Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cock disappeared 1 day after the hen laid the 2nd egg, the hen would not sit on the eggs and mated with another cock. In the mean time, I put the eggs in the fridge. Now she has laid 2 more eggs and I have put one of her previous eggs in the nest.

The question is, would she be able to handle all 3 and/or am I putting the new eggs at risk by overlading her? The question is not if the previous eggs is fertile.

Has anyone done this before? Thanks very much in advance.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
No she can not handle all three eggs. She is going to have a hard time feeding two babies by herself as it is. But a mated couple should only have 2 babies. You would be putting all the babies in jeopardy by giving them 3. I'm not for sure, but the eggs that you put in the fridge, I don't think they will be able to produce a baby anymore. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so. Why do you want so many babies all at once? min

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
No she can not handle all three eggs. She is going to have a hard time feeding two babies by herself as it is. But a mated couple should only have 2 babies. You would be putting all the babies in jeopardy by giving them 3. I'm not for sure, but the eggs that you put in the fridge, I don't think they will be able to produce a baby anymore. I could be wrong on this, but I don't think so. Why do you want so many babies all at once? min
You got me abit confused. She said the hen has remated and wouldnt be alone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply Mindy. The hen has a new mate, would he not assist her? Would their body be able to cover all 3 egg so they hatch? A pair can not handle 3 eggs/babies?

This is my 1st time with the pigeons, I did not want to waste the egg(s), but do not want to take any risk with the new eggs either. I will take out the previous (3rd) egg if the other egg are at risk of getting the necessary attention, heat, etc.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Kobra, 2 points on the same:

1) A refrigerated egg may not hatch at all, for how many days did you keep it in the fridge ?

2) Incubating three eggs may not be a problem but raising 3 healthy squabs by a pair of adult pigeon is indeed a task and may not result in good. The average quantity of pigeon milk which is formed in the crop is most of the time almost right amount for two squabs, by introducing the third egg you risk all three squabs to be fed lesser amount and care. It will become tougher when the squabs are 8 - 16 days time frame.

I suggest you give a second thought on the same.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
The cock disappeared 1 day after the hen laid the 2nd egg, the hen would not sit on the eggs and mated with another cock. In the mean time, I put the eggs in the fridge. Now she has laid 2 more eggs and I have put one of her previous eggs in the nest.

The question is, would she be able to handle all 3 and/or am I putting the new eggs at risk by overlading her? The question is not if the previous eggs is fertile.

Has anyone done this before? Thanks very much in advance.
Breeding birds with eggs should not be allowed to venture outside because there is always a chance that something can happen to one of them.

If the eggs aren't incubated toss them out and allow the new pair to lay and hatch their own 2 eggs and don't allow them to fly around outside.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
the egg is viable for about 5 or so days if not incubated, if she did sit on the "fridge" egg before you took it out of the nest, and it started to develope it would of died in the fridge, if not then it is possible for the egg to hatch. raising three would not be recommended as others have said. but some do it and others do not, I think you should do what is best for the birds and not yourself, If you keep that in mind it's hard to go wrong with your birds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts