Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few pigeons that have lost the feathers on their throat. Any ideas why this has happened?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have a few pigeons that have lost the feathers on their throat. Any ideas why this has happened?
If it is anything like all my birds that have lost feathers on their throat, it is because they are going through a heavy body molt right now. Perfectly normal but the birds look awful for a few weeks. I can't guarentee that this is the reason for your problem, but I know that that is what is going on with mine.

Dan

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Probably just the moult. With young pigeons, the development of the feathers under the beak can be delayed by canker...but your situation sounds more like the moult.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
It can also be an indication of worms.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If it is in an area where they can't pick at, it could also be blood sucking mites.
I have a bird that is lossing soft feathers on the throat area also. I check it and it looks like its not the moulting problem, it's like the feather are cut in half. Is it mites?? What is use for mites???

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Sevin dust that you can buy at seed and grain places, or hardware stores. Scat, a spray you can buy at pet shops. They also carry other lice and mite sprays. Sprays, you can buy online at pigeon supply places.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts