Pigeon-Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Jonathan,

Myriam has had pigeons from Paris and is familiar with the procedures, I hope she can help but I suspect that like me she could only offer a home with all the other pigeons.

Although I would like to help I think bringing him to the UK would be a no-go. For a start bringing a pet bird in the UK is difficult, you can't bring one in to transfer to another person. You can't bring non-racing pigeons in as pet birds, they are classified as poultry: http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/int-trde/imports/iins/birds/a11.htm And stray racing pigeons returned to this country have to spend 31 days in quarantine.

But my main fear is that if he is examined or tested, which he is likely to be if he enters or tries to enter the UK as poultry or pet, they will see the PMV symptoms, find antibodies and would put him down.:( PMV is a notifiable disease here and I doubt that they would check to confirm that he is not still shedding the virus.

Les (A Wing and a Prayer) has been dreaming of moving to France and having an aviary for non-releasable pigeons, but nothing has been decided yet. If you decide to keep him but your circumstances change keep an eye on this forum.

Pigifan managed to move 20 pigeons, all handicapped in some way and I suspect some PMV recoveries from the UK to Greece without being challenged along the way, so movement of birds on the continent appears to be easier.

One rescue pigeon on this forum (Piu Piu) was trained to poop only on top of his cage. I haven't been able to find the post that explained how this was done, but Terry adopted him and might remember the original owner's user name.
Cynthia

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Phil, Mr. Squeaks, Cyro...thanks for your input, anecdotes, support and fellowship :)

At present, I'm making out just fine with the little guy (I do have lots of other names for him, but none are printable). The hope (or illusion) of being able to find workarounds has made me feel better about the whole situation, as has the realization of how attached I really am to him.

Is he a 'he'? I don't really know, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if he actually turns out to be a she. Quite frankly, I'm not sure they even know themselves: for several years, I had a couple living on one end of my window-sill. There was the big guy - whom I took to be the male, and a smaller partner, who... . Anyway - and I watched this routine go on for months - when they both had eaten the treats I used to leave for both of them to their fill, the big guy would make the appropriate courting noises and gestures and jump the bones of his partner.

Until the day when - as I watched in fascination and amazement - the smaller one started clucking and bowing and suddenly rushed and mounted the one that I had presumed to be the dominant male. I saw this happen once, twice, and as the days passed, again and again, until I finally gave up trying to understand which one was the male and which the female.

As I say, I'm not sure they even knew themselves, but what was sure was that they really seemed to be enjoying themselves out there. I began wondering if they weren't some sort of gay pigeon couple - or if such things even existed.

At present - right now, in fact - they're still out there, snuggled up against each other: two little feathery pervs in the Paris night... I stopped watching who was shagging who long ago. Like believing in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy, some times you just have face reality, get over your lost illusions, and move on....

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Once again, I am howling with laughter! Yes, same sexes do get together, although I would think that being "wild," you would have a male AND female. IF an egg is laid, you will KNOW that at least one IS a hen. Usually the male sits during the day and hen at night. Then, again, maybe they just like jumping each other! Hey, fun is fun, even in the pijie world!

One of our members, JerseyGeorge, wrote a humorous thread about his "Homo Bros." He had 1 hen among the males and was not planning on any more hens. These two males, Fuzzy and Baby, would start a nest and also fight with each other. To prevent this, he would take one to work with him. As far as I know, they are still at it!

So your poor pij has no name? Does he/she come to "Hey You?" :rolleyes: I'm sure a name could be found that would fit a male or female and even be close to "cussin'!" With your writing skills, shouldn't be too hard...:D

Shi
& Squeaks (who wants to let you know that HE doesn't always go by his name!) :rolleyes:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts