Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it has been a long time and a lot has happend.I have quite the flock now at my parents house but saddly i am living in Salem 2hrs from them. 2days ago while visiting I found a dead mother who must have died the night before or that moring. both of her sqabs were on the ground with empty pouchs. In the other pen i found to more sqabs that were little better then skin covered bones, one of the little ones did not make it passed the hr that i found it. So when I left that night i left with the 3 lil ones and now am the nursemaid to the hungry lil ones. Two of them are burmingham rollers and one is a cross of westy and homming (not a sanctiond breeding).
So i am just looking for hints on good things to feed the lil ones so they wil bulk up a bit.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can find it at most pet stores. If you can't find any in Salem, I have some.
Remember to keep the babies warm with a heating pad set on low. Cover them with a down vest...feather duster which you might be able to find at a dollar store or even a hand towel. Only feed when the crop has emptied.
Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to get some pictures up soon, just moved in so everthing is at sorts. right now i have the 3 of them in a laundry basket with 2 towls under/around and 2 on top of them. plus the apartment is being kept warmer. Some times they get a little warm and come up on top of the towls. i rotate the towls at feeding so they are in a clean and warm place. i am using an exact formula for the feeding at this time. they seem too be doing really quite well, if not a bit vocal when awake.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Hi Bud,

If they are 8 to 14 days old, and seem to be digesting the 'formula' alright and are making decent poops, you could move on to the 'Shot Glass Seed Gobble' which I just posted about in this same Catagory of General Discussions...but for this younger range, have the Seeds in Water or K-T 'gravey'...if 2 weeks or older, have te Seeds 'dry'...generally, for either, one has to keep one's finger tips on the sides of their Beaks or they will not eat or drink.

Any Water or Seeds-in-Water or in 'gravey' needs to be closeto but below bod temperature or they will not accept it.

'Canker' can start up in youngsters who have been deprived, so be on the look out for any hints of it...such as, if the White Urates go 'yellowish' and or go into being like white 'paint' instead of 'paste'...

Good luck..!

Phil
l v

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I'm most worried about what caused the death of one of the hens and why the other two weren't being fed by the parents.
I suspect you have some illness in your flock unless no one at your home has taken responsibility to feed and water them regularily or though another family member was, you know... a mix up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there may have been a watering problem or the like because i checked all the other yungsters and they are all doing ok if not a dehydrated. though they were not all skin and bones like the 2 abandond ones. I have the feeling it may have been a first time mom that they belonged to. The babies from the dead hen are healthy just hungry. I have also implimented an all egg pull rule at this time. i dont want any more babies being born untill i have my own loft and can have better control on the paring and over watch on the care of them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why would you be conserned? is it the feather loss look? i think he got to dehydrated/warm and had a bit of loss there. his dead sibling was, of course, worse. He is definitallly the most active of the three and talkitive. Though he is always looking/asking for food. everytime i walk by the basket he crys for ffod though his pouch is full. lol he is also a bit of a cudler, loves to be close.

on another note do any of you know what makes a good indoor cage for pigeons. it of course needs to be big. i was thinking of using a modified three story ferret cage.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
why would you be conserned? is it the feather loss look? i think he got to dehydrated/warm and had a bit of loss there. his dead sibling was, of course, worse. He is definitallly the most active of the three and talkitive. Though he is always looking/asking for food. everytime i walk by the basket he crys for ffod though his pouch is full. lol he is also a bit of a cudler, loves to be close.

on another note do any of you know what makes a good indoor cage for pigeons. it of course needs to be big. i was thinking of using a modified three story ferret cage.
yes, that's what I was referring to. That's a classic sign of canker. Just keep an eye out I guess. They are cute babies.
The ferret cage sounds perfect. Pigeons need to be in cages that are longer as opposed to taller.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is there a way to treat him for it as a precosinary or could that cause more harm then good. i checked all of their throats and they all look good at this time.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
They are absolutely precious. I know you will take excellent care of them.
I do share Renee's concern about the dark one and canker. I remember that you have had canker in your loft this time last year and I would highly recommend treating them all via the water.
When you have your family remove the eggs, please have them replace them with wooden eggs or plastic one so the couple will go through their cycle. It's really physically bad for the hen to lay egg after egg without a break. You probably can find pretend eggs at a craft store and they are really inexpensive or they can be ordered from all the pigeon supply places.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
is there a way to treat him for it as a precosinary or could that cause more harm then good. i checked all of their throats and they all look good at this time.
Canker can be visable or internal which is not visable. If you call me or email me your adress in Salem, I will send you some medicine. You are also wecome to come up here to get it or I can meet you half way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i will have my father check and see if we have any of the canker medice left for the water, if not i will have some delivered to him. i will also have my father use the wood eggs we have for birth control : ). i look forward to meeting you Charis and thank you so much for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts