Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody pulled a fast one on me and laid a third egg in the nest. Not sure how this happened. I candled the eggs and two of them look about the same size embryo, one of them is slightly larger, definately to late to remove one, so will i need to hand feed one? the first two are due on the 12th, i dont know about the third:confused:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would let them raise all three at this point, you could buy some hand rearing formula to have on hand in case you need to suppliment the third one or the smallest one at some point, but leave it in the nest. or you may not have to. it is not the best to have three but alot of people have let their pairs do this with no problems, it just depends on the pair and how good of parents they are.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on leaving it in the nest for sure, i will see how they do with three then and make sure they are all getting fed. hopefully they are good parents and i wont need to help them.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont think they are to far apart by looking at them, we will see! when the time comes i know everybody will be here to help if needed!!

G

·
I dont think they are to far apart by looking at them, we will see! when the time comes i know everybody will be here to help if needed!!
my only point was 2 days in baby pigeons is a huge difference in size, so they might trample it and will beat it in the competition for food so yes please do keep an eye on it when it hatches;)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will definately keep you all updated on the situation, I am hoping it all turns out well, we will know in a few more days.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the eggs are due to hatch on saturday the 12th, hopefully they all hatch close to the same time. Candled them again today, one of the eggs definately has a smaller embryo than the other 2.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The cock of these eggs is a phenominal roller, 30-40' spins, high hopes for the babies!!!

G

·
kk ;) keep yourself ready for that 3rd one to hatch then... the longer time it hatches away from the others the more reason your going to need to interviene
:eek:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am hoping for the best case scenario that the parents can handle them, but murphys law is bound to kick in im sure!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can suppliment the small one right from the nest, unless it is not doing very well and getting trampled.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts