Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors raise pigeons. There is one that is crippled, i suspect splayed leg. Only one leg is splayed, but the pigeon (hes a bald headed roller if that matters) can't fly...yet. I think he is a few months old, and i doubt treatment would be possible. They will kill and eat him (i don't know why they would eat pigeon :confused: ) but said i can have him if i want. I would have to ask my mom first, but i'm thinking I could convince her. Do you think i should get him and let him live out his days with me? Or would it be more humane for him to be killed? I could get a hold of a cage, and can get food and grit.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think you should adopt him or her.

It is not fair for the poor creature to be killed for something he has no control over and splayed leg still may be able to be corrected (???- I would wait to see what the more experienced say though about that).

Adopt him and you will have a friend for life! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have helped splayed leg before. Put a couple of snap on bands or split bands on the bird and tie his legs together about where they should be. It does correct itself after about a month. They are a little clumsy the first couple of days but adjust.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
If you live in New Jersey, by philadelphia, I can help you with a cage, food and whatever else you need to help this bird. I can't believe they would eat a pet. Amazing, and AWFUL. Please get him and save him. If your need help convinencing your mom, have her come on her and read your thread. I don't think there will be one person on her that will say let them eat the pigeon. If there is, they shouldn't be on this forum. I have found many cages in the trash, garage sales, good will stores, craigs list. Put an ad on there and tell them your story and say you need a cage to help this poor bird. I would hope someone would respond, I know I would. Please keep us posted. I'm curious, because I'm always curious on why people pick there usernames. Do you have Rats as pets. I had what you called Fancy Rats and honestly, they were some of the best pets I've ever had. Loved them. My dog loved watching them all day long. Tell us where you live and maybe another member can help you out if they are near you. mindy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm worried that fixing his leg would be too painful though, and his bones may already be grown that way... I'm thinking it would be best for him to stay the way he is, even though he can't properly clean himself or perch very well. But i don't really have experience with this, just some online research! He can eat and drink on his own though.

What size cage would be best? I can get a very large cage from a friend but if i got that cage i would have it outside, and i don't think it would be warm enough for him. I have a smaller rabbit-ish cage but i'm not sure that's big enough. Otherwise i may be able to buy a cage off of the neighbors. I can probably get food and grit from my feedstore/neighbor.

If i do get him, should i get another bird with him?

Yes, i do have rats. Definitely the best rodents i've had! *loves her rattums*

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I would keep him in the smaller rabbit cage in your bedroom or where your going to be most of the time so he can have some interaction with you. You still don't say where you live so I'm assuming it gets cold there in the winter so I wouldn't keep him outside. As long as he gets some exercise outside of the cage I think he will be fine. They also make a pigeon diaper you can buy on line if poop becomes a problem. Unless you know what your doing I wouldn't mess with the legs either. Now if someone does know what they are doing then I would say then try. But I wouldn't do it and since your so young, unless you can find someone that has done it before then I would let the legs be. After you get the pigeon you can post a picture on here and maybe someone can help you from that point on.

When i had my rats I had a problem with them hiding there food, and then there cage started smelling so then I started giving them baby food so they couldn't just pick it up and hide it. They had to sit at the food bowl and lick away. Pretty smart don't ya think? I also gave them the 4" pvc white pipe and made them tunnels through there cage and they loved it. Did you know they can eat a golf ball, they are amazing. mindy

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The dog crates would work just fine also. I just wouldn't keep him outside except maybe for a few hours on nice days.

My cats caught a mouse, a baby mouse so I put her in an aquirium and yesterday it was hardly moving, I thought it was going to die, so today I gave it a heating pad and it sprung back to life and is moving like crazy. I didn't know they couldn't handle temperatures around 55-60 degrees. Anyway, I'm going to keep it until spring and let it go outside. mindy

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know much about splayed leg but I can/will contact the wildlife rehab director I work for and see what she recommends as far as the splayed leg goes, if you are interested.

As far as the cage goes, I have seen some amazing pictures of "pigeon palaces" that people on this forum have created using a dog crate. If you browse the forum I am sure you will find many pictures of them.

I also live near Philidelphia/New Jersey and would be willing to help out or provide any assistance if needed. BTW, I do have a 10 lb. bag of pigeon grit that I recently purchased at Foy's (that was the smallest size I could get even though I only have 1 pigeon :)) that I would be willing to send you if you can not find it at any local suppliers (I couldn't).

Lastly, I had 3 jumbo male rats as well and they were AMAZING. Such great smart animals! Like pigeons, I think that rats have an unfortunate reputation . It is always nice to meet another who loves rats too :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm in WI, so it does get pretty cold. I also have a very large rabbit cage, fitted with wire mesh (it was supposed to be for my rats after introductions, but they won't get along!), that cage should work quite well. He usually holds the poops until i set him down. *i dont have him, i just go over there a lot* And even if he poops, so what? Just wipe it up with a washcloth.

My rats hide their food, but i just leave it and let fill their food when i know that don't have any hidden lol. My rats prefer their hammocks to tunnels and other toys :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yes, WI does get really cold, so I would at least keep him inside for the winter months, and I love you thinking, just clean the poop up. Your right its that simple. Your rats are inside aren't they?
Stanleypidge09 your right, rats do get a bad rap. Of course I don't think I would want a sewer rat as a pet, but I've never had to make that decision but knowing myself I probably would. I had mine over 15 years ago, I don't think I even heard of a hamock for rats back then. But I have seen them now for ferrets mostly. I didn't know rats would like them.
The rat chick, you sound like a great kid that loves animals and you can never go wrong with loving animals. Keep up the good work. I hope you get the pigeon. It sounds like you already love him. You will regret it if they end up eating it so go get it and bring it home, tell you mom that it is your christmas present.

Like I said before the smaller cage will work as long as he has some time outside of his cage. Can he fly? If he fly's he needs to have a couple hours everyday of flying around a safe room. mindy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll probably keep him inside even in the summer, expect for a few hours during the day on warm days :) I'm at my dads, but I shall attempt to convince my mom tomorrow, and hopefully get Jimmy then (we named him after the cripple on south park rofl). Anyways, it should be awhile before the neighbor decides to eat him... I shall update you guys tomorrow on the situation.

My rats are inside, they are spoiled ratten(lol) and i would feel so guilty leaving any animal outside, especially ones that aren't very cold-tolerant (rats). Most rats looooove their hammiks! Quite a nice place to nap!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I adopted a splayed leg pigeon from a family that lovingly hand raised him for 2 years in August. "Peepers" is a wonderful bird with a lot personality. We've built extra wide perches for him in the aviary, he does fine. Although walking is a little awkward, he can fly to his perch, and he's made friends with my other pigeons. Hope your mom lets you keep him!
I used to have rats as pets some years ago, and I also agree, they make wonderful pets.
They're clean, smart, and interesting. Like pigeons, they've gotten a bad rap.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I didn't think you would have rats outside in WI, I don't think they can handle the cold. I can't wait until tomorrow when you find out about when jimmy can come home. Can't wait for pictures also. Even the rats would be nice. mindy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I can get him! My mom doesn't really care what animals i get, as long as i care for them. I won't be getting him for a little while, as i need to visit my feed store and pick up some food, bowls, and grit. I told my friend to tell the neighbor (the neighbors are her grandparents, rather confusing) not to eat him, so he should be safe for a while...
Jimmy cant fly yet, but i'm guessing he should eventually learn to. He was born sometime over the summer. I plan on just giving him the large modified rabbit cage, as it has plenty of floorspace. I'm thinking of using newspaper, is that okay? I can use aspen but that would get pretty expensive, I'm already using it for the rats. And i'm guessing it will take a little while to tame him... He doesn't peck or anything (never met a pigeon that pecked me) but he isn't comfortable with humans.

P.S. I'm not sure if he is a he or a she... Is there an easy way to find out or should i assume :p

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That is great, I can send you some food and grit to get you started. Just pm me your address so this way you can get him quicker. Yes, just use newspaper, and make a little nest of an old towel or old clothing since he probably doesn't perch. Unless pigeon are hand raised they aren't people friendly. But with time he will get use to you. It doesn't hurt that bad when you get pecked. Glad your getting him. I can get the package ready tonight and mail it tomorrow. mindy]\

To pm just click my name above and I think its the second line down, to send a personal message. click on that and write. If you have trouble let me know on here.

You may be able to tell when they get older, but its really hard to tell when they are young. Make sure you get a water dish that is deep, like 2" deep.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My rats are inside, they are spoiled ratten(lol) and i would feel so guilty leaving any animal outside, especially ones that aren't very cold-tolerant (rats). Most rats looooove their hammiks! Quite a nice place to nap!

First off I think you should also take in the bird...
The legs may be able to be fixed, and I think trying one of the ideas to correct it would be a good idea. If you cxould possibly offer full leg movement...try it if it doesn't work..then you'll love it the way it is.

I also have rats...a large variety of type (Dumbo,Rex,Double Rex, Hairless) and colors. They are awesome pets!

Hilly

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went out and got some food (dove mix, as the pigeon stuff was in rather large amounts. The protein amount is 13%, this is good, right?) and some grit, and some bowls. Do you think he will tip over his water bowl? I have some deep bowls but they aren't spill proof...

I'm going to try and get him really soon...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I use a ceramic dog bowl so it can't be tipped over. I really didn't mind sending you anything you need. I can send you some oyster shells, because if you bought a 50 pound bag it would last you 4 life times and I don't think it comes in any smaller bag. Or maybe they can just give you a cup full. That would last you awhile. But if you need anything, I'll be happy to send it to you. No charge. I just know when I was young, I wanted so many animals and my mom and dad always said you don't have money for the food and they would leave it at that. So thats why I don't mind, because I would have loved to have the internet back in the 70's when I was young and maybe people would have helped me. I can send you some pellets also that you can add to the seed mixture. Because that also only comes in 50 pound bags. I send allot of pellets out to starling owners because 50 pounds would last a lifetime if you only had starlings. I don't want to push the issue so if you want me to, great. You can private message me your address, if you don't want me to thats okay also. I just always try to help any young person when they show such a interest in loving animals and caring for them. Its my way of paying it forward. I hope you get jimmy soon, the sooner the better, it is getting cold out there, plus maybe if you get him sooner you can help his legs. mindy

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I went out and got some food (dove mix, as the pigeon stuff was in rather large amounts. The protein amount is 13%, this is good, right?) and some grit, and some bowls. Do you think he will tip over his water bowl? I have some deep bowls but they aren't spill proof...

I'm going to try and get him really soon...
The dove mix is ok, you can add some split peas, lentils and barley from the grocery store to it. My birds love that.
They do tend to tipp over their bowls. Maybe you can look around in the dollar store and find some heavy ceramic bowls.

Reti

1 - 20 of 134 Posts