is less than a week. There is a good chance they will not go back in. I hope they do though, good luck.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
adamant,

Not on initial training. Your goal at that point is not to scare the bird. If you are lucky that bird should come back tomorrow. Having 3 hours on the roof is a good sign though. They are memorizing the place. When you make food call, they should come down right away. If not, that particular training was not yet accomplished so can't release the bird yet. Anyhow I wish you luck. I was able to resettle young birds in 6 days, but that was risky. I usually only release them until the fourth week with each week having a different training. Some birds are smarter than others and they learn fast. Those I can resettle fast.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Bad move on the tennis ball but I'm glad he came back. You actually have a bird that wants to stick around. You have to be patient when training young birds. They can easily get freaked out and never return.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
just before dark i throw a tennis ball on the roof to get him off ... he took off ... big mistake.. should have left him alone..
You really should never throw things at your birds and if you do, don't let them see you. Now, sometimes, I'll get a bird or two or three....LOL....on the BACK of the loft and I can't see them. I'll throw a stick just to scare them to the front of the loft, but I never let them SEE me throw things at them. You are supposed to be the one they trust. ;)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
You really should never throw things at your birds and if you do, don't let them see you. Now, sometimes, I'll get a bird or two or three....LOL....on the BACK of the loft and I can't see them. I'll throw a stick just to scare them to the front of the loft, but I never let them SEE me throw things at them. You are supposed to be the one they trust. ;)
Is this why we catch them in the dark, to put them in crates and haul them away? LOL My birds trust that I will feed and water them, other then that, they want me to mind my own business.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Congrats on the bird's return. It was expected. What you will notice is that pigeons have good memories and they can remember what "dirty" things you have done for weeks or even a month!

Hopefully that bird will trap soon. For now stay away and let the bird enters freely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts