Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my birds got sick (I think with canker,but along with those usual sick symptoms it couldnt fly at all and it could barley walk) so I treated it and the bird seemed to be acting fine/healthy but 3 days later I went to let it with the other birds and it crash landed on its chest. When it tries to walk it stumbles on both legs and cant keep stable.Whats wrong with it?

P.S

Im not flying my birds right now so I dont see how it could be broken legs.
(it can stand regularly though)

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
What symptoms did it have that made you decide it had canker?

This later problem could be various things ... a bad infestation of worms could ground a bird, as could E.coli or Salmonella infection for example.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
How long did you treat it for canker, and what did you use?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This doesn't sound like a broken leg, to me, it sounds like a bacterial infection. Bring the bird inside and put it on heat (heating pad set on low, and covered with a towel) -- keep it quarantined from the others.

There are several bacterial infections that can cause leg symptoms as well as mucus (E Coli, Salmonella, Chlamydia, others.)-- what do its droppings look like? Do they have a smell? How is its breathing now?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Yes it does sound like something that might be bacterial. I was just wondering what he treated it with and for how long.
What medications do you have?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
His condition has worsened: watery poop, loss of appetite,lobster-back look, Though I got him to eat peanuts with vitamins on them. Today I noticed a cut on his wing,(not too big) could it be an infection? Will the peanuts in his belly help?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
That sounds bad -- and yes, it could definitely be an infection. Do you have him on a heat source?

I'd suggest switching to a different antibiotic -- Baytril or Clavamox are both good for predator-borne infections. Can you post a picture of the wound? Sometimes if there is one wound, there are others, and they can be really easy to miss if they are hidden under the feathers.

I'd suggest you put the bird on Baytril, personally, since this sounds a bit like E Coli.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
You might also want to hand feed him defrosted peas, if he isn't eating enough -- peanuts are a bit hard to digest, and peas are a lot easier on the digestive system.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok, he has a full crop today but his poops are still really watery and he moves his head in a wierd way during and after eating(kind of jerky). Should I keep up with the medication or should I just ride it out and keep him full and clean? He is in a warm room but I dont have a heat pad. Ill try to order some medicine soon.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You can't just keep feeding a pigeon. You have to wait til his crop empties before you feed again. If he is twitching his head, he may have canker in his throat, or some other blockage. What have you been feeding him and how much, how often?
He may very well die, as you weren't prepared for this. You said you would try to get meds soon. If you own birds, you need to have some basic meds on hand, just in case you might need them. And you're right, the clinics aren't open now, but he's been sick for a week or so.
You need to maybe come on here more often to try and learn more about the care of your birds. You would have known better than to stuff him with peanuts, when he is sick. It really does pay to learn as much as you can before you need the information, so that you are more prepared. Don't know how to help you. Trying to be prepared helps a lot.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts