Pigeon-Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt I'll ever be able to get a picture of this. We have had a pair of homing pigeons named Holly and Augusta for about 5 years and they have been a couple for most of that time. Both, particularly Augusta, were very sick when we took them in. They love to sit a nest and helped to raise some of the CHB's that we had a year or so ago.

What is so cute is that many mornings when Lewis is changing their water and putting fresh seed in, Holly, the male, will not eat. Instead, he takes that time to go around to all the other nests and pick out the choice pieces of nesting material and runs back with them to their nest.

He sure makes a cute little thief.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
How funny. I have a couple of thieves here too. They are so cute when they do that.
Sometimes they get cought and boy do they run.:D
Reti

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
That's lovely, Maggie :)

Our poor Chickpea, who is a lone hen who likes to sit in a nest which I often help her to build :) , gets her twigs stolen by Gurdy who lives next door to her.

John

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That is so funny. I got a pretty good mental picture of it and am smiling. :D "Thank you, I'll take THAT, and THAT'S MINE, and THIS will make the PERFECT NEST, and THIS is MINE, and THIS ONE."

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I doubt I'll ever be able to get a picture of this. We have had a pair of homing pigeons named Holly and Augusta for about 5 years and they have been a couple for most of that time. Both, particularly Augusta, were very sick when we took them in. They love to sit a nest and helped to raise some of the CHB's that we had a year or so ago.

What is so cute is that many mornings when Lewis is changing their water and putting fresh seed in, Holly, the male, will not eat. Instead, he takes that time to go around to all the other nests and pick out the choice pieces of nesting material and runs back with them to their nest.

He sure makes a cute little thief.
My birds do that too. While we had our YB's this year, with 32 nest boxes, there was one pair that INSISTED on nesting on the floor in the corner. The other birds were constantly going over and grabbing pine needles out of the nest and taking it to their nest. The poor cock that the floor nest belonged to, would then spend most of the day taking MORE pine needles to the hen so she could replace what was being stolen. I kept a dowled box full of pine needles all the time, but I guess the ones in the nest bowl looked more appealing for some reason. At least it kept them busy!! LOL

·
Registered
765 Posts
Too cute Maggie!! :D

I have the job of picking 'prime' nesting pieces for Jax's nest. Some I personally hand to her, and others I scatter about the room for her to find and rearrange how she likes them. If I forget to provide nesting material for her, she will try to pull the elastic off my rucksack, window blind strings etc.

Lindi :)

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the same couple that I have mentioned before being so loving to each other. When either of them take a piece of nesting material to the one on the nest, they lay it on the mate's back and then touch beaks - just like kissing. They are really nice, gentle little guys and we're happy to have them in our family.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Holly is so cute!

Wouldn't the other birds pick a fight with him for daring to take their nesting materials right under their noses? :p

Suzanna

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Some of 'mine' have been 'Stealing' my Ball Point Pens and Match Books, and always when I have stepped away from my desk, or am out on errands, and I can not find a Pen or book of Matches...and I go look, and,a particular glowing Hen is sitting with them tucked amid the assorted other things they have for their Nesting materials.

This being like three or four Pens, and likewise Match Books ( I am pretty sure her mate is the one doing it...and she acepts the items I am sure with flattering encouragements for him to keep doing more of it...)

So, when they are off eating ( like with your's Maggie, ) I 'steal' a Pen or Match book 'back'...they have no Eggs, even though she has been 'sitting' quite a bit...but likely some eggs are winding down the chute for their debut sometime soon.

So, these items go back and forth now...or at least ONE Pen and ONE Book of Matches, which is enough for me to get by...and, if I need more, I know where to find them!

Phil
l v

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.