Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my lovley revrswing pouter hen she is a bout 5 years old now when she laid her eggs they were too thin and she crushed them what i am supose to give her to be good shell eggs a im a bit upset a bout it ..........any recommanded treatment please ? and what the longest age expected for pigeon to lay eggs is she old pigeon now?:(

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
my lovley revrswing pouter hen she is a bout 5 years old now when she laid her eggs they were too thin and she crushed them what i am supose to give her to be good shell eggs a im a bit upset a bout it ..........any recommanded treatment please ? and what the longest age expected for pigeon to lay eggs is she old pigeon now?:(
She shouldn't be too old. Are you providing the red grit? Crushed oyster shell would be good to. She needs calcium.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Hens definitely need calcium in their diet for strong egg shells as well as vitamin D for their system to utilize the calcium. If she doesn't get lots of sunshine, be sure to give her a good vitamin supplement two or three times a week.

Another possibility, especially since she is 5 years old, is that she might have an infection in her egg canal, impacting the gland that lays down the shell.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
We have a hen who started laying eggs with poor shells, even without shells. Found that a liquid calcium supplement, given directly rather than in the drnking water, helped. Foys, Siegels or other pigeon supply place would stock it. All our birds have access to plenty of good grit, but it would seem that some hens may need something extra.

John

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if she might has infection in her egg canal what am i suposed to give her? and some people that told me if the pigeon especially the pouters turns 6 years old u shoud get rid of it because too old is that true?

·
Registered
499 Posts
old bird/weak eggs

my mating pair are going on 6 yr.not one bad/weak egg yet and i feed them pigeon grit,with their regular pigeon mix-(with popcorn),and kaytee-wild bird food,,maybe make the nest on a sponge,perhaps then weight won,t be an issue,..sincerely james waller

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.