Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i found a sick 2-3 y.o. feral pigeon like a week ago and have been trying to get him back into shape since then. He was sitting in a corner on the ground in darkness when i noticed him. Ground around him was covered in somewhat flourescent looking bright green unshaped poops. Took him home immediately and put him on sulfa and baytril cause there are no avian vets at all around here in an 8 hour drive radius. And he had obviously diarrhea, lethargy like he was stoned, no awareness at all. Also he has a pimple like dry lump on his breast next to keel bone. Well i have syringe fed him since then. BUT on that first day i gave him some wheat seeds thought he didnt eat and didnt try again. Fed him diluted baby biscuits with diazyme - vitamin b complex mix or salt -honey mix in it, alternated. Also treated him with ivermectin 4 days ago to cover my bases.
His poops gained shape in time but feces only. Urates were soupy and excessive like reaaaly excessive urination persisted. Then today he pooped only feces in huge pool of urines with no white part. Feces were also blackish very dark green.

So i immediately switched to baby formula (4- 8 months veggy based) fed him. Also to stimulate his instinct to eat by himself and try some seeds after a whole week i gave him 3 pea sized grits and some smaller oyster shell grits. While i was at it also lubricated his gizzard with 2 drops of olive oil. Then when i put him back in his sterile box he threw up a little formula. I was like WTF??? Wheat seeds he pecked a week ago came out within formula. And yes i m %100 positive he didnt have access to those since then.

Here i m. Standing at the brink of surrender. You heard the whole story please help me suggest something guys. It is extremely urgent.

He is way more energetic than the time i found him, yet he is still unable to fly and lethargic and wont eat or drink by himself.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Maybe he picked the seeds from a place more recently.

If the seeds look like they stayed a week in humid environment, they should look accordingly. Usually, if he has blocked crop or blocked gissard, he couldn't pass any solid droppings. An explanation could be that some seeds compacted in a lump that didn't block the communication with the gissard and the crop maintaned its functionality. That compacted food could be the lump you felt.

Compacted food can be dispersed by massage but this massage is quite tricky. You have to move your fingers on the wall of the body inside the crop until you feel no food is on this wall (until you feel body's hard surface through the crop's skin). And also try to find compacted food in all of crop's corner, like in upper parts or beyond the neck and when find such a lump, ofcourse you must disperse it.

Most important: you make the massage only after inserting 10 ml of water or more.

Sometimes is candida developed inside the crop. If you aspire with the tubed syringe the liquid inside and find it milky (it happened to me) I think (but I'm not sure) is candida you you have to treat with nystastin or apple cider vinegar. The best way to treat fungi is with Vfend (Voriconazole). Is extremely expensive but administered in high dosage destroys candida and even aspergillus (I tried myself after getting some Vfend for free from some goodhearted druggist).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the guidelines. I m going to try massaging carefully after crop empties. I m a bit afraid though what if this object is something like a nail or some sort of metal? Would it hurt his gizzard? Hell i m gonna hold a magnet against his gizzard from a distance first to see if there is any magnetism before massaging. And yes strange it may seem, i m totally sure he had the only chance to eat those seeds a week ago. Seeds were swollen and soft after a week.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Thanks for the guidelines. I m going to try massaging carefully after crop empties. I m a bit afraid though what if this object is something like a nail or some sort of metal? Would it hurt his gizzard? Hell i m gonna hold a magnet against his gizzard from a distance first to see if there is any magnetism before massaging. And yes strange it may seem, i m totally sure he had the only chance to eat those seeds a week ago. Seeds were swollen and soft after a week.
You mean that lump is something like a solid object? That might be the explanation. Try to grab it through the crop skin and see if it can be moved.

Also, massage the crop now, especially the body's wall, don't wait to get empty.

Dark droppings means is blood from internal wound caused by an object:
http://beautyofbirds.com/poopology.html

If there is an object, the only chance to extract it is to make a cut in the crop's skin. In that case, the cut must be made some 2 cm down from the upper limit of the crop and some 2 cm outward from the middle of the crop (from the imaginary line through the middle of the body). Remove the feathers in the area and cut with a disinfected nail scissors taking care to not section a major blood vessel. The crop's wall is like 0.5 cm thick and are several layers so cut them all until you see the inside space. Then, try to grab the object through the crop's skin and push it out without introducing any object inside the crop to reduce the risks of infection. By pushing through crop'skin try to extract the undigested food too. After that, stitch the hole with common thread (don't forget to remove it after a week). Give the bird amoxicillin 50 mg / day / for 4 days or lincospectin injection for three days to prevent infection.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't cut the birds crop. And AndreiS, you cannot post for someone to do that. That should only be done by a vet. You don't have the bird, and have no idea of what it needs or doesn't need.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
AndeiS - you need to read the "Forum Rules of Conduct" which strongly states that no one should advocate doing ANY surgical procedure(s) on pigeons. Please do not ever suggest this. It is up to the caretaker to take the bird to a qualified bird vet to check out what is wrong with the bird. .

rocker47 - please do it not try to do any surgical procedures on your own. That was very bad advice and against PT rules for anyone to advocate doing it. Please seek professional help if the bird continues to have problems. Thank you for caring for this bird, and good luck.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I didn't know about that. Sorry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey great news. Today i woke up, went to check this little guy only to find his box was empty! Started looking for him and when i found him he was sitting in a dark corner cleaning his feathers with a perfect formed poop near him. :D
I still gave him the sulfa med after formula breakfast and a few more pea size grits. Afterwards i massaged his crop a bit just in case and left him on couch for a while. When i came back he was trying to eat wheat through a transparent seed container. I took some and sprinkled in front him. You should ve seen it, he ate em up like there was no tomorrow. :):eek:

I can positively say now, mission succeeded. :rolleyes: only he cant fly yet. I ll find a vet for that.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Great news!! Congratulations. Please make sure the little guy has access to grit and water at all times. Again, thanks for your care.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does he still have the bump near his keel? Photo? You said its a dry lump in your first post- is this maybe a scab from a puncture wound? I'm glad that he's eating and pooping now!

Also during extreme dehydration and starvation seeds may not pass from the crop and can sometimes become impacted. I've used olive oil and massage(depending on severity) to free impacted seeds. Flight is likely impacted because his body was consuming muscle as he wasted away. Do you see any physical signs of issues with his wings such as drooping or wing tips sitting unevenly?
I wouldn't be too freaked out about the change in his poops at first as he gets back to eating again.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If you started a med than you should finish giving it for the prescribed time. He should be checked out by a vet to know for sure what is going on, but can't test for bacteria when he is on medication. Bright green flourescent droppings are not good.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
flourescent looking bright green droppings can be salmonella. Starvation droppings are usually a darker green.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.